Full Range Recommendation for OB, High Efficiency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I hate to ask this, because I'm sure others have before me.. But I don't have a ton of time for research right now.. (Just bought a new house that I'm rehabbing, and I need speakers for it).

I have a pair of Emminence 15" woofers. I want to build an OB speaker system for them. I will be bi-amping w/ active xover. My amps are both only about 5 watts.
The active xover gives me a lot of flexibility.

I was going to go for alpair 7 or 10's, but just looked at their efficiency, and they aren't great there. And, then I started going down the rabbit hole of looking at everything available and second guessing every thought I have... Then I notice over 2 hours have passed and I should be ripping out old kitchen cabinets.

So, maybe I'll see if anyone here is kind enough to answer my question so I don't need to spend hours researching :).

I've always used fotex full range drivers in the past.. (I've built a few horn speakrs and one FAST style pair). So, I do like fostex, but would try anything. I would like to spend under $200 per driver.

That might be all the info you need.

Thanks for any advice.

Have you heard an OB system in a room similar to where these would be operating?
Presumably you've read one of the better series of treatises on the subject - OB Theory

While a good active XO can certainly provide all the flexibility of turnover points, slopes and perhaps even EQ, I wonder if the 5WPC would be more of a limiting factor on the woofers than whatever FR drivers you elect for the top end.

That said, if you've been happy with sound of Fostex in the past, there's no reason to avoid them for this project, but of other affordable full rangers to consider would be Alpair (A7.3, A10P) Dayton (PS180 / 220), TangBand - and numerous others to be listed shortly, no doubt.

Oh, you made me double check something.. which is that the woofers are rated at over 95db/w, but, looking at the graphs, that's not at the frequencies I'm using them for. They're much lower in the 20-100hz range. So, w/ that in mind, maybe the alpair's are a better match than I initially thought.

And yeah, all of my existing low power systems have active subs... I just got this miniDSP, and was hoping to play with bi-amping, but all of my amps are low powered. I guess one of them I'm planning to use is really more like 7-10 watts per channel.. the other is definitely around 5.

I'm thinking Hoffman's Iron Law might have a special corollary when the bass driver has no enclosure at all?

To make sense out of the published sensitivity specs, it's helpful to know what the measurement conditions were. If assuming "standard" IEC baffles in anechoic chamber, for a 15" woofer that is 2530x3000mm. You can of course go much smaller than that, but with the requirement for substantially more power - assuming the voice coil can handle it.

FWIW, I'm linking (below) to a recent post I made on this site regarding OB/dipole design, since you are in the design stages now.

Basically I assert that mounting a full ranger centrally on a big planar OB is bad (or at least has some big flaws), and suggest a way to design an OB that should sound "better". My 2 cents for you, and others who will listen.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/320815-multi-ob-2.html#post5389471

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Open baffle has bass loss that you have to deal with. That means you will not get anything like the woofer's rated SPL in the low end, unless you use a giant baffle.

Since the woofer is losing level as the frequency descends, you'll have to attenuate the top end to match it, or end up with a very poor tonal balance. The overall efficiency is limited by the low end. You can lose as much as 10-12dB, but the Alpha won't be that bad. All that adds up to your fullrange/tweeter not needling to be as efficient as the woofer. Of course it could be more efficient and you'd use attenuation.

The main thing to learn with OB is how to flatten the woofer response, and do it with the crossover.

So, taking your good advice about my lack of power for bass..

Are there any good speaker options for low powered bi-amping/active xover?
Would boxed speakers be a better idea? So a woofer box, and a full range maybe open or also in an enclosure. Then I'm basically to where I am w/ all my speaker systems.. Which is a full range horn or other boxed enclosure, with subwoofers to pick up the low end. But if that's the best option, I'll stick w/ it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's not "best", it's just different. You should certainly try OB and learn how to work out the crossover. You may like the open sound and lack of boxiness that OB brings, a lot of people do. Plus, so much less woodwork. ;) The way they interact with the room is different, and placement is important. Since you already have the Alpha woofers, why not give it a try?

How big can your baffle be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.