Visaton B80/100 experience So?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That’s a pretty complex filter for a full range!

Parts:
Audaphon MKP CAP Superior 0,33 uF / 400 Vdc
Audaphon MKP CAP Superior 0,68 uF / 400 Vdc
Mundorf Backlack-Luftspule BL71, 0,47 mH/0,57 Ohm
Mundorf Backlack-Luftspule BL71, 0,82 mH/0,89 Ohm
Mundorf Backlack-Luftspule BL100, 1,5 mH/0,62 Ohm
Metalloxidwiderstand MOX10 8,2 Ohm (grau-rot-gold)
2x Metalloxidwiderstand MOX3 3,3 Ohm (orange-orange-gold)
Bausatz mit High-End-Weiche ohne Gehäuse, Preis pro Lautsprecher EUR 142,00 ohne MwSt: € 119.33 / $ 146.77

Impedanzkorrektur

Falls der Lautsprecher an einem Röhrenverstärker betrieben werden soll, dann sollte eine Impedanzkorrektur zum Einsatz kommen. Hier spielt die Bauteilqualität nur eine geringe Rolle, weswegen wir nur einen Bausatz anbieten (auf Wunsch erhalten Sie selbstverständlich auch höherwertige Bauteile).

Zur Impedanzkorrektur liefern wir folgende Bauteile:

Mundorf Elko glatt, 10 uF / 70 Vdc
Metalloxidwiderstand MOX10 15 Ohm (braun-grün-schwarz)

I have the B80, and it has worked very well in the two designs I tried it.

I placed two in a Nola Brio clone and they performed very well.

I also tried them with a helper 8" woofer under, like X's 10F thread, with a simple 1st order XO and again, very nice.

@Xrk Mr Timmermanns of HobbyHifi creates strange enclosures and needs complex XOs to compensate the design faults. His maingoal is to make it different than anyone else but his designs are working... I don't like his stuff but its one of the last speaker diy papers out there and the measurements of new speakers are always intereting :)

The Visaton 80 and 100 are both not bad but i think for the price you can go with better fullrange drivers.

Attachments

• miniposaune mit flute.jpg
    miniposaune mit flute.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 1,289
Hi Peter, no I don't have any direct example at the moment and I was general speaking about his "philosophy". I also stated that the designs are working ;) Probably you would agree if you try to read his texts or explanations to his designs. I know alot of people who are very pleased with his kits and I also own two. It's true that Timmermann is aiming for the flatest possible response but he also likes to build very small/exotic cabinets and compensate the response to an acceptable value. I'm really no expert but I found for myself that usually simpler designs with lesser XOs are possible.
But please let's get back to the Visaton question... :)

@s4m
I am buying both Klang+Ton and HH and have no problem reading German. Small is desirable today so no wonder he chose to do tiny boxes. K+T have more wonky designs in my opinion�� Anyway, I have listened to the B80 before sending to XK's test mention before in this test, it's a nice driver! B100 I have no experience with...

Cheers��

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@s4m
I am buying both Klang+Ton and HH and have no problem reading German. Small is desirable today so no wonder he chose to do tiny boxes. K+T have more wonky designs in my opinion�� Anyway, I have listened to the B80 before sending to XK's test mention before in this test, it's a nice driver! B100 I have no experience with...

Cheers��

Yes, I should have mentioned that Peterbrorsson (Thank you!!!) was very kind to donate the B80's the cause of test and compare with other drivers. It really is a fine sounding driver, up there with the best of the best full range drivers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A line array with 3FE22 16ohms might be very interesting. The 16ohms allows different wiring schemes and may simplify implementation. It has a very natural and smooth response and is 91dB sensitive. Many people are making line arrays with the less expensive ferrite magnet 3FE25 which is also very good but I seem to recall that 3FE22 sounds smoother.

@Xrk Mr Timmermanns of HobbyHifi creates strange enclosures and needs complex XOs to compensate the design faults. His maingoal is to make it different than anyone else but his designs are working... I don't like his stuff but its one of the last speaker diy papers out there and the measurements of new speakers are always intereting :)

The Visaton 80 and 100 are both not bad but i think for the price you can go with better fullrange drivers.

Which begs the question: exactly what full range drivers are you referring to?
?

VISATON B-100 / B-80 Experience Anyone?

BUMP!

Any update on this thread, from anyone?

I'm trying to compare the VISATON B-100 with the FOSTEX FE107E - for FULL RANGE (Single-driver, No crossover) use in a small Base Reflex Cabinet.

(Think BLUMENSTEIN ORCA...)

Thoughts or experiences, anyone?

:wave:

I have FF125wk which some seem to find a bit forward compared with B100.

I too found it like that too, until I messed around with how I mounted it. Instead of flush mounting I found a piece of PVC tube and mounted it proud of the baffle by a couple of inches.

For some reason, this seems to improve soundstaging and imaging. Not sure that it should, but to my ears it does; things are simply easier to locate in space, better defined. And the Fostex no longer seems to have that slightly shrill aspect to it.
A really good driver, a bit easier to drive than the B100 too, or perhaps it is just a bit louder because it is a bigger driver.

Interesting...

Thanks for the intel, Luigi.

I run the stock FOSTEX FE107E in my ORCAS, but need to replace the drivers.
For smaller rooms like we have in NZ, they are fabulous little speakers - I have to say.
I thought a bit of discovery and (perhaps) experimentation was in order - hence my interest in alternative full-range drivers.
The VISTON B-100 seems to be the right size for the cabinet and has similar specs, but as we all know, specs only tell half the story...
;)

Hi Tony
The B100s work really nicely in my Frugel horns, as do the Fostex. The bass isn't huge with either, but I have a pair of 10-inch woofers in their own enclosures for the bottom end.
I had kind of given up on the FF125s until mounting them proud of the baffle by a couple of inches. Seemed to change their presentation entirely. I have them in something else now, but with the same effect when mounting them "outboard". Course the look makes them no longer appear like furniture, more like alien items, but I just dont give a fig about that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.