Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systems
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2018, 01:40 AM   #21
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylo3 View Post
What processor are you using to run Volumio?
dtaylo3, are you talking to me and referring to post #3?

If so, I tried Volumio x86, running on an Intel i3.

After numerous tests, I found out that Volumio only plays music through the miniDSP HD on the initial boot, after a fresh format and install of Volumio. But on subsequent reboot of the system, Volumio still recognizes the miniDSP unit, but no sound is coming out... until I erase the disk, and re-install.

Volumio recognizes my other DAC, a NuPrime, every time and plays music without any problem.

I wrote to miniDSP, and they answered the SHD line as been playing well for a couple of months at their office, so, it looks like it is different than running Volumio on a PC.
Old 7th July 2018, 08:16 PM   #22
KaffiMann is offline KaffiMann  Norway
diyAudio Member

I see that the SHD comes bundled with the Umik-1 now, just looking at the page.
I already have the Umik-1, hope they will have an option to get some price reduction if you already have it...
Old 7th July 2018, 09:52 PM   #23
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm disappointed with what miniDSP has released the last years considering how early they came out with the 4x10 Hd unit. I would like to see an upgraded version with XLR connection, FIR filters, lower noise, better DA quality, improved PSU and a proper display.

The SHD doesn't meet the requirements for a high-end crossover unit and the addition of Dirac is simple a waste.
Old 8th July 2018, 01:37 AM   #24
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

Bjorn, I’m not so sure that Dirac is a waste. While I’m not using any of the minidsp products at all, a friend of mine who’s designed several of my passive crossovers the old school way-LinearX LMS/LEAP - has jumped on that bandwagon, and considers the Dirac plug-in worth every penny. I’d agree with him that anytime, and to whatever degree you can take the room out of the equation it’s a good thing.
Old 8th July 2018, 04:22 AM   #25
454Casull is offline 454Casull  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omholt View Post
I'm disappointed with what miniDSP has released the last years considering how early they came out with the 4x10 Hd unit. I would like to see an upgraded version with XLR connection, FIR filters, lower noise, better DA quality, improved PSU and a proper display.

The SHD doesn't meet the requirements for a high-end crossover unit and the addition of Dirac is simple a waste.
Me too. I would be happy if it would exceed or even just match the specs of the existing 2x4 HD.
Old 8th July 2018, 07:19 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Bjorn, Im not so sure that Dirac is a waste. While Im not using any of the minidsp products at all, a friend of mine whos designed several of my passive crossovers the old school way-LinearX LMS/LEAP - has jumped on that bandwagon, and considers the Dirac plug-in worth every penny. Id agree with him that anytime, and to whatever degree you can take the room out of the equation its a good thing.
You can EQ the speakers but not the room. The word "room correction" is really misleading. Behavior that isn't minimum phase can't be solved with EQ/room correction. What you end up up with is weird phase wrapping if you still EQ it and it sounds anything but normal. It's basically only in the very lowest frequencies some of the behavior might be minimum phase.

It's not possible to "take the room out of the equation" with such a software. That's a serious misunderstanding. Sure, you can EQ the speakers to suit the room better, but you're still not fixing any room anomalies. But simply altering the direct sound of the speakers. PEQ and shelving is sufficient for that.

And if your wondering, I have heard Dirac several times. Even set up by the Dirac engineers themselves and have been able to turn it on and off with a button. It's sounds like crap compared to what's possible.
Old 8th July 2018, 07:34 AM   #27
Soldy is offline Soldy  Germany
diyAudio Member

So Bjorn, how can one achieve the best sound? Via FIR?
Old 8th July 2018, 08:13 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldy View Post
So Bjorn, how can one achieve the best sound? Via FIR?
A lot could be said but short answer is:
1. Quality active speakers that avoids problems in the first place and a beamwidth that suits the room and listening preference
2. Work with placement and use a separate bass/subwoofer solution
3. Treat the room acoustically as much as possible
4. Fine tune direct response of speakers in the end

I don't believe FIR is important in a good speaker design, but there may be a slight benefit depending on different factors. The main advantage is that one filter can substitute several IR filters, thus making it easier.
Old 8th July 2018, 08:29 AM   #29
Soldy is offline Soldy  Germany
diyAudio Member

How do I realize your first point? What kind of beamwidth suits which room?
Old 8th July 2018, 08:40 AM   #30
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

I heard a rumour that it might cost around $1,500....

I hope not!

new miniDSP SHD, perfect for WAW/FAST systemsHide this!Advertise here!