8 inch woofer for WAW

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quarterwave length is about 4-6"

Typically the XO is more like 200-450 Hz.

dave

-and for something (1.5"-2") with a crossover around 800-900 Hz it should work out well, yes? :) (..provided the larger "fullrange"/midrange driver isn't to large and is placed next to the 1.5"-2".)

-yes, something nearing 200-450 hz for the high-pass (presumably active based on the OP's comments) for the "fullrange"/midrange.

If the baffle is narrow, that's going to lead to a lot of midrange "boost" or spl-loss at higher freq.s (for baffle-step compensation).

I'd actually suggest making it a 3-way and use a 2" or 1.5" for the treble (with it's less directive results) and a more efficient midrange driver for the pressure loss. 1st order transition for the 1.5" to efficent midrange with active high-pass on the midrange, and active for the bass.

Timothy Feleppa's Pages

As I am going active, what about that:
Lets say I make the baffle width 35cm. Then the baffle step frequency is 320Hz which is at crossover point and I solve the issue simply by attenuating the signal level in that crossover?

Usually this subject is in the FR forum where the acronym is well known, widely used, and discussed prior to inception.

Quarterwace length is about 4-6"

Typically the XO is more like 200-450 Hz.

dave

If moving to FR forum would spark less debate over the acronym we could move this thread.

Last edited:
Dr. Griesinger's research demonstrated that 700-7000Hz is the critical range of frequencies where our hearing and our brain combine the fundamental sound with its harmonics. According to Griesinger, we detect pitch more on the higher harmonics than we do on the fundamental. One of the main benefits of adding a small diameter full range is to cover the critical 700-7000Hz, and then accept the best extension near 20kHz as possible. A 700Hz crossover also removes beaming and cone grunge from a 8"-12" sealed box woofer with -F3 ~50-40Hz .

Interesting, but 700Hz seems a pretty high crossover for WAW - is this a low pass for the woofer?

As I am going active, what about that:
Lets say I make the baffle width 35cm. Then the baffle step frequency is 320Hz which is at crossover point and I solve the issue simply by attenuating the signal level in that crossover?

-use a diffraction simulator to see what sort of loss AND gain you are dealing with. (..I'm on a Linux system and no longer have access to that. :eek: )

It's simplistic, but gives a general idea:
Home of the Edge

For something much better:
Software

I do know though that from that size width you are looking at some GAIN around 1 kHz, which can make the transition to the fullrange driver a bit tricky if it doesn't have a rise in response a few hundered Hz above that (and then flatten's out to 20 kHz). (..I'm assuming round-over baffle edges.)

Remember though, as you go to a larger diameter: the dispersion in the top-octave degrades quickly - "beaming".

Though not the Visaton, the MCM 3.5" (similar diameter) looks like this in the top octave (looking at 4 khz and up):

http://feleppa.com.au/pics/speaker_imgs/plots/MCM55-5650_FreqResp.png

-use a diffraction simulator to see what sort of loss AND gain you are dealing with. (..I'm on a Linux system and no longer have access to that. :eek: )

It's simplistic, but gives a general idea:
Home of the Edge

For something much better:
Software

I do know though that from that size width you are looking at some GAIN around 1 kHz, which can make the transition to the fullrange driver a bit tricky if it doesn't have a rise in response a few hundered Hz above that (and then flatten's out to 20 kHz). (..I'm assuming round-over baffle edges.)

Remember though, as you go to a larger diameter: the dispersion in the top-octave degrades quickly - "beaming".

Though not the Visaton, the MCM 3.5" (similar diameter) looks like this in the top octave (looking at 4 khz and up):

http://feleppa.com.au/pics/speaker_imgs/plots/MCM55-5650_FreqResp.png

Thank you for the tips, will research that tomorow. By the way I am also using linux as my operating system, and all simulation programs are quite simple so they run perfectly on Wine. You should try that out.

Fortunately, I have found a way to get RS225, for 130 euro per pair (from PE with shipping to Europe done by another company).

If anyone in Europe wants to buy from PartsExpress, you should check out shipzee.com
I'm not sure on conditions for other countries (its a Lithuanian company I think), but a pair of Dayton RS225 delivered to my home come + import tax + service totals 130 euro, compared to 200 which was the cheapest I could find from suppliers inside EU.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.