8 inch woofer for WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to build a WAW speaker, and I find myself having a hard time deciding on a woofer that could be sourced for a reasonable
price in Europe.

Having read the forums I have found that Dayton drivers are considered as the best bang for buck in 7-8 inch range. But they are a little more
expensive and considering, that I would have to get them shipped from another country the price is bigger (prices with shipping included):
  • Dayton Audio RS225-8 - 200 euro/pair
  • Dayton Audio RS180-8 - 150 euro/pair

Localy I can find mainly Visatons and Beymas, for example:
  • Visaton W200S - 100 euro/pair
  • Beyma 10BR60V2 - 150 euro/pair

I'd like to have f3 of 50Hz and would prefer to go sealed. Also I think I will go active and biamp.

The RS225 could achieve both of that as shown by xrk971 in his FAST monitor, and I believe both W200S and Beyma could (with linkwitz transform).
How do these drivers compare in quality according to their price?

To get that extension from RS180 I would have to go ported (like the speaker Amiga). Is there much I would be loosing compared to other drivers both in sealed or ported configuration?

Also, if anyone has gone a similar path, maybe I have missed some other alternatives?

Last edited:
Not sure what the "A" in a WAW is, but I'm guessing it's a fullrange or mid-tweet.

Because you are going active for your loudspeaker, other than linar excursion vs surface area, you really only need be concerned with power efficiency vs. your amplifier AND how well the driver does as far up in freq. as you want to crossover to your "A".

As long as you crossover below 200 Hz, I'd think the 10" beyma a very good canidate (..with higher surface area, average linear excursion, and higher Qts.)

well, the fun thing about the English language is that new words / meanings are created all the time , so really, it's just a matter of adding them to each application's dictionary / spell check funkshun

at least we're not seeing auto-correct when posting here from a desktop - but my my iPad/phone can be a royal pain in diaz

For the wideband I am thinking about Visaton B80, as it seems a decent driver and is available localy. Guess at XO frequency would be ~300hz.

If the baffle is narrow, that's going to lead to a lot of midrange "boost" or spl-loss at higher freq.s (for baffle-step compensation).

I'd actually suggest making it a 3-way and use a 2" or 1.5" for the treble (with it's less directive results) and a more efficient midrange driver for the pressure loss. 1st order transition for the 1.5" to efficent midrange with active high-pass on the midrange, and active for the bass.

Timothy Feleppa's Pages

It's quite apparent that WAW is no better, and having two names for the same thing can only aid confusion. Unless your in the club, but I don't like closed door clubs. It's a public forum. I do my best to overcome language barriers. Not to put them up.

Seriously, most of this thread is wtf posts. Acronym's are best avoided, not sought out.

Dayton 225... Their calling to me like the window girls in Amsterdam. You must be very strong willed to be looking at more generic Visaton's

Cerniu. Cerniu. We very lovely dayton 225's. For $200 you can have two of us. We promise to rock your world, Cerniu

I am planning to build a WAW speaker, I'd like to have f3 of 50Hz and would prefer to go sealed. Also I think I will go active and biamp... maybe I have missed some other alternatives?

The 8" SB_Acoustics SB23NRXS45-8 models to -F3=52Hz in a 1.4cuft sealed box. 88.5db sensitivity. Costs about $92 USD (The Dayton RS225P-8 models to -F3=73Hz in 0.8-1cuft sealed volume)
===
Dr. Griesinger's research demonstrated that 700-7000Hz is the critical range of frequencies where our hearing and our brain combine the fundamental sound with its harmonics. According to Griesinger, we detect pitch more on the higher harmonics than we do on the fundamental. One of the main benefits of adding a small diameter full range is to cover the critical 700-7000Hz, and then accept the best extension near 20kHz as possible. A 700Hz crossover also removes beaming and cone grunge from a 8"-12" sealed box woofer with -F3 ~50-40Hz .

I'd like to have f3 of 50Hz and would prefer to go sealed. Also I think I will go active and biamp.
[...]
To get that extension from RS180 I would have to go ported (like the speaker Amiga).

?? If going active and sealed, you can get whatever f3 you want, within reason.

Also, if anyone has gone a similar path, maybe I have missed some other alternatives?

Digikey have an driver* that I've been considering using in multiples:
SDS-160F25PR01-08-ND

6.5" (141cm^2) , 87dB, 6mm Xmax, 85mm deep
Qts 0.49 Vas 29.56 Fs 41.76Hz (20-30 litre sealed F3 ~60Hz)

They'd cost about 20 Euro each. Get 4, and postage is free. You could build a 2.5 way:

B80 on the front, >500Hz
6.5" on the front, <500Hz
6.5" on the back, <250Hz

*I haven't tried this driver myself, but I have previously owned some Peerless 6.5" woofers that were 'perfect' - they worked well and (unlike many other drivers) measured exactly like the spec sheet said they would.

But that defeats one of the goals of a WAW… being able to keep the drivers within one quarter wavelength centre-to-centre and removing a key issue with a system with a crossover.

You are trading one compromise for another.

dave

a. I didn't know that was a goal of such an absurd name. :p

b. Does it now? How long is a wavelength at about 800-900 Hz? ..and a quarter of that distance? ..and relative to a driver's operating surface area in what *actually* counts as "center" near that wavelength?

c. no, no I don't think I am trading any substantive compromise in that regard. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.