Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Miscellaneous designs -Mark Audio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, Seas etc.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2021, 05:14 PM   #171
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member

Vesuvius <<=== Put a TIPS sign next to that top firing vent, and you will have your next project paid for!!
Old 22nd June 2021, 05:22 PM   #172
Cindra is offline Cindra  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thx Scott
Is theredouble chamber box plan for A10.3?
Old 22nd June 2021, 06:28 PM   #173
Drjay is offline Drjay  United States
diyAudio Member

Many many thanks Scott,

Your generosity with your time and expertiese is greatly appreciated. I have built 3 different pairs of single driver speakers to your designs and have been very impressed with all of them. Designing a truly good cabinet for a single driver speaker is not a trivial process (despite what some appear to believe) and your knowledge is, in my opinion is top shelf.

Best,
Jay
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:59 AM   #174
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Rats... one I did a month back & forgot about.

Do you iron creases in your jeans? Do you dislike the Lamborghini Countach because it's the most violent looking car ever made? Do you object to The Sensational Alex Harvey Band singing 'Gang Bang'? You're not going to like this at all.

I even remembered to remove the MA logo from this sketch... this is what I get for partially recycling 'base' images... Although they're certainly welcome to it.
Looking at your requirements, why do you say that you prefer to use fibreglass but not acoustic foam.

Is there a difference in how they absorb?

Oon
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:44 AM   #175
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Absolutely. All damping materials have different coefficients; generally speaking bonded acoustic fibreglass board (usually something like OC-703) for a given thickness is significantly superior to most foams, and was one of the traditionally favoured options by the pioneers, as 'somebody' taught me. As such, it's my 'default' for an efficient, reasonably-priced lagging material. If you're bothered about lose fibres, which to be honest doesn't seem to be an issue in practice, you could always stretch some fine material over the vent. A natural fibre equivalent is something like SAE-F10 rated wool felt, jute underlay or similar.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 23rd June 2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 23rd June 2021, 10:53 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindra View Post
Thx Scott
Is theredouble chamber box plan for A10.3?
There used to be. I remember it well, because 'I' (well, my cabinet-building partner in crime) built one a few years ago. I can't find the sketch now unfortunately, but when time permits, I'll work something up.
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:04 AM   #177
Cindra is offline Cindra  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Thank you, it would be nice to try, have some spare 10.3, but math is not friendly to me
Wierd font size..cant edit with phone, sorry for that

Last edited by Cindra; 23rd June 2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:21 PM   #178
Drjay is offline Drjay  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott,

I will be building the Sun Bear cabinet for the Tang Band W5 1611 SAF in the next few days. The design calls for a double layer of the 1/2" jute on the bottom panel.
I have a couple of questions. I use 3M medium strength spray adhesive to adhere the jute to the walls in all of my speaker builds and wonder if using it to glue together two layers to get the required thickness for the bottom panel will block the necessary porosity of the double layer. Should I instead use tacks? Also, out ot curiosity, what is the design reason for the double layer on the bottom?

Best,
Jay
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:43 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Since it's at the bottom, frankly I would rely on ye olde faithful standby called 'gravity' and not worry about it. If you want to put a light spray of the adhesive between the two layers, it won't do any harm. You can increase the thickness of the damping out to 20mm or even 25mm providing you keep it away from the cone (clearance is the issue here), but it may end up being a little over-damped.

Pedantry on my part to a point. It's the largest dimension, so I tend to put a little extra on one to help kill it off. It's at a relatively high frequency, so not too difficult to damp down.
Old 23rd June 2021, 01:51 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

They who ask, shall receive. Occasionally. Assuming I have time, which isn't always the case. And not with fonts that can be adjusted by smartphones -my design, my choice, 'adjustment' of the sketch not necessary. Live with it.

I couldn't find the original, so I re-did it, with a single-chamber design with the same nominal combined Vb tuning. This will actually be tuned a touch lower than the original, with slightly more alignment damping < 100Hz. Apologies for the lack of variety in the sketches which is a matter of convenience (read 'bone-idleness') on my part, as my drawing skills are somewhere south of nill and I have to use an old version of Windows Paint.
Attached Images
File Type: png Miranda Alpair 10.3 traditional vented box standmount.PNG (227.7 KB, 135 views)
File Type: png Oberon Alpair 10.3 classic DCR.PNG (224.6 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Scottmoose; 23rd June 2021 at 01:59 PM.

Miscellaneous designs -Mark Audio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, Seas etc.Hide this!Advertise here!