Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piggback 4-Ohm Tweeter with 8-Ohm Speaker
Piggback 4-Ohm Tweeter with 8-Ohm Speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th July 2018, 07:36 AM   #1
jt88 is offline jt88
diyAudio Member

Default Piggback 4-Ohm Tweeter with 8-Ohm Speaker

Hello,

I just bought a pair of Pioneer Pro Series TS-B400PRO 4" 500W Bullet Tweeters. I connected the 4-ohm tweeter parallel to the Klipsch Forte III 8-ohm speaker high/mid terminals on the back of the speaker. I connected the Forte lower frequency terminal to my Yaqin tube amp 8-ohm tap.

The sound was amazing and everything worked for a few days. Then, one power tube broke, no more light. Then my two right channel CV181(6SN7) tubes generated a very loud hum and sent my bias meter all the way to the max. I had to replace these "defective" tubes and disconnect the tweeters, now everything works again.

Did I just blow the tubes piggybacking the new 4-Ohm tweeters to 8-ohm speakers or was it just a sheer coincidence? The Yaqin tube also has 4-ohm taps, should I connect the tweeters to them instead and leave the the 8-ohm taps connected to the Forte sharing a common ground/negative tap? Will I short the amp this way?

Appreciate your advice!

Thanks,
JT
Old 8th July 2018, 11:30 AM   #2
Rev. Billy Bob is offline Rev. Billy Bob  United States
diyAudio Member

Were you using a high pass filter of some sort when you had your new tweeters hooked up?

Last edited by Rev. Billy Bob; 8th July 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 9th July 2018, 01:59 AM   #3
jt88 is offline jt88
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response. Yes, I used the capacitor/condenser that came with the Pioneer tweeter.
Old 11th July 2018, 04:52 AM   #4
jt88 is offline jt88
diyAudio Member

Can someone out there provide some answers to my original questions please? Thank you!
Old 11th July 2018, 08:10 AM   #5
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm not a tube amp user but AFAIK you can use either the 4R tap or 8R tap but not both at the same time.

Your speaker is supposed to be 8R compatible but individual sections could be well below that. Even if the impedance above 5.2kHz is 8R, when you parallel a 4R driver it drops to around 2R67 which most amps do not like. You may have to run it in series which would give around 12R.

Other than that you have the roll off the original tweeter with a filter network and the added tweeter needs a filter to crossover at the desired frequency.
Old 12th July 2018, 06:53 PM   #6
jt88 is offline jt88
diyAudio Member

Very helpful information, Rabbitz. I'll connect the tweeter in series. Thank you!
Old 15th July 2018, 07:53 AM   #7
jt88 is offline jt88
diyAudio Member

I connected the tweeter in series as follows:
Amp + to Main Speaker +
Main speaker - to capacitor to Tweeter +
Tweeter - to Amp -

The Tweeter now sounds louder than the main speaker. Is this because I don't use a cross over?

Alternatively, if I get an 8-Ohm Tweeter and connect it parallel to the 8-Ohm Main Speaker, would that combination result in 4-Ohm that I can connect to the Amp's 4-Ohm tap safely?

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

Piggback 4-Ohm Tweeter with 8-Ohm SpeakerHide this!Advertise here!