Lowther DX4 cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
those are big for my listening room.. unfortunately

My first idea was to build Bob Brine / MJK MLTL's. Plans are on web site Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
But: I don't like idea of using BSC circuits... For me FR speaker means direct connection from amp OPT to driver w/o something in between.. Maybe it's just prejudice and I'm wrong...

I share your prejudice. What is unclear in the Quarter Wavelength Brines design, is if the BSC was used in a general way, because the speaker was positioned away from boundaries, or if the speaker needed it even when against the wall behind.

I would never use a Lowther design away from the wall. They always need all the bass loading they can get.

I think a major criteria for any enclosure putatively designed for full-bandwidth operation of any Lowther driver - unaided by separately powered woofers, that is - is to provide as much LF gain as possible. A benchmark of the extremes to which that approach might take one wold be Nelson Pass’ Kleinhorn - and even then, papa needed himself more bottom than one of the least compromised and impractical BLH designs extant could muster.

https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn.pdf

Of course there’s a part two

PassDiy

then, the finishing touch

PassDiy

oh, you thought ponying up for super high efficiency full range drivers entitled you to a free lunch? sorry, Charlie

it could work in a regular (and modest sized ~2 - 3 cubic foot external bulk) Karlson coupler - but probably only down to 75Hz or so - then roll in a "helper" sub. It would be interesting to simply put it in an existing K12 for evaluation.

H6OTrwW.jpg

Last edited:
What about an ML-BLH as a compromise between bulk/low tuning? I don't recall ever discussing this alignment on any of the forums other than as a ML-TQWT, which of course isn't the same.

I mean has anybody ever experimented with venting any of the so called BLHs that are just BVRs? IIRC they looked promising using MJK's software sims I did ages ago now, but don't have MC loaded, etc., to refresh my memory :(.

GM

Yes; oddly enough I was looking at a variation only a few weeks ago for one of those Japan-only SE Fostex units, although I didn't take it to a full design stage. Definitely some potential in there, particularly to keep excursion down, but they're trickier to balance off given the number of variables. OTOH, those do give a lot of options too. :) At the time, I was thinking probably best to approach them from a quasi-compression POV, but I'm currently on my laptop down in London so don't have any of the data I saved. Will dig it out when I get back home; probably be Friday morning.

Last edited:
Wow. Those Pass horns are something else. The best Lowther based speakers I have heard have had front horns as well. The best variation of this is the original Voigt Domestic Corner horn. I measured a friend's and it was essentially flat 40Hz-10k!

Stunning as this design can be, it has real life problems. It was designed as a single mono speaker and for me it has limitations in stereo. Secondly one suitable corner is difficult enough, two is usually impossible in a modern living room. They fetch silly money (and there are only 300 odd in existence) and building them is beyond feasible for most mortals.

The fact is, any practical Lowther design is going to be compromised, but to their adherents like me, they do have a magic about them. The rooms in my present house are too small to entertain any notion of having them. WAF is off the scale in negative terms.

I had Lowther dx2 in Mau IV horns (that a friend built - 80kg a piece) for 10 years. I used parallel se 2A3 amps and liked the Lowthers a lot. They sounded good in my thickwalled concrete house in a 7m x 3,5m room ( c.a. 21 x 10 feet). I sold them when I moved to another country and moved to a wooden house. The bottom end totally dissapeered, I could have tried subwoofers but decsided to buy convential loudspeakers. Did not find anything of my liking there and ended up with Altecs, first a pair of 604-8g and now A5s.

plans for metronome tables DX2 (please search). these cabinets are to be quite flexible insofar as to accommodating different drivers. tons of bass. great WAF.
Nice looking cabinets. Anybody heard them with DX4? How do they perform vs Voigt Pipes (Lowther Club of Norway) and vs Medallion II? What are advantages (except build simplicity) and disadvantages of first two designs?

I'm planning to order plywood cuts in local woodworking shop and will start assembling of cabinets next weekend. It seems, that making decision on cabinet design is more difficult than build them))

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the possibility of using the Lowther drivers in a BIB, that'd give you bass along with a simple to build cabinet. You can always build something more complex later.

How do you like the Medallions?

I was about to built them, but last minute decide to build PAP Trio 15 clone. Additional parts are already purchased - Eminence Alpha 15's, Soundcare superspikes, belden speakr wire, 4pairs of cardas ccpl binding posts are on the way, baffles are CNC cut from 21mm birch ply... hope will finish project after summer holidays... in the middle of August. When I finish speakers, will start new Lowther Trio 15 thread and will post photos.

But... now I need second amp and active crossover))) So, next step is to buy at diyaudiostore Pass F6 board and transistors.. hopefully soon B5 kit will be available too…

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.