Philips AD 8080/M4 portable speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, time for a new project. I felt it was time for a small speaker to lug around the house/as a portable speaker for outdoor use. I still have some AD8080/M4 Philips drive units out of an old radio cabinet.

Building a single, mono radio style cabinet is one option, but I figured it would be more fun to try something different. The light cone and small magnet beg for OB application, but i'm not going to lug around sheet goods all the time :)

In order to negate baffle effects and to do a little against bass wave cancellations, I came up with the following arrangement: the two drivers are mounted back to back and are connected out of phase - in series, so the impedance is a nice 8Ω for the small TPA3118 amp I'm going to use as an amp.

I'm not expecting any revolutionary HiFi-experience, but this might be a fun concept if it works at all.

Thanks for looking and laughing at my terrible graps of speaker design is appreciated.
Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 14.45.12 by ctjr, on Flickr
It will get some form of rubber feet and a handle on top, as well as a small plate-mounted amp, but this is the general idea for the enclosure.

IMG_6070 by ctjr, on Flickr

Pretty drivers with a nice octagonal frame.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.