Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2018, 07:18 PM   #81
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I can't answer your question about suitability for your use.

It remembers all settings from the last session, no significant noise, pops or clicks at power on or off.

Master volume affects all 4 outputs, and each has independent attenuation settings. All outputs can be assigned to either input channel or mono summed.

This is a consumer oriented product, word clock is not supported. AES/EBU and SPDIF I/O are supported.

Dirac and the good codecs are the main and most compelling reasons to purchase this unit specifically. The PEQ and crossover functions are good too.

It strikes me that buying one and not using Dirac is an expensive option. It's cost is substantial and bundled in the cost of the unit. It makes little sense imo.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:03 AM   #82
perceval is online now perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasnu View Post
My impression is semi-pro converters are very reasonable pricing. My $600 Yamaha 8ch converter is not much different from $3000 Mytek (sold), and indistinguishable from Apollo (sold). I still have $2000 Apogee Symphony, because it has much better AD to my ears, but DA is not worth to pay the difference. I would buy Yamaha second hand one for $300 on Ebay, if I just need DA. Measurement Mic is only $50, BTW.
Yamaha/Steinberg has always been a great value. I like those a lot.

I was referring mostly to the bottom of the pack that usually rely on heavy advertisement to sell their products, like Presonus, Focusrite and Behringer.

I've had a couple of those and they were hurting my ears, with so much sibilance and just screeching.

I was just mentioning the MOTU as they have been popular with the audio show crowd lately, showing off their new ESS DAC implementation.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:18 AM   #83
perceval is online now perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
It strikes me that buying one and not using Dirac is an expensive option. It's cost is substantial and bundled in the cost of the unit. It makes little sense imo.
My feelings as well.

If you need an audio card with only 4 analogue outs, without popping, you'll need to look at cards that play a little silence between resolution changes.

Otherwise, you'll have to hit MUTE on speakers outputs when changing sample rates.

Audio players like JRiver have the option of muting speakers between sample rate changes so you don't hear a pop.

new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systemsHide this!Advertise here!