Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Karlson koax driver
Karlson koax driver
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2018, 03:36 AM   #12
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

It's efficient enough, but why?

GM
Old 7th July 2018, 06:43 AM   #13
Sarah Rose is offline Sarah Rose
diyAudio Member

Charles Mingus once told, keping things simple is genius! Making them complicated every idiot can do..........If I go this way I has to be two way.
Most monitoring speekers are two way. The rest HighEnd Nirwana...my five cents...sorry My five string bas is simple my big Gotrian two. no keybord can do this! All electronic stuff is great, I love them. To express other feelings. Dreaming, angry, explosing, crying out, you can do only with real instruments........
Old 7th July 2018, 01:18 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

True, but the 604 is an XO'd woofer, separate HF horn two way, so no need for a separate [super] tweeter.

GM
Old 8th July 2018, 07:10 PM   #15
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

Karlson koax driver
- - If you are just using a high quality woofer, then even a cheap compression driver can give good results with a K-tube either inside the front chamber or on top of the cabinet. Here's an 8 inch K with tube on top.

GM - what might I do to make a new "K10" with very little emphasis in the 220Hz region? An additional chamber could be added to the front chamber. There was a curved reflector in this cabinet. I might take Art Welter's dad's interpretation of a "K8", load with Delta Pro8a and compare.

YouTube
Old 11th July 2018, 08:51 AM   #16
blakkshepeaudio is offline blakkshepeaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hey Freddi, I still have two uncommitted P-Audio BM15-CX38's. Reckon they could work in A Karlson type cabinet ?
They are spectacular in the MLTLs I built.
Active (MiniDSP) crossovers.
Specs here:
P.Audio Coaxial Speakers - P.Audio BM15CX38 coaxial 15" speaker - P.Audio BM15CX38 500 watt 15" coaxial speaker for all full range applications. P.Audio BM15CX38 15" coaxial and other P.Audio coaxial speakers here.
Old 11th July 2018, 11:46 AM   #17
coit is offline coit
diyAudio Member

Karlson koax driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkshepeaudio View Post
Hey Freddi, I still have two uncommitted P-Audio BM15-CX38's. Reckon they could work in A Karlson type cabinet ?
They are spectacular in the MLTLs I built.
Active (MiniDSP) crossovers.
Specs here:
P.Audio Coaxial Speakers - P.Audio BM15CX38 coaxial 15" speaker - P.Audio BM15CX38 500 watt 15" coaxial speaker for all full range applications. P.Audio BM15CX38 15" coaxial and other P.Audio coaxial speakers here.
I have two of these, open baffle above two Sigma Pro in vented cabinets.
Could you give me the details of your MLTL's?
Old 12th July 2018, 05:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Karlson koax driver
those would work fine as long as they have a nice clear midrange - you will give up LF extension vs a larger MLTL - but the bass you have should be good. I have a P-Audio SN15X in a Karlson. Les Hudson used the BM15CXA.
Old 12th July 2018, 07:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddi View Post
GM - what might I do to make a new "K10" with very little emphasis in the 220Hz region? An additional chamber could be added to the front chamber.
Don't recall any K10, but in general, to limit HF gain is to use a driver with an upper mass corner at least a 1/2 octave below it. A band stop filter and maybe some form of EQ if chambered is all I can think of ATM[scroll down]: http://users.cms.caltech.edu/~ps/All.pdf

GM
Old 15th August 2018, 09:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Karlson koax driver
Here's old pictureS I dug up of a little homemade "Rocket" type K-coupler loaded with a Polk 5" AND 6.5" coax. There's a K-tube mounted over its 1" dome tweeter.

I'm guessing the coupler slopes are 6 and 12 degrees like the old Karlson KR-5 "Rocket"

Polk's coax sound pretty good in regular Karlson (sealed back chamber) and the 6 inch variety
should be decent in 8 inch klam.

6.5" cOUPLER
Click the image to open in full size.

5" COUPLER
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by freddi; 15th August 2018 at 09:48 PM.

Karlson koax driverHide this!Advertise here!