Audio Nirvana 8" Classic+ Alnico anybody?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not inexpensive - but manufacture claims great things for this one. Anybody actually heard it ?

Attachments

• an8classic8+alnicospecs.jpg
    an8classic8+alnicospecs.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 311
Yes. Back in 2016 in the Vertex AQ FRS-8. Vertex AQ – Aletheia FRS-8

They appeared to have made a good fist of it, it sounded better damped than you'd expect given the box volume (they had given it some space from boundaries) & the cabinet was clearly a decent point for the driver to work on / against. In system terms (totally unfamiliar in room & equipment so it's an impossibility to isolate any one thing) it was generally smooth, a bit of hash in the lower HF if memory serves which I'm fairly certain was the driver as there wasn't anything else to cause it, but nothing to shed tears over. Basically pleasent & easy to listen to, relative to a lot of the rest of the rooms at that show. Better than many commercial implementations of wideband drivers that I've heard, although how much of that was careful setup & decent box engineering I can't say. Great things? Well, from AN's own data it's a high Q driver of moderate sensitivity & limited notional linear travel, so it's not exactly flexible: big sealed boxes, OB & a large max-flat impedance TL is about your lot, practically speaking, assuming you want a decent alignment. For the rest -YMMV.

Last edited:
max-flat impedance TL?

Hi there ScottM: Could you elaborate on a "large Max-Flat impedance TL", would like to try that enclosure for an older 10" AN wizzzer coned driver. It has plenty of HF, however needs assistance for lower mid. I would use it WAWA with a low Fs woofer or a real sub. thanks, regards, Michael

Last edited:
Hi there ScottM: Could you elaborate on a "large Max-Flat impedance TL", would like to try that enclosure for an older 10" AN wizzzer coned driver. It has plenty of HF, however needs assistance for lower mid. I would use it WAWA with a low Fs woofer or a real sub. thanks, regards, Michael

A maximally flat impedance TL by definition is designed for a specific drive unit, so what applies to one does not apply to another; the dimensions are a function of Fs, Qt & Vas. If you can say which specific AN 10in model you have, I'll be able to give you the dimensions. Two caveats there:

1/ A max-flat impedance TL has one objective only. Maximally flat impedance. It has zero other considerations, and no effective line output so if you're wanting a box to help prop up the LF & lower midband, it's not likely to be it. And

2/ Max-flat impedance TLs typically have very high levels of damping; sufficiently so that in the case of a wideband driver it will probably mass-load the moving mass (suspension, coil + cone) & prevent them moving / resonating (in the latter case) as intended.

That's not the same driver at all judging from the images on that website but rather a related driver . The driver I posted is quite different.

Sorry, yes, my error. The Vertex is the Classic 8 AlNiCo, which has a slightly smoother response based on the published data (although the weaker motor [not that the + is particularly powerful] & different graph scales help a little on that front)

Last edited:
AN-10

A maximally flat impedance TL by definition is designed for a specific drive unit, so what applies to one does not apply to another; the dimensions are a function of Fs, Qt & Vas. If you can say which specific AN 10in model you have, I'll be able to give you the dimensions. Two caveats there:

1/ A max-flat impedance TL has one objective only. Maximally flat impedance. It has zero other considerations, and no effective line output so if you're wanting a box to help prop up the LF & lower midband, it's not likely to be it. And

2/ Max-flat impedance TLs typically have very high levels of damping; sufficiently so that in the case of a wideband driver it will probably mass-load the moving mass (suspension, coil + cone) & prevent them moving / resonating (in the latter case) as intended.

Hi there ScottM: Looks like you have provided sufficient information in 1) and 2) to discard the LMFI-TL. thanks, regards, Michael

Not inexpensive - but manufacture claims great things for this one. Anybody actually heard it ?
Bigun I have see this driver w/3 different versions at its web site:
1º Classic 8 Horn Alnico - no phase plug, with fabric dust cap, light different freq plot over 3kHz.
2º Classic 8 Focus
3º Classic 8+

However the Classic8Neo looks much nicer IMO,
due the useful 97dB SPL and no camel bump.

Last edited:
Difficult to compare since functionally they're completely different other than being 8in paper cone wideband drivers; the AN has a weak motor, Q at the high end of middling, nominally single cone; Lowthers more powerful motors, multi-cone, Q usually in the low end of middle into the very low category depending on model. Assuming they are unsupported, the AN suits sealed boxes & large vented enclosures; Lowthers various forms of vented (inclusive of back horns) & compound horn loading, again depending on model.

Unless supported by dedicated woofers, I wouldn't. Lowthers of any description are completely incapable of producing any kind of reasonable LF output when run in a dipole setup (you could EQ them, like a tweeter, but they would be very quiet. As in 'very'). In fairness, the AN has very little Xmax also, and while Xmax is at best a questionable guide, it won't produce a great deal of undistorted LF either.

Should do, although it would need to be a relatively large box given the weak motor & relatively high Q. It's about 0349 here & I'm stuck with insomnia, but only have my laptop to hand. The box would probably need to be about 200 litres or > based on a very quick & dirty bit of mental arithmetic & depending on the alignment goals.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.