Full range recomendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I build the Frugal horn mk3 with the Alpair 7.3 and they sound beautiful.

So, what do I miss.
Sound wise not much, but you always want more...
Efficiency. Right now I drive them with my Hegel H190 and that is actually a nice match, but I build them for my ACA (I got the kit just need to put it together) and I am afraid the ACA simply do not have the muscle to drive them.
Max SPL. Could be I keep them in the living room. Here they are also used for surround sound and when the wife is out I sometimes see a action movie at a "realistic sound level" :D

So...
If I where to try another driver/speaker that sounds even better than my frugal horn and is more efficient, what would I build?
Any suggestions?

No idea in a frugal horn but the Audio Nirvana classic 4+ has a good looking graph and is 7db more sensitive giving you approx 4 times the sound pressure fir the same amp watts.

Audio Nirvana Fullrange DIY speaker kits and amplifiers for sale. 3 inches to 15 inches. The world's best sound at prices anyone can afford.

Hmmmmm, I got a AN 6.5 super and don't like it.
Ear bleeding and no bass. I tried it in both a horn and in a bass reflex recommended by Commonsenseaudio.
I know Mr.Pass has written nice things about the AN drivers, so they can't be that awfull....
I suspect that it is the 6.5 that is the problem, maybe I should give the 10" a try...

Hi Twocents

I got the impression from planet10 that the alpair 7.3 is the best speaker when talking about sound quality and I would be better of using a woofer/subwoofer with Mk3 than building the XL.
Maybe somebody can comment on this?

I had lived with the A7 for several years, and built literally dozens of different designs for it, including many pairs of FH3. It’s a wonderful driver, but doesn’t break any laws of physics- if you have the requisite floor space either of the A10s in the FHXL will definitely deliver deeper bass and more sensitivity than the FH3/A7.3 . Many folks would find the larger system not needing support of a woofer for music; for home theatre- different story I think.

As for the ACA - definitely a sweet little piece, and deserving of the highest resolution upstream gear / source material as possible. I can’t wait for Dave to complete his slow and methodical audition of his new system and finally install the second one to run the pair in bridged mode.

Last edited:
While I don't have the same retail sales experience with either of these designs as do you, I have listened extensively to both in quite a few environments, and I think my numerous pronouncements on the subject would support those findings.

Do have experience to share on the Pluvia11 / A10.3? I hesitate to use "versus" - perhaps vis a vis is milder?

I've never quite been able to get the P11 working right in my room somehow. When I've taken it to other places, such as this weekends show, it's been absolutely stonking. It really belts the bass out and as far as widebandera are concerned is as near indestructible as you are likely to get. I think the A10 is probably slightly more refined though. The new A11 so far looks like it can do both tricks!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...the Audio Nirvana classic 4+ has a good looking graph and is 7db more sensitive giving you approx 4 times the sound pressure fir the same amp watts.

It is only speced a couple dB (or less) sensitive (88.5 dB), and from the specified Fs of 122 Hz will not be nearly as bass capable.

For HT use, add woofers. fill up the 0.1 channel.

Unless you really like to push it, you will be quite surprised at how well the ACA does.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A7.3 in the FH3 will deliver a bit more DDR/detail/subtlety than the A10.3 in the FHXL, but the latter has decidely more bass, and to realize what the A7.3 brings to the party, the front end has to be such that the detail is not lost before it gets to the speaker, and the listener’s ear/brain needs a certain amount of training.

The A10p is a different voicing and just different.

dave

Just a comment about their use in surround.
I have a hybrid setup, where my Hegel acts like a power amp using a HT passthrough, so when talking about surround bass is not an issue this is taken care of by two Velodyne subwoofers :)

@Twocents.
Thanks for the link i will take a look at it after work.
I bought a couple of Tang Band W6-1139sif and have made the first subwoofer prototype. Its ventet but I havn't got the port correct yet, I think.... going to experiment a litte more. I also found a site with plans for a folded horn for this speaker I think I try to build this to and see which one is best - then I will make one more so there is one for each FG.
But the one I have build is currently connected to the pre out on my Hegel and with REW and my minidsp I have tried to integrate the sub which is powered by a Nuforce amp.
When I finish the ACA I am going to try to go "full active" and cut the low frequency from the FG and drive these with the ACA.The two subs will take care of bass.
Thats the idear anyway. Don't know how it will sound but I am having fun :)

When I am finished playing around I wound not be surprised if I build the FG XL - sounds like it will be a keeper :)

When I finish the ACA I am going to try to go "full active" and cut the low frequency from the FG and drive these with the ACA.The two subs will take care of bass.
Thats the idear anyway. Don't know how it will sound but I am having fun :)
As far as I understand, this is exactly a WAW setup. I assume FG is for Frugal Horn?

When I finish the ACA
Ah, so you don't know if the ACA will run out of steam for the A7.3 yet?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The A7.3 in the FH3 will deliver a bit more DDR/detail/subtlety than the A10.3 in the FHXL, but the latter has decidely more bass, and to realize what the A7.3 brings to the party, the front end has to be such that the detail is not lost before it gets to the speaker, and the listener’s ear/brain needs a certain amount of training.

The A10p is a different voicing and just different.

Let me add to that. Adding a woofer to a FR frees the FR from the heavy lifting and goes a long ways to improving its mid/top performance.

It also adds an XO which you have to get right, it helps that the XO is low in frequency.

The FHs are intended to get near as much bass as is practical from a driver, and as such is perhaps more effort than required if you are going to use the FR as a midTweeter. With a FH i would be XOing quite low. FH3 somewhere 60-80 Hz, FHXL half an octave lower.

A WAW has huge potential but also adds complexity that makes it trickier to get the same seemless performance as a single FR driver.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.