Mark Audio Pluvia 7 and Dayton RS100-8 opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm comparing these two drivers....for use in a sealed full range enclosure.

Mark Audio Pluvia 7 £85 a pair
Pluvia 7 – Soft Chrome/Vintage Gold (pair) | KJF Audio

Dayton RS100-8 opinions £70 a pair
Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 8 Ohm

I wonder if people who have used either could share their experiences with them? I see the Mark Audio CHR-70 seems to have been used a bit on here and I wonder if the Pluvia 7 is a similar performing driver.

The minimum recommended sealed enclosure for the Mark Audio seems to be 4.1L, where as the Dayton is stated at 1.7L, which appeals as I'd like these little mix cubes to be pretty small.

One of my greatest concerns is trying to get as much bass response out of such a small sealed unit.

Matt, you may have partially answered your own question - or at least predicted the Hoffman Iron Law problem - unless the driver is designed to handle the power and EQ required to deliver the nebulous “satisfactory” amount of bass response, a tiny sealed box may not cut it.

I don’t yet have experience with any of the Dayton drivers either, but as Dave states, the P7 is a very decent sounding piece - in enclosures larger than 2 liters. At that end of the scale, you might want to look at the FF85WK, and perhaps reconsider restricting yourself to sealed?

If I read the Dayton’s specs correctly, a .04cu ft sealed box will give you 136Hz - theoretically OK if you’re planning to add woofers, but I’d still want to put a HP filter to protect them. In a vented box approx .1 cu ft, it’ll give you a much more acceptable 67Hz.

ANSTAAFL

Last edited:
Mattsug,

Generally, a HP filter will protect the drivers from too much excursion. For these speakers you might filter out anything below 30-35Hz. You can do this with a line-level or speaker type crossover.

On the speakers. I'm using the Pluvia 7's in an open baffle with some 10" Visaton WS25E's for bass support below 375Hz in a sort of open baffle FAST or WAW approach. Pretty happy with the Pluvias right now on all genres of music at near field. I haven't had experience with the Dayton RS100's either but I do have a couple pairs of the Dayton PS95-8's that i'm very happy with. If you want to keep your boxes as small as possible the RS100's are probably the way to go. Curious, what would you be using for your crossover from the JBL's to the Dayton/Pluvias?

Mattsug,

Generally, a HP filter will protect the drivers from too much excursion. For these speakers you might filter out anything below 30-35Hz. You can do this with a line-level or speaker type crossover.

On the speakers. I'm using the Pluvia 7's in an open baffle with some 10" Visaton WS25E's for bass support below 375Hz in a sort of open baffle FAST or WAW approach. Pretty happy with the Pluvias right now on all genres of music at near field. I haven't had experience with the Dayton RS100's either but I do have a couple pairs of the Dayton PS95-8's that i'm very happy with. If you want to keep your boxes as small as possible the RS100's are probably the way to go. Curious, what would you be using for your crossover from the JBL's to the Dayton/Pluvias?

Sorry you're misunderstanding, I'm planing to build some little mix cube speakers with the MarkAudios or Dayton, as a second reference pair of monitors. I'm currently using the JBLs as my main monitors, but they are too flattering in the bass department, which is why I'm looking for something with a bit more focus on the mid range which I can switch back and forth between.

Not having heard the little JBLs - which are specifically designed by a firm with a fairly impressive legacy of building recording monitors- I’m thinking that switching between them and a clearly compromised mini cube FR driver system could cause any recording engineer more than a modicum of misdirection of attention.

Not having heard the little JBLs - which are specifically designed by a firm with a fairly impressive legacy of building recording monitors- I’m thinking that switching between them and a clearly compromised mini cube FR driver system could cause any recording engineer more than a modicum of misdirection of attention.

Whatever JBLs pedigree, these 4208s are bass heavy speakers. I’ve used them a great deal. The bass extension is a little too much and as a result when mixing I tend to get a misrepresentation of the bass frequencies.

Small full range monitors are often used in studios as a secondary reference speaker (just ask Quincy Jones).

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The RS100 is a fine driver. Nice detail and fairly flat smooth response. It is aluminum cone so will have some “tizzle” sound up high - the impulse response will show a bit of a HF ring. But nothing objectionable. It is well built with a cast frame and solid aluminum phase plug. The bezel, cone and phase plug all have a nicely finished black anodized finish. The motor has copper shorting rings to reduce distortion. If you want to hear what it sounds like relative to other full range drivers look for sound clips in these threads along with measurements and opinions of which sounds better. IMO, the value leader for best smooth sound with great detail is TG9FD 8ohm version. If looking for a great sounding driver but less important to have deep bass (great as top in a FAST), the SB Acoustics SB65WBAC25-4 should be looked at. That SB has a top end like a 1in aluminum dome tweeter. Downside is 4 ohms and rather low sensitivity.

Best all around driver and cheap as chips is the TC9FD.

Best performance (measurement as well as sound and opinions) drivers are the Visaton B80 and SS 10F/8424.

Round 1:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...nd-comparison-3in-5in-full-range-drivers.html

Round 2:
A Subjective Blind Comparison of 3in to 5in drivers - Round 2

Round 3:
A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 3

Round 4:
A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 4in drivers - Round 4

Round 5:
A Subjective Blind Comparison of 2in to 3.5in drivers - Round 5

Round 6:
Subjective Blind ABX Test of EnABLed FF85WK - Round 6

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.