Hawking Memorial Obelisk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Could you also make version for other popular drivers? For example Mark Audio Alpair 7. I have a pair of ver 1 Alpair 7 waiting for inspiration.

I don’t think we will make an A7.3 specific version of this, but there is a series underways for the Alpairs that is a similar monolith presentation… A7.3 and A12pw in the works, we have only done the A103/A10p so far.

http://wodendesign.com/planset/Poplar-A10x-MLTL-teaser.pdf

dave

freddi - thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve done enough spray-bomb work on surface areas as large as these that I’d prefer to go the p-lam route as long as the shapes will permit, and I continue to have access to the required materials and space.

Anyways, Dave might prefer the close to dead flat texture and very low sheen that the Fenix product offers.

Maybe one of the pretty darn good simulations available in plastic laminates these days?
Much cheaper, a helluva lot easier to work with than stone, and someone’s gotta move these buggers during and after fabrication

I would guesstimate about 35kg, without the driver. How much do you think they will weigh using 18mm plywood?

For cutting the slabs, we use a (big) saw, for cutting holes or curves, it's cnc water jet.

I’m on vacay for the next week or so, and have long since stopped trying to commit such details to memory, but based on my recollection of the cut-sheet breakout - approx 1 1/2 4x8ft sheets per pair? and a density of well less than MDF’s 45lb / cubic foot, I’d wild-@ss guess around 25-30kg per box, less drivers? Regardless of the math, and whatever putative sonic advantages stone might have, my recovering rotator cuff and L1-5 degenerated discs - and more importantly, wife - prescribe against fabricating with stone.

Others so inclined, please have at it

I’m on vacay for the next week or so, and have long since stopped trying to commit such details to memory, but based on my recollection of the cut-sheet breakout - approx 1 1/2 4x8ft sheets per pair? and a density of well less than MDF’s 45lb / cubic foot, I’d wild-@ss guess around 25-30kg per box, less drivers? Regardless of the math, and whatever putative sonic advantages stone might have, my recovering rotator cuff and L1-5 degenerated discs - and more importantly, wife - prescribe against fabricating with stone.

Others so inclined, please have at it

No worries, Chris.
It was just an observation, and since the "original" obelisk from the movie was a stone, it just jumped to my mind.

Enjoy vacation! (then, what are you doing here?). :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.