new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What processor are you using to run Volumio?

dtaylo3, are you talking to me and referring to post #3?

If so, I tried Volumio x86, running on an Intel i3.

After numerous tests, I found out that Volumio only plays music through the miniDSP HD on the initial boot, after a fresh format and install of Volumio. But on subsequent reboot of the system, Volumio still recognizes the miniDSP unit, but no sound is coming out... until I erase the disk, and re-install.

Volumio recognizes my other DAC, a NuPrime, every time and plays music without any problem.

I wrote to miniDSP, and they answered the SHD line as been playing well for a couple of months at their office, so, it looks like it is different than running Volumio on a PC.

I'm disappointed with what miniDSP has released the last years considering how early they came out with the 4x10 Hd unit. I would like to see an upgraded version with XLR connection, FIR filters, lower noise, better DA quality, improved PSU and a proper display.

The SHD doesn't meet the requirements for a high-end crossover unit and the addition of Dirac is simple a waste.

Bjorn, I’m not so sure that Dirac is a waste. While I’m not using any of the minidsp products at all, a friend of mine who’s designed several of my passive crossovers the old school way-LinearX LMS/LEAP - has jumped on that bandwagon, and considers the Dirac plug-in worth every penny. I’d agree with him that anytime, and to whatever degree you can take the room out of the equation it’s a good thing.

I'm disappointed with what miniDSP has released the last years considering how early they came out with the 4x10 Hd unit. I would like to see an upgraded version with XLR connection, FIR filters, lower noise, better DA quality, improved PSU and a proper display.

The SHD doesn't meet the requirements for a high-end crossover unit and the addition of Dirac is simple a waste.
Me too. I would be happy if it would exceed or even just match the specs of the existing 2x4 HD.

Bjorn, I’m not so sure that Dirac is a waste. While I’m not using any of the minidsp products at all, a friend of mine who’s designed several of my passive crossovers the old school way-LinearX LMS/LEAP - has jumped on that bandwagon, and considers the Dirac plug-in worth every penny. I’d agree with him that anytime, and to whatever degree you can take the room out of the equation it’s a good thing.
You can EQ the speakers but not the room. The word "room correction" is really misleading. Behavior that isn't minimum phase can't be solved with EQ/room correction. What you end up up with is weird phase wrapping if you still EQ it and it sounds anything but normal. It's basically only in the very lowest frequencies some of the behavior might be minimum phase.

It's not possible to "take the room out of the equation" with such a software. That's a serious misunderstanding. Sure, you can EQ the speakers to suit the room better, but you're still not fixing any room anomalies. But simply altering the direct sound of the speakers. PEQ and shelving is sufficient for that.

And if your wondering, I have heard Dirac several times. Even set up by the Dirac engineers themselves and have been able to turn it on and off with a button. It's sounds like crap compared to what's possible.

So Bjorn, how can one achieve the best sound? Via FIR?
A lot could be said but short answer is:
1. Quality active speakers that avoids problems in the first place and a beamwidth that suits the room and listening preference
2. Work with placement and use a separate bass/subwoofer solution
3. Treat the room acoustically as much as possible
4. Fine tune direct response of speakers in the end

I don't believe FIR is important in a good speaker design, but there may be a slight benefit depending on different factors. The main advantage is that one filter can substitute several IR filters, thus making it easier.

How do I realize your first point? What kind of beamwidth suits which room?
For most it takes many years to learn what's important in a speaker design. Much by trying and failing along the way. And many never learn it well because they don't understand psychoacoustics and what really matters, and focus wrongly too much on areas like drivers, cabinet building, crossover parts, etc. (not saying these are unimportant though).

The preferably beamwidth depends on areas like listening area of the room (one listening place or several), room layout (i.e. narrow vs wide), and whether the desire is for listening without early arriving lateral reflections or with.
Basically too much to go into here. ;)

Omholt - how do we get the language switcher to work on your website? I’ve tried on two different OS - MSW7, and iOS11 on my iPad.

Since the link starts with a "#", it means the language switcher was not set up from the template, or is planned to be added at a later time.

But you could use Google Chrome and right-click to access the "Translate this page" function.

I just tried it and it works well with that site.

Last edited:
Omholt - how do we get the language switcher to work on your website? I’ve tried on two different OS - MSW7, and iOS11 on my iPad.
Sorry. The language swticher doesn't work

We had an english version where most were translated, but after hiring an indian computer guy the site went haywire and we still haven't gotten the english up again. See what I can do.

Ooops, forgot about this thread for a while. As indicated by one or two above, I agree the Dirac function is not a need for me given the cost. Volumio is good free ware, but I am running it on a $65 Asus Tinkerboard quad core just fine, but as Perceval has indicated, Volumio takes some work to get up and running right. Once you do, it is great. So with the Tinkerboard I can use the streaming qualities of Volumio, including wireless, which the new unit by MiniDSP does not seem to offer. And I can control Volumio from my phone, or wirelessly send music to it from my phone. The MiniDSP unit only has ethernet. No wireless seems a miss. So if I do not need Dirac, I can run a Pi or Tinkerboard set up with Volumio and have either Ethernet, wireless or USB input and have output via USB or SPDIF to a MiniDSP x-over unit and get pretty much all I want. Yes, that would have less input or output options than this new device, but it would only cost a total $300 or so with MiniDSP HD. I am not knocking MiniDSP, as they are making some very interesting products at very affordable prices. I am just not sure this is the best bundle of stuff to offer. But love to see them keep cranking out new products.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.