FAST_5" speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Everyone,
I just got some FAST-5" drivers from China , I've never seen them before but they were "low cost' so I gave them a try. I'd like to put them in Karlsonator 6 cabinets because I like the 8's and 12's I've made. Any thoughts on this idea?

thanks

Attachments

• 899cff2278c0af10.jpg
    899cff2278c0af10.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 1,470
  • 20180615_112435-1.jpg
    20180615_112435-1.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 1,472
Hi 2stuffed,
many thanks for the hint. I liked what I saw, and have ordered a pair as well. They arrived pretty quick from China with a total cost of 118 € for the pair. In reality, I still like what I see, build quality is quite nice, and the designers were most probably aware of the famous CORAL Beta 6, but of course it´s no direct copy.
Drivers are burning in at the moment, hopefully I can post some measurements this week, if there´s interest.

All the best

Mattes

Hi , I just finished some karlsonators for these speakers.I had no idea what size to use so I made a narrow version of the 8. I made them 240mm inside width and made my own curves for the wings. They sound good so far but need more running in.

Attachments

• karlsonator f5.jpg
    karlsonator f5.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 612
Dear all,

sorry for being late, but I was busy last weeks, as I´m at work now. Therefore, sadly, I will not be able to post any measurements until I´m back home in a few weeks.

In my last vacation week, I suffered a sudden creativity burst, and as I liked the appearance of the XIZI Fast 5 (it reminds me a little bit of the great CORAL drivers I had a long time ago, all sold long ago, what an idiot I was...), I decided to make myself a little loudspeaker, just for fun and out of leftovers.

With the help of AJhorn and relying on manufacturers data, I designed a cute little TML which I build from BBply.

It´s a pentagonal column without parallel surfaces, 118 cm in height, all sides have 16.5 cm width. It has an absorber chamber for the first unwanted TML reflections and a filter chamber, which could be filled with sand.

Just one coat of varnish so far, a few more will be needed, but I started to like the quick leftover built...

Progressive damping with poly wadding (in the absorber chamber), real sheep´s wool (at the beginning of the line and less at driver´s height) and Pritex (in the middle of the line, only on one side).

I had app. one hour of time to listen before I had to go to the airport... without any filter (fullrange drivers need a contour filter in my personal opinion), nor finetuning, nor measurements.

I found it astonishingly good, but I´m of course biased. Voices are still a bit chesty, reed instruments a bit squeaky, but that was to be expected without filter. The Fast5Tml does not rival my main "prototype" (Fertinacoustics 20M8EX and AE Dipole 18 in OB), but that was also not to be expected...

So far, I didn´t hear any severe breakups or shouts, and I was surprised of the quantity and quality of bass the little 5-incher produced. Nice details and soundstage was also part of my first impressions.
My wife liked it as well!!!

More info, if anybody is interested, might be provided in a few weeks, as above.

Best regards

Mattes

Attachments

• DSC02606.JPG
    DSC02606.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC02604.JPG
    DSC02604.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC02603.JPG
    DSC02603.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC02598.JPG
    DSC02598.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC02601.JPG
    DSC02601.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 517
  • DSC02602.JPG
    DSC02602.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 578
Hi 2stuffed,

sadly, I don´t have any "real" plans, just the sketch I quickly made for building the TMLs. I have attached same - hope it´s of some use, and I can of course try to answer any questions. I have also attached the AJHorn screenshots with the simulations for the TML, speaking for themselves, makes TML construction easy.

A few words of precaution though:

- This is my own design, it has never been thoroughly tested or compared to anything so far. I will be able to do a few measurements in some weeks.
- Everybody is invited to use the sketch and make one for him/herself, but I don´t allow commercial use without prior agreement. This is diy.
- It´s not the most easy enclosure to build - you´ll need precise angles and precise cuts, otherwise it wouldn´t look very good... and probably wouldn´t work.

And some hints:

Material 15mm BBply, outer sides 165mm, outer height 1080mm, driver mounting centre 900mm from outer bottom. Hole in the absorber chamber has r26mm, service hole at bottom/filter chamber has r45mm. Position and size of dividers as per sketch - but you might want to make your own technical drawings first. Don´t forget the inner chamfer for the driver, it´s important. Damping as per my last post.

Filter values in screenshots are just a simulation and at best a point to start. If I find time for measurements, I could post final filter values as well, if anybody is interested.

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• Fast5Tml sketch.pdf
    35 KB · Views: 131
  • Fast5Tml AJHorn data.pdf
    82.7 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.