who can make a flat pack for Alpair 10.3 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where are you located? I’d be happy to make you a flat pack, but preferably if you’re local. Mainly because I think shipping wouldn’t be very affordable.

I don’t have a CNC machine but I can definitely cut a sheet using my tools and test fit the assembly before delivering.

Would you like Baltic birch plywood, MDF or something else?

Regardless, I’d use a different approach than the design for the back relief on the speaker. It would be a 45deg bevel instead of just 20deg. The 45deg bevel would be applied all around, except where the driver screws are located for support. That’s similar to what is employed on the frugal horn.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. I'm also looking for a flat pack or preferably a premade bookshelf cabinet for an Alpair 10p. I know there are flat packs for floorstanding cabinets available from the UK, but these exceed my budget and size constraints (small NYC apartment). Any ideas?

I also don't have the space, but i know a company that supplies good wood and cuts the wood for me. I give the designs in pdf or audocad format and they cut it clean with an CNC exact right. You should probally do the same where you live.

My own designed subs (big oldskool ported speakers) costed me 150€ for the wood (18mm MDF) and the cutting for 2 speakers, so it's not that expensive over here in Belgium. I just had to assemble them, paint them and add the driver and so...

Bumping this thread. I'm also looking for a flat pack or preferably a premade bookshelf cabinet for an Alpair 10p. I know there are flat packs for floorstanding cabinets available from the UK, but these exceed my budget and size constraints (small NYC apartment). Any ideas?

I made this design a few times, first for myself (and used it in a small appartment for years) and also for a few others who were very pleased with it. It's very good sounding (especially powered with a tube amp), only the bass is a bit vague and undefined (but very good for a 6.5" FR speaker). I now still use mine, but in combination with a big subwoofer with an 10 Scanspeak driver and a 1st order CR at 180Hz

It's designed for a german company who sells all the stuff needed but the wood as a kit:

Mark 4

As you are in NY, it's probally better to source the components where you live as importing it from Germany will be expensive.

Attachments

• mark4_2d.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

You can check with Planet10.

AFAIK he does flat-packs of a few designs and from time to time has a few finished items in stock too.

Last edited:
Scott has a simple bookshelf design for the 10p that works excellently. I used it recently until switching into Pensils, and i was amazed at how good a job they did with the 10p.

Bass reflex standmounts 10.3 / 10P

I had a local carpenter make the cuts for me, costing the equivalent of $120 (18mm BB ply). I glued them up myself which was easy enough. If you have a carpenter local to you he might also help out with routing for the driver.

Zia - Dave may have a few flatlaks left in stock for smaller MA and Fostex drivers, and certainly some fully assembled speakers - mostly with drivers included- Just too much stuff, almost giving it away, part 4 , but is no longer in a position to produce new kits.

There are more than enough enclosure designs for these drivers that would be fairly simple builds, and while when building speakers I certainly took advantage of a CNC for rebating driver cutouts and non rectilinear cuts, many of those designs require no more elaborate woodworking equipment than a well equipped table saw and hole cutting router jig.

I’d definitely suggest that high quality plywood - Baltic Birch, etc - should be considered essential for such a build. Due to the combination of thick frame and shallow cone profile, the original Alpair series require both rebating of driver cut-out for flush mounting, as well as chamfering of rear side of opening. The Pluvia, and new MS models have a much thinner frame - designed to eliminate need for rebate - and more open basket leg design, but even shallower cone profile so they still need the rear of cut out to be chamfered.

Lastly, to repeat what I’ve said many times before, given the availability of (floor)space, I’d generally choose a floorstander such as Scott’s Pensils or straightline MLTLs over a bookshelf/ standmount design for the same driver. The difference in material costs between the two would likely be less than that of a decent pair of stands, the net amount floorspace required would be the same, and unless poorly designed/built, the larger enclosure should deliver better bass extension and dynamics. Of course, there are numerous exceptions to that rule - I’m currently running systems with three - a very nearfield computer desktop, and centre channel & perimeter surrounds in a 7.1 HT system. Then there’s the “Sub/Sat” modular concept, with small enclosure operating anywhere from low 100’s Hz on up, supported by separate woofer/s - either mono or stereo, depending on chosen XO frequency.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… looking for a flat pack or preferably a premade bookshelf cabinet for an Alpair 10p.

We are out of the flat-pak business (in the days we had shop access a set of CGR Mar-Ken could be done. But today i am down to 2 pair of Trapezoid Mar-Ken, one for A10.3 (althou A10p will work fine in it) , one for A10p.. One set has colour matched drivers so you’d have to buy them too. The others have not yet been repopulated so coulld be had sans drivers.

We never made trapezoid flat-paks — too hard, easier and less labour intensive to do a built pair. These are veneered in Cherry. No pictures at this point.

The larger fancier ones with the A10PeN drivers i do have a picture of.

Mar-Ken10pTT.jpg

dave

At 27 litres they are trying to extract bass out of the driver but just end up with a wooly bottom end. Optimum A10.3 box is much smaller. Optimum volume for miniOnken tuning is 13 litres, Scott’s genric reflex box is 16 litres.

dave

I know, but the trick works better than you say. But after 3 years with those i changed the setup with adding some big low tuned subs and a 1st order cr at 180hz and that setup is magic...

Note that the Elipssa shown, and the monolithic MTMs Dave often posts both feature A7.3 as wideband unit. “We” have played around a fair bit with actual builds of almost every model of driver from Mark Audio since the CSS EL70, and while the smaller models ( i.e. 5 /6/7 cm families) tend to have between a marginal to quite distinct advantage in terms of highest octave, the 10cm class* do so well in the bottom 2 that it’s hard not to heartily endorse their overall performance.
I guess there’s more than a scooch of subjectivity to the question of what constitutes the threshold of minimally compromised enclosure for them ( A10s, et al) when not supported with woofers.

* A10.3/P, Pluvia 11 , A11MS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.