Stephens Vintage TruSonic 120 CX Speakers - What to do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All. I have minimal experience with audio systems so pardon my lack of understanding of speaker terminology. I'm looking for advice on what to do with a set of vintage speakers I came across from a home I just purchased. The home is like a perfectly preserved time capsule from the early 60's. I opened the backs of the speaker cabinets and found they each contain a 12" speaker labeled "Stephens Trusonic 120 CX" that appear to be in excellent shape with absolutely no signs of wear. Each speaker is also connected to a dial on the rear of the cabinet labeled "Brilliance." Any thoughts on how much each speaker may be worth or where I can get a ballpark price, or am I better off tossing them into the dumpster when we start cleaning out the house? If I attempt to sell them in the future, is it better to remove them from the cabinets or keep the speaker/cabinet intact? I appreciate any feedback.

Wow, I had no idea that they have a decent value to them. I've attached pics of the speaker cabinets and rear/inside shots, as well as the medallion on the front of the speaker cabinet. Not sure if the speaker cabinets are desirable from a resale standpoint. My next question is: where do people go to sell things such as these?

Attachments

• IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1366.JPG
    IMG_1366.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 254
You may have to fiddle with the Brilliance knob to get sound from the tweeter. Turn it back and forth a few times before testing.
Can you give us one more pic of the bottom of the cabinet from the back? Curious about the vent, if any.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that they are desirable speakers.
Any thoughts from the group on the best way to sell them? Do stores buy these, or is online my best bet? I simply do not have the time or space to keep them. In fact, the next items I need to examine are the turntable and amp/tuner that was attached. I would love to see the speaker set go to someone who really appreciates these sort of things.
Phivates: I included a pic of the bottom of the cabinet.

Attachments

• IMG_1368 (1).JPG
    IMG_1368 (1).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 112
Definitely eBay.

I typically list my items Buy-It-Now at an above-market price for a week (if for nothing other than to rack up watchers) then send them to auction: $1 starting price, no reserve, 10 day auction beginning Thursday at 8:30PM. That way, the auction ends the following Sunday evening when everyone is at home preparing for the week.

Works out very well for me every time. I buy and sell a lot of vintage speakers.

Be sure to have shipping options sorted before listing the speakers, and take clear, brightly lit photos from all sides -- sunlight is best.

If you can offer international shipping, you will most likely sell them for a higher price.

What are the dimensions of the cabinets?

The dimensions are 24" wide; 27" high; 16" deep. Each cabinet feels like it weighs about 60 lbs.
I appreciate the sales tips from everyone. I am going to try the swap meet section on this site and ebay within the net week or so. These babies need a good home where they can be enjoyed.

You have a very cool thing. Keep them. Like an Eames chair, these are what you’d call classic... not “old” or outdated.

Curious what was hooked up to them.

If it’s the Herman Miller console you have a really nice item on your hands.

They are large and if you don’t know what you are doing you’ll damage them in shipment. if you get a local offer they’ll likely lowball you and they’ll sit in a corner while you wait for top dollar.

Where are you located? California; presumably?

I assume in a home you live in you will want to listen to music or television?

I’d reconsider your approach. Even if you get rid of the turntable and amp these might be keepers. Depending, they may be more valuable than the speakers.

If you were to give it a go:

Get a little Tripath amp like this:

Amazon.com: SMSL SA50 50Wx2 TDA7492 Class D Amplifier + Power Adapter (Black): Electronics

and hook a streaming player or your TV to them.

Can’t hurt to try.

IMHO Problem solved.

Last edited:
In response to spaceintheplace's post, I'm from New Jersey and grew up near the beach, or as we say here, the Shore. Great fishing too!
It's funny: The house contains the Eames chair you mentioned that is a reproduction of the original. It was made by a furniture firm in Maine in the late 50's or early 60's. Just like everything else in this time-capsule house, it's in great condition.
I did some more checking of the audio equipment within the last hour and it appears the speakers were hooked up to a Bell Stereophonic 3030, which I have no idea what it is. The label on the turntable indicates it's an Elac Miracord XS200 that was made in Western Germany. Have any of you guys heard of these companies?
I can't keep the components since I simply do not have the space. I appreciate the fact there are audio fans out there such as the people on this string that can enjoy this equipment and give it a new life.

Tristate should be easy to unload.

I didn’t think anyone in Jersey still had good taste! But I guess the original tastemakers are long gone by now anyways.

Try craigslist or offer up and see what happens.

Search for the other pieces of kit on eBay to see going rate (completed listings, not pie in the sky buy it now prices that’ll never sell)

Expect to take a little less for pickup / cash and carry.

Last edited:
I just used my old Stephens 150w for a 17-foot pipe.

17 foot pipe sub 12-230 Hz ±5dB

Great drivers. Edge wound voice coils. The coaxial tweeter is a toroid shaped diaphragm with a bit of a horn, if I am not mistaken. Crossover, if anything besides just a high pass capacitor to tweeter, is likely pretty basic.

The company was an offshoot of Lansing, late '50s, I'd guess. Nothing the least bit out of date about the drivers.... a sad comment about drivers today. If you have no attachment to them, might as well flog them to someone who does. Or keep 'em and you have great drivers. (I don't know if the speakers are as classy as the drivers.)

B.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.