Full range >98dB SPL drivers for 45 tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear sir, I am providing technical facts that contradict your incorrect statements, and historical information for your education. Simple as.

a/ You will note that the F200a is not in production, and has not been for several years.

b/ You are claiming that the equivalently sized AN drivers with equivalent magnet types have more motor power, higher SPLs and higher power handling than the defunct F200a, despite the fact that their own data sheets show the opposite.

Well, I'm not calling anybody anything; you will note however that I was not the one who raised the subject of Fostex, but merely provided technical data to correct Fullrangeman's incorrect statements, which were liable to mislead anybody who didn't know they were wrong. Speaking generally however, both companies produce some decent drivers (and some that aren't so good ;) ) & I doubt anybody is likely to argue with that.

What is not? <snip>
I gave a link about new replicas of diatone driver, like an information abot these afordable drivers. Nothing else about?

When speaking of materials I maybe used word resolution to point that the alnico aloys hvae lets say better detection of small magnetic energy and events. That is not the resoution in terms of sound but electromagnetic propertys and it is maybe better to name it sensitivity? That is not subjective. (But not all alnico alloys the are the same there are different mixtures.)

It can be. Big Tannoys are very good when set up well. Although I prefer Altec 604s myself. Although I wouldn't say no to either... ;)
Tannoys are very very good BUT they have 15db to 20db higher SPL from HF horn units inside then the main LF unit. That is even more with 2, stereo set up in average room... Simple attenaution comonly used is not the solution. This is the problem for listening in small distances, but in larger distances like in theaters and halls they perform very very good...

That 0.53x Karlsonator cabinet is a ML-TQWT with Karlson aperture and reaches a substantial 50Hz with about same efficiency as highs. The bass is very good and for most music you won’t miss a sub.

If you really want to dig deeper with lower fs you are looking at much larger and expensive drivers that won’t have as good top end.

Thank you guys for all your inputs, I am definitely going to build 0.53 version from 12mm plywood or MDF based on the sketches from Skylar88 with 3FE25-16.

Slightly out of topic: I was also wondering if I could use larger Karlsonator for hybrid (paper and aluminum) EMI speakers 13x8'' 92390CL from 60/70' designed by EMI genius Dr. Gilbert Dutton with Qt too high for a closed cabinet. I have never heard such a great reproduction of female voices. It sounds great even without any enclosure.

A year ago I have re-magnetized ferrite magnets in Polish speaker factory Tonsil in Września, the Qt is now slightly lower but still too high, efficiency is higher about 0.5 dB SPL. Not sure if they fit Karlsonator design...

unnamed_1.png

unnamed_4.png

a.jpg

d.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your inputs, I am definitely going to build 0.53 version from 12mm plywood or MDF based on the sketches from Skylar88 with 3FE25-16.

Good choice.
Slightly out of topic: I was also wondering if I could use larger Karlsonator for hybrid (paper and aluminum) EMI speakers 13x8'' 92390CL from 60/70' designed by EMI genius Dr. Gilbert Dutton with Qt too high for a closed cabinet. I have never heard such a great reproduction of female voices. It sounds great even without any enclosure.

I very much doubt it. With a Q as high as that you're just going to get huge peaking / problems around resonance. Still, stranger things have happened, but I'd be surprised if it worked out without a shed-load of damping, which would rather negate the point.

Last edited:
I gave a link about new replicas of diatone driver, like an information abot these afordable drivers. Nothing else about?

As in information / people who have bought those units? Not that I know of. I recall somebody buying a pair a while back but there have been / are quite a few versions, so no idea which one it was. I do know somebody else here bought a pair of the 3in unit offered by the same people (same cone material & leather surround) & his comment was that it's the worst driver he's ever bought, which tends to make me cautious. If they were a fixed, recognised brand, I'd be a little more optimistic.

When speaking of materials I maybe used word resolution to point that the alnico aloys hvae lets say better detection of small magnetic energy and events. That is not the resoution in terms of sound but electromagnetic propertys and it is maybe better to name it sensitivity?

Possibly. But it depends on the grades & what you're comparing. The top grade of ferrite tend to have an edge over the lower end AlNiCo for e.g. the last time I checked.

That is not subjective. (But not all alnico alloys the are the same there are different mixtures.)

Agreed, I've made the same point myself in posts above.

Tannoys are very very good BUT they have 15db to 20db higher SPL from HF horn units inside then the main LF unit. That is even more with 2, stereo set up in average room...

How is it more with two?

I do agree, big Tannoys aren't always straightforward to set up in a smaller room, but being a coax I've never really found integration of the drive units to be the main problem, more that some of their models can overpower the space in the LF, in which case the most effective solution is to bleed off a little pressure.

Simple attenaution comonly used is not the solution.

I can't say I've had that problem myself. What has been the particular issue you've experienced?

Last edited:
Are you talking about the modern production Altec ?

Either the current GPA 604s or an original pair in good condition. The GPAs are not clones, they're made using the original Altec tooling, with the same processes & materials per the originals, with a few refinements added in IIRC. I'd almost certainly take the GPAs over a vintage pair & I'm not alone in that. Wish they could bring the 755A back. Technically possible -original tooling & data is available. It's the cost of doing it that's unfeasible, sadly. :bawling:

Last edited:
The FR graphs show a considerable rise in output as you move upwards of a 1kHz. About 10dB between 1kHz and 8kHz (on-axis). That's a deal-breaker for my ears. Other people's ears may be fine, relying on toe-in to keep out of the hot-spot. On the other-hand, the published FR shows a good 10dB fall-off between 1kHz and 8kHz off-axis. Perhaps you can arrange the toe-in just right for the only listening position in the room where it all comes together.

Last edited:
THANK YOU FullRangeMan!
Makes much more sense. I would have immediately understood the point if it said "rising hf response" or similar.
I still think it's a great driver though. There is always something with any driver, but think this one does a lot of things "right".

Bigun: I do not think the AN units are perfect in any regard either, they also have rising response, it looks reasonably flat in the datasheets, but the dividers are 10db and go from 0 to 110db. I have previosuly owned some AN drivers, and while they where pretty good, I gave them up in the end because
1. One of the coils started rubbing, even though it was not abused in any way, the seller offered a good deal on new units, but shipping was really expensive.
2. sweet spot was crazy narrow. Like 5-10cm in any direction and there was a real loss of detail on certain frequencies. Do not know if this implies to the other units, may have been just the one size I had.
3. they also had rising hf response. With more severe peaks and dips between 1khz-10khz, have not seen 45 degree off axis plots for any AN driver.

Do not misunderstand me, I quite liked the AN drivers, they just got too pricey for me, and although they where quite good, they wheren't "never gonna buy anything else again" good.

The AN units helped me decide to go the multi-way route with coaxials. Had the Hawthorne 15" cheap one that was fun but gave it away, and the 10" Sterling Silver Iris is still in my posession, quite like those.
The Fane 15", with a certain amount of toe-in, and some dampening of the higher frequencies, gives me the widest sweet spot I've had with any FR unit over 6.5".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.