New Markaudio Drivers

You do not want to use it on the MAOP. It was suggestted to helpout the wild ringing in the Al woofers.

easiest to go active

dave

Aha only for the SEAS woofers, to reduce that massive peak. Do these applications significantly change the T/S specs? After all, they would affect (increase) cone mass (aka moving mass) which would change (lower) the free air resonance frequency and (lower) sensitivity.

I currently use an integrated amplifier. I have considered going active with a PLLXO but I would then need a preamp and a power amp with 4 channels of amplification. The 2 options I can think of are the Marantz 7055 (it has 5 channels but I can use only 4) or the Emotiva BasX A4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the low XO frequency, possibly, as the HD peaks are already likely to be quite well suppressed so you may just be able to roll it off & forget about them.
Does the fact that the drivers are operating at 90 deg off-axis with respect to the listener also help reduce the audibility of this peak (given that it will also be filtered)?

Anyway, right now I am trying to find information on matching a side-mounted woofer with a front-facing midrange/full range. Even if I can get the FRD curves of the SEAS driver they are not of much use since these are taken on-axis and this application uses the SEAS drivers 90 deg off-axis.

What would be the challenges with symmetrically opposed side-mounted woofers? Phase?

While I really want to see this "Blade Style ML-TL" design to fruition I am also prepared that (given that I come from the world of multi-way speakers) a helper tweeter (either front or rear-facing) might be required. If so a small dome tweeter like the Wavecor TW013WA01 is an option since it is available locally.

I used the Rega 5 to make a crude image of what the final speaker might look like. The port could be rear-facing as well.

Rega 5 based concept.jpg

Last edited:
Does the fact that the drivers are operating at 90 deg off-axis with respect to the listener also help reduce the audibility of this peak (given that it will also be filtered)?
No. It's not the peak itself that might (might) be the issue: it's what it does to the harmonic distortion at sub-multiples of its own frequency. As noted, given the low crossover point, you'll probably shunt them sufficiently low to be inaudible without needing further work -depends on the motor & the driver's inherent HD performance. But without measuring, you don't know.

Anyway, right now I am trying to find information on matching a side-mounted woofer with a front-facing midrange/full range. Even if I can get the FRD curves of the SEAS driver they are not of much use since these are taken on-axis and this application uses the SEAS drivers 90 deg off-axis.
Which is why we measure ourselves. Investing in even a simple USB measurement microphone + stand (a lot cheaper than the drivers and the amount invested in cabinet materials) and downloading a free piece of software like REW reaps dividends. ;)

What would be the challenges with symmetrically opposed side-mounted woofers? Phase?
Frequency response + phasing within & potentially above the passband. It's no different to anything else in that sense: you have responses that you work with & manipulate to achieve a desired set of results.

Reactions: 1 users
Ref: woofer - midrange/full range integration for symmetrically opposed side-firing woofers
Which is why we measure ourselves. Investing in even a simple USB measurement microphone + stand (a lot cheaper than the drivers and the amount invested in cabinet materials) and downloading a free piece of software like REW reaps dividends. ;)
I used to have access to measuring equipment in the 80s and 90s (LinearX's LEAP/LMS in the US and DRALabs's MLSSA when I lived in Germany); I don't now. Besides I cant measure drivers I don't own. I am prepared to import drivers (I have found Madisound is well equipped to ship to India maybe because they are large enough to have the knowledge/infrastructure to crate the drivers so they aren't damaged in transit) once I have a final design.

One of the primary reasons I am DIYing is because I can't afford any loudspeaker that I like, and I don't care much for any loudspeaker I can afford. India has punitive customs duties (30-50% of CIF) that are compounded by high local taxes (28% of CIF+duty). By importing drivers I only pay these taxes/duties on the components and not on cabinets and labour which can be done locally.

Not enuff toget you out of the productin spread unless you purposely really load it up which would take many coats and is furtehr than i would go.
I did find another woofer whose peak is higher up (7k) but it was $50 more expensive than the H1488. 8 woofers would add $400 to the budget.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...e-l16rnx3-6-aluminum-cone-woofer-h1869-8-ohm/

Meanwhile, I got to know from Madisound's website that the H1488 L16RNX is now out of stock. No idea how long it would take for them to get fresh stock.

The rectangular box, the simplification, of the concept is the key here.

I tried just about every sub $200 6" and 7" woofer Madisound has in stock in WINISD. The SEAS H1488 L16RNX and Eton 7-612 C832RP aren't available but I found a SEAS Prestige unit that might work for this system. Have you tried this woofer before? Will a QTs of 0.31 work in a ML-TL? I was under the impression that a Qts greater than 0.35 is ideal.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...estige-l18rnx/p-h1224-7-aluminum-cone-woofer/

If I were to stick to locally available components
Would using 4 of these in an ML-TL work?
https://diyaudiocart.com/Wavecor-SW178WA01-7"-Aluminum-Cone-Subwoofer-8-Ohm?search=wavecor&page=1
mated to either the 7HD or Alpair 6.2. Between the 7HD and 6.2 which has the more extended high frequencies?

Thanks.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
@navin I noticed you posted on the Vituixcad thread showing the Blade clone. It seems KEF have a good product that combines performance, looks and convenience. I thought I'd add that a DIYer might be inclined to give up the low profile frontage to lower their baffle step frequency...

Blade2.png

Reactions: 1 user
@navin I noticed you posted on the Vituixcad thread showing the Blade clone. It seems KEF have a good product that combines performance, looks and convenience. I thought I'd add that a DIYer might be inclined to give up the low profile frontage to lower their baffle step frequency...

View attachment 1056659

Thanks, I did consider this idea based on an MAOP 10 based idea I saw on this elsewhere forum (see pic below)...
MAOP10ae.jpg MAOP10b.jpeg

...but I am designing with WAF in mind. Having a visually wide loudspeaker (wider baffle) might not work in my instance hence I considered side-firing woofers (see pic) in push-push to reduce vibrations. When I was in Germany I had heard the Audio Physic systems and they produced good bass for their size especially considering they were passive (not active like Def Tech or any of the others who use an active subwoofer integrated below a 2-way speaker). The bass was tighter than the bass of the NHT1259 woofer based on the NHT 3.3 (or even the smaller NHT 2.5).
audio physics avantera (350x800).jpg

The other option (keeping a narrow baffle) would be to use 4 woofers on the same baffle as the full range (see pics) but that does not change my baffle step frequency much.

s1ex.jpg KEF Ref 5 Cutaway-300.jpg

I hope by posting on the VituixCad section I did not inadvertently flout any forum rules. I thought my issue was more about my understanding of the software so chose to explain my challenges with the software on that sub-forum.

Thanks.,