new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Related...

I have been playing with Volumio for 4 days now.
It hasn't been so pretty.

At first, it recognized my miniDSP HD, but wouldn't play any sound.
From support, I re-downloaded and re-flashed the image, still no go. Then, on the second day, it crashed on boot, then booted fine the 2nd time. That day, sound came through and I was listening to all sorts of files and web radio, no problem.

I shut down the computer and went to bed. The next morning, I fire it up... no sound again!

Volumio is proving very unstable.

I hope the port on the miniDSP SHD will be more stable.

On the other hand, Daphile has been rock solid and playing very well on the same system.

You mean with miniDSP's EARS microphone gadget, or the HA-DSP (at $325)?

I tried the demo of SonarWorks Headphone EQ, but I was not impressed.

I watch some TV shows on my computer, but hardly anything that I would call focused listening, or "hi-fi", with my headphones. For music, I much prefer speakers to headphones.
Especially coming in to summer, wearing cans is very uncomfortable in my corner of the world.... The tropics are nice, but kinda humid!

Last edited:
Not much interest in this product?

Too bad.

They came up with a page with more info on the website.

And some more pictures. Still no idea on the pricing though.

shd-front.png

better-connectivity.png

I think without pricing, I shouldn't look.

I fancy one of the £100 units as a piece of test equipment. Until then, I can't make any sort of decision. I might find it as useful as bringing in bass and treble controls. Doing more harm, than good. I just don't know, and telling me won't make me know any better.

I was actually looking earlier. £90 for the basic one in a box. Then I see it's not complete, I have to start buying software packages that seem unreliable. So I'm already turning away from this priceless black box.

friendly1uk,
Don't dismiss something because you've never tried or used it. Say it's not for you, and it's fine.

My miniDSP HD unit has been working as advertised and flawless.

I'm sure this SHD line will be a little more expensive than $100. It replaces a computer, offers XO, EQ, FIR filters and Dirac, you can either plug in a CD player, a hard drive or stream music from NAS.

They also make multichannel units, like the UDAC8, nanoavr, etc... or do like X and combine two units, but lose some audio quality.

I don't think the SHD has any FIR capability, or i should say any user-defined FIR file-loading capability...which in my mind defines "FIR capability".

It seems like miniDSP has decided automated room / global loudspeaker correction, via Dirac, is where to put their product development.
FIR capability development almost seems like an orphaned child...(openDRC etc)

Not trying to diss the SHD at all....it's a nice new product IMO.
Just trying to be clear with what the unit can do....

I don't think the SHD has any FIR capability, or i should say any user-defined FIR file-loading capability...which in my mind defines "FIR capability"....

I was just looking at the introduction pdf here : https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/Product Brief-SHD.pdf

But you are right. It is unclear whether they are the Dirac produced FIR filters, or user-defined filters.

We will see when they release a user manual for the product line.

I ended up buying two miniDSP 2x4's (boards only - no case) and then using them as 1x4 ea for a 4-way speaker. This is less than a 2x8.

X, since most music is digital now, the extra ADC conversion stage to feed analog to the two boards isn't great.

Pairing two boards with digital inputs, like Hypex DLCP supports would be nice.

NanoSharc is promising, but plugins are still limited to 4CH.

I think the SHD looks really good, but it's just so annoying that most of the units with the "Dirac" stuff gets 200$ extra slapped on the price tag. I can not speak for anyone else, but for me personally, there is no need for that if I can just get some filters and a bit of other dsp processing like a bit of eq it's all good.

Isn't that cost a licensing issue, and while not the only room correction software, isn't there consensus that the Dirac is a step above much of the freeware? If they conclude the choice to commit to Dirac limits their market acceptance, perhaps they might revise things -otherwise they'll get what they get - and more power to them, I guess.

Hard to be all things to all people.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.