New 10'' FR driver found

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys,
I’ve a pair of Nos Flat 8 & also a pair of 10F-60. Wired them up in an OB just for a listen &
what I found was the 10F-60 sounded much better overall. Yes though it shows nothing much but when you slowing look into the details of the woofers, Corals are really very very well engineered.

McGee was THE "wish book" in the 1960's and 70's. I remember pages with CTS, Cletron, lusting over Goodmans, Phillips (fullrange !!) , "systems" with selected drivers and baffle boards. I ordered an 18" CTS woofer from them around 1969 - IIRC, 54oz square magnet, and had a rubber disc cemented to its dustcap. The poor thing ran from an Allied - Knight 6BQ5 p-p mono amp. My stereo amp was the EICO ST70 (still a great design to this day). I had a McGee "double magnet" fullrange 6.5" in a big vent reflex. I don't know if a reconer could do anything with say an EV18B and a whiizzer cone. EV's SP15 went to 10KHz on axis. I have one with the odd "control" in an R-J cabinet and it sounded 100X better than my Nirvana Super 10 on upright bass transients.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20190107_152731.jpg
    20190107_152731.jpg
    793.8 KB · Views: 934
I can get a pair of Fane 12-250TC for $280 inc shipping from Thomann (Germany) for $280. They get good reviews on this forum. And they can handle a bit more power. I am looking to get a pair soon (back in stock in 1 or 2 weeks).
Fane Sovereign 12-250 TC – Thomann Australia

I have a couple of those Fanes 12-250TC in a sealed cabinet.
I am very happy with them.
Best price in the UK is Blue Aran at 71GBP

Slightly OT guys, when I testing out an OB , I tried a Coral Flat 8 as well as a Coral 10F-60.
Was surprise that the 10F-60 sounded so much better, no spiky peaks etc. Dare I say it sounded very close to my reference ML Odyssey speakers but not as transparent in the highs. Will build a box to house it someday. If there’s any opportunity to buy a pair pls do so, its really good.

Cheers

Me and a friend are currently testing this Crystal-10 driver from Lii Audio, unique speaker, amplfier, quality and cost-saving parts for HiFi DIY – Online showcase for unique special DIY parts for HiFi amateurs.
First impressions are very good. We will test it in different set ups in the next weeks/months.

Graph seems heavily smoothed, but they can't be all bad.
Looking forward to some impressions on this, they look beautiful.
Seems they want a relatively big box.
I do not understand what they mean about the VC inductance?
L1: 0.18mh L2: 0.36mh

... Is it dual voice coil?

Attachments

• HiFi-audio-10-inch-full-range-speaker-FAST-10-7.jpg
    HiFi-audio-10-inch-full-range-speaker-FAST-10-7.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 816
  • HiFi-audio-10-inch-full-range-speaker-FAST-10-8.jpg
    HiFi-audio-10-inch-full-range-speaker-FAST-10-8.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 806
We have the crystal-10, not the fast-10.
The crystal-10 is not on their website (yet).
It could be that the fast 10 is dual VC, but the crystal-10 is not.
The curve looks smoothend indeed, but currently we have it in an OB and it sounds smooth as well. No harsh peeks in the high. It is playing FR, without woofers.

Attachments

• received_697075344025890.jpeg
    received_697075344025890.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 767
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546537305387.jpg_1546537310024.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1546537305387.jpg_1546537310024.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 720
Slightly OT guys, when I testing out an OB , I tried a Coral Flat 8 as well as a Coral 10F-60.
Was surprise that the 10F-60 sounded so much better, no spiky peaks etc.
Do you have any measurements of these "spiky peaks" or is that just your subjective opinion ?

I've owned a lot of Coral drivers and one thing I will say is that no two measure alike, probably due to their age now, and due to some of them being hand assembled in the 2000's, with these units not having the close matching of the factory assembled originals. (I have had both kinds)

Some are smoother than others depending on whether the whizzer cone has been positioned properly relative to the main cone, (Otherwise a peak and notch forms near 2.5Khz) and which kind of fabric surround was fitted and whether it had damping doping added or was left dry. (Left dry can cause peaks at 4Khz, but there are other ways to deal with those without altering the surround)

Sorry DB no measurements you hear the peeks on certain music but I don’t hear this on same music with the 10F-60. Hope to get some simple software to measure them sometime. Overall on just an OB baffle I prefer the sound of the 10F-60 very even handed. Think it will do great with an added super tweeter. I’ve read about how clever the whizzer cones is shape & attached but when you study the 10F-60 its just as clever if not more so.
When you think of it it’s pretty amazing how back then the designers knew about how to control cone break up with little details added.

Why do you think it might be a DVC on the Fast-10?

Is there a link to the website? I'm after a bigger FR with DVC...

//

I do not think or presume anything, merely wondering why there is two different values for inductance listed in the spec sheet (see my previous post). L1: 0.18mh and L2: 0.36mh

Is there any particular reason you want a FR unit with DVC?

floeper, the Crystal 10 looks real nice from 300hz up, almost artificially so.
Eager to see some measurements.

Edit:
Forgot to add link for TNT:
Lii Audio, unique speaker, amplfier, quality and cost-saving parts for HiFi DIY – Online showcase for unique special DIY parts for HiFi amateurs.

They also have a pretty looking brand new 12" FR, no data yet though.

Last edited:
I do not think or presume anything, merely wondering why there is two different values for inductance listed in the spec sheet (see my previous post). L1: 0.18mh and L2: 0.36mh

Thanks!!

L1/L2 seem (also) to be an odd/old way of indicating polarity. But how can it be different inductance depending on the polarity? And if it where 2 coils - why different... Strange indeed...

//
It's nothing to do with polarity. It's to do with the "voice coil inductance" of a driver not being a pure inductance. There are eddy current losses at higher frequencies as the pole pieces that effectively form a magnetic core for the voice coil are quite lossy.

A simplified Thiele/small model which only provides Le ignores this fact and is therefore only an approximation.

More detailed parameters will give both L1 and L2, or LE and L2. See the following:

https://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/kl..._Accurate_Linear_Parameter_Measurement_01.pdf

Electrical Parameters
RE electrical voice coil resistance at DC
LE voice coil inductance at low frequencies
L2 para-inductance at high frequencies
The standard Le value is only valid at low frequencies. Also see the equivalent circuit model in Figure 1 to see how Le and L2 relate in the model and how R2 represents eddy current losses.

Having both an L1 and L2 figure provided in T/S parameters is actually a good thing not a bad thing! :)

Last edited:
About "morning glory of Hangzhou", the morning glory flower in Chinese has the name of Labahua 喇叭花,meaning horn flower or speaker flower. The manufacture molded xizi morning glory for pun. Xizi 西子is the name of Xishi (Xi Shi - Wikipedia), the number one of the four great beauties of ancient China. Xizi is native of Hangzhou. So everyone knows the manufacture is located in Hangzhou just by looking at its name.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.