Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2018, 10:19 PM   #1
Nasko is offline Nasko
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143

Hi, I order 2 of these speakers ,I read very good reviews for them ,and now I want to choose the best enclosures for them. What is the most appropriate construction closed box ,ported box,tl ,ob or horn ,what is the best enclosure .Which is the best box of which I will get maximum low frequencies with low times of group delays and at the same time preserve beautiful mid and high frequencies. Mostly listening to vocal jazz and pop.
Thanks
Old 15th May 2018, 11:42 PM   #2
KCHANG is offline KCHANG  United States
diyAudio Member

To get the best out of these drivers, I'd suggest that you go the WAW (woofer-assisted wide-range??) route. This way you can maximize the low frequencies while preserving the mid and high. That's how I use my W5 drivers. Right now they are in relatively small boxes sitting on separate bass modules, actively crossed over around 200Hz. The boxes have "seriously" rounded corners, which I think make a big difference. On some Jazz and Flamenco CD tracks, I actually prefer this system to my big horn system, as the instruments and human voices are more palpable.

If you use helper woofers for the bass duty, whether the W5s are to be put in sealed boxes or (wide) OBs will depend on your taste. If you have the space for an OB setup, definitely give it a try.

Kurt

Last edited by KCHANG; 15th May 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 16th May 2018, 12:24 AM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

An XKi sounds quite nice with w5-2143.

Page Not Found • Instagram
Old 16th May 2018, 12:25 AM   #4
plund is offline plund  United States
diyAudio Member

Nasko,
I certainly support what Kurt is suggesting...a Woofer assist or possibly a small sub assisting to fill in the low end does aid in becoming "immersed" in the music.. at least for me. A small sub can be placed under a desk or out of the way in a corner.

Kurt,
What are the dimmensions of your enclosures? ...and they are sealed?
Old 16th May 2018, 02:31 AM   #5
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Having built the mini-ks, if the 2143 sound anything like, but with more authority, then it might be the best enclosure for it.

Here's a working link for it.
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass
Old 16th May 2018, 06:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plund View Post
Kurt,
What are the dimmensions of your enclosures? ...and they are sealed?
The boxes are not optimized for the W5 drivers. They are recycled from a pair of cheap coaxial speakers I bought at Best Buy years ago. They are about 8.5" wide at the front baffle, 13.5" high, and 10" deep, with a trapezoidal horizontal cross section that is tapered to 2" at the back. I don't know the exact internal volume of each box, but based on my quick estimate it is close to 7 liters. The boxes are ported, and at this point the ports are not plugged. I initially used these boxes just to get a quick impression of the sound of the W5 drivers. Since the W5s on these boxes sounded pretty good in the WAW arrangement, I just left them alone.

I added half-round edges (made of cardboard) with a 2" radius on the top and two sides. Adding the half-round edges increases the effective front baffle width to around 12".

Kurt
Old 16th May 2018, 12:16 PM   #7
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCHANG View Post
sitting on separate bass modules, actively crossed over around 200Hz.
Interesting thread. I've been pondering about these drivers for a long time now. Good reviews but very little info on proven enclosures for this driver. I am also interested in the options of using this driver in a WAW setup.

Kurt, what kind of bass modules are you using? Any links to specific builds or more details please?
Old 16th May 2018, 02:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocents View Post
Kurt, what kind of bass modules are you using? Any links to specific builds or more details please?
A picture is worth a 1000 words --

The bass modules are from a high-end kit I built >20 years ago. They are 10"Wx17"Dx30"H, each having two 8" woofers, in an aperiodic alignment (a slot in the back).

By the way, you can see one of my horn speakers (Speakerlab K) in the picture.

Kurt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TB W5-2143 speaker system.jpg (726.3 KB, 1219 views)
Old 16th May 2018, 02:48 PM   #9
twocents is offline twocents  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the info Kurt.

Those horns are huge, but so are those bass modules. Looks like a nice man cave you have there.
Old 16th May 2018, 05:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocents View Post
Those horns are huge, but so are those bass modules.
You haven't seen my old OB system using four 18" woofers and a 75" line source on each side. I had to dismantle that system when I moved from Chicago to California. Based on memory, that big OB system is still the best, most satisfying, speaker system I've put together (note the qualifier). The bass modules used in the W5 system now actually came with the line sources as a kit.

Well, no intention to highjack this thread from the OP. Going back to my original point, when assisting woofers are used, it does not really matter in my view whether the W5 is in a box (or what kind of box) or on a board, as long as the diffraction (or baffle step loss) issue is addressed.

Kurt

Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143Hide this!Advertise here!