Your favored go to 4", 5" ,5-1/4" 6" 0r 6.5".. full range drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I purposely left off 3.5" because I know most like the Tc9fd 3.5"

for me just got a set of FE35 4" faital pro yesteday so will be testing them

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I beleive the expectation is that we will see new drivers based on the type of basket used in the Pluvia 7 & Pluvia 11. Mark & i chatted about this with me when he 1st sent me CHS-70 (ie early P7s). They are more expensive than the current Alpair baskets, but less prone to being broken by careless use, can be used without a rebate and have a smaller footprint. Yet still largely plastic so that they are well damped, rigid, and with the possibility of largely being made with renewable materials (ie bamboo, hemp or other biomass).

And back on subject, there are many, many fullranged available today. I can only speak for the ones i have heard and the ones i really like end up being modified (no secrets as to what is done), so your mileage may vary if you use stock drivers.

As adason says, you will find many who do not like the TC9, we found it very disappointing. The similar TG9 is considerably better, and not much more expensive. But they are both in the 3-3,5” class.

My favorite 4” (and favourite FR overall) is the Alpair 7.3eN — the more expensive A7 MOAP may well be slightly better, but is made of near unobtainium. I have my hands on a pair and we will see how good it gets when EnABLed.

5.25”: not far behind the A7.3 is the A10.3eN, but i personally prefer the paper A10PeN.

At 6.5” the A12pWeN is a really good driver but lacking a bit on top (as intended in the design), but still used as a FR by some, and has more HF extension than some well respected so-called FR like the FE208e∑ and FF225wk. Paired with A7.3 (or dmaller A6.2x or A5.2) makes for a tremendoud WAW. For true FR i have to give that to the FF165wKeN.

And for larger drivers, the 8” SEAS FA22eN Dayton PS220eN, and Visaton B200 (with phase plugs at least). I have not heard any of the exotica (at least within the last couple decades). Not making it into the top class are eith of the 2 well-liked Tandband W8.

Larger than 8” i have only sampled a few Audio Nirvana and they were either disappointing or overpriced (or both). And some vintage drivers, some of which are decent.

For smaller drivers i have already mentioned the A6.2x (again my personal preference is for the paper), and A5.2, but the FF85wKeN is also in the running.

dave

FWIW, the thinner flanges on the two most recent Pluvia models have at least eliminated the need for rebating for flush mounting . I know that Mark would like to reduce the use of materials a much as possible, so this is a feature that might be seen in future models / revisions.

So far the only Mark Audio branded model with stamped metal frame - at least available in NA - was the CHN70

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just think the frames on the Mark Audio are too large for using them in multiples

It is hard to disagree with that, but if you are only using a couple you still have combing issues and need to roll-off all but a single driver up high (keeping roll-off below the quarter wavelength centre-to-centre). For a true array the big bezels (and the higher price) tend to make them non-starters. If you really wanted to use an Alpair in an arrary you would have to look to getting a batch of the Alpair 5.2 done in the early rectangular basket (AFAIK the tooling still exists).

dave

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As far as a full range driver goes, the W5-2143 has better bass than most - when in the proper enclosure. Mine plays quite loud and bass is very present that I get complaints from family upstairs that a single XKi driven by an Alpha 20 is too loud. Specs say Xmax is 2.5mm but in practice, the large half roll rubber surround moves 5mm easily.

I beleive the expectation is that we will see new drivers based on the type of basket used in the Pluvia 7 & Pluvia 11. Mark & i chatted about this with me when he 1st sent me CHS-70 (ie early P7s). They are more expensive than the current Alpair baskets, but less prone to being broken by careless use, can be used without a rebate and have a smaller footprint. Yet still largely plastic so that they are well damped, rigid, and with the possibility of largely being made with renewable materials (ie bamboo, hemp or other biomass).

And back on subject, there are many, many fullranged available today. I can only speak for the ones i have heard and the ones i really like end up being modified (no secrets as to what is done), so your mileage may vary if you use stock drivers.

As adason says, you will find many who do not like the TC9, we found it very disappointing. The similar TG9 is considerably better, and not much more expensive. But they are both in the 3-3,5” class.

My favorite 4” (and favourite FR overall) is the Alpair 7.3eN — the more expensive A7 MOAP may well be slightly better, but is made of near unobtainium. I have my hands on a pair and we will see how good it gets when EnABLed.

5.25”: not far behind the A7.3 is the A10.3eN, but i personally prefer the paper A10PeN.

At 6.5” the A12pWeN is a really good driver but lacking a bit on top (as intended in the design), but still used as a FR by some, and has more HF extension than some well respected so-called FR like the FE208e∑ and FF225wk. Paired with A7.3 (or dmaller A6.2x or A5.2) makes for a tremendoud WAW. For true FR i have to give that to the FF165wKeN.

And for larger drivers, the 8” SEAS FA22eN Dayton PS220eN, and Visaton B200 (with phase plugs at least). I have not heard any of the exotica (at least within the last couple decades). Not making it into the top class are eith of the 2 well-liked Tandband W8.

Larger than 8” i have only sampled a few Audio Nirvana and they were either disappointing or overpriced (or both). And some vintage drivers, some of which are decent.

For smaller drivers i have already mentioned the A6.2x (again my personal preference is for the paper), and A5.2, but the FF85wKeN is also in the running.

dave
Dave - I would be interested in your thoughts on the Audio Nirvana drivers as I was considering doing some builds with them in their provided enclosure plans. I was in particular looking at the AN Classic 12" and 15" models.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.