Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Miscellaneous designs -Mark Audio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, Seas etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2018, 09:10 PM   #21
tapestryofsound is offline tapestryofsound  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Very encouraging to see someone openly sharing what they have to offer in spades. Quite humbling in fact.

tapestryofsound
Old 24th May 2018, 10:55 PM   #22
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Actually this is not new from Scott, he's been generously contributing to a library of free designs (and knowledge) for the DIY community over the years.

Last edited by zman01; 24th May 2018 at 11:11 PM.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:59 AM   #23
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Well, I have done one for the 15in Fane. Actually there's two, but the other will have to wait for another time. This thread is a dumping ground for misc. existing designs I'd done rather than new ones, but I had one of my very few spare moments, so a quick one-off. Nothing fancy here, just a sealed box. Anybody who knows their audio history will recognise the original inspiration (pictured), although the construction & internal dimensions are different, along with the driver configuration.

Not small by current standards, so obviously of limited appeal, but the Fane likes a big box; it's heading in a traditional direction in terms of its basic EM characteristics. No bad thing, so long as you treat it as such, and fewer compromises in alignment terms than a smaller cabinet. I've called it a large sealed; acoustically speaking even this isn't 'large' per se for the Fane, but it's probably pushing it for a lot -there's no way I could house a pair of these cabinets for e.g.

I imagine Dave will have a big Fonken in the offing, so I don't want to get too heavily involved with this sort of load. The size here is sufficient that step loss is pushed right down into the region where room-gain should help compensate; Qtc is moderate, in the 0.8 region depending on damping & how good the sealing is.
Attached Images
File Type: png Sovereign 15-300TC large sealed.PNG (298.1 KB, 1762 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 28th May 2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:29 PM   #24
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I imagine Dave will have a big Fonken in the offing...
I have looked at it, but starting Q is kinda high and the box would be so large as to make other options of greater interest. A big aperiodic box would be my target and you have sent me at least a starting point.

dave
Old 28th May 2018, 11:38 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

not that Dave hasn't designed and had built for him more than one or two Fonken big boxes, but sometimes there are simpler approaches

the last large musical instrument based driver for which that was done was the Eminence 12LTA, which I could never cotton to
Old 28th May 2018, 11:41 PM   #26
planet10 is online now planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

12LTA was definitly too much work with barely satisfactory results in the end. Current ower is happy with them thou. Heils on the top and multiple SDX10 on the bottom.

dave
Old 29th May 2018, 08:00 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I have looked at it, but starting Q is kinda high and the box would be so large as to make other options of greater interest. A big aperiodic box would be my target and you have sent me at least a starting point.
Fair enough; hope it's of some use.
Old 29th May 2018, 08:51 PM   #28
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott, it's wide, but not too deep. We had some custom cabinetry made that makes placement impossible now, but I would have had no reservations about trying it out before. It's not as if micromonitors don't take up a lot of space, on stands and with inch-thick cables, placed out from a wall...

Did you see my pipe horn effort for the Fane over at the BIB-thread? I was thinking classic alignments as well and started out with the Olson corner horn. It turned into an off-set driver, down/rear-firing parabolic horn. Placed in a corner and meaured at 1m distance, lower response is below 30Hz really flat. At the listening position, room gain adds "a bit."

With some EQ for the bass and the rising/peaky mid-treble, it has turned into fascinating loudspeaker. It's exquisite on timbre and sound character of acoustic instruments. Very fine detail, you can pinpoint individual string players in a symphony orchestra so to speak. And the sudden dynamics, not just sudden loud but also decay into silence is beautiful. I listen a wide range of music from classical philharmonic to reggae. It does it all and without sweat strain.

It's not your typical musical instrument/PA fullrange driver that struggles to reach 7kHz. This is genuine real and enjoyable sound playback.
Old 29th May 2018, 08:58 PM   #29
Ivo is offline Ivo  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

PS: I'm not sensitive about my technical knowledge and ability to translate a simulation to a cabinet. If you have criticism or suggestions for improvement, they are more than welcome.

(The FH3/FH-XL was in the back of my mind when I starting re-rolling the Olson into an off-set driver folded pipe. I didn't think you'd do a FH-15, so got busy myself. :-)! )
Old 30th May 2018, 10:13 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I didn't see it but will have a look when I get a moment later on.

Miscellaneous designs -Mark Audio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, Seas etc.Hide this!Advertise here!