Optimal Single Driver FR Speakers for Smallish Narrow Room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you can’t make the trapezoids there are rectangular ones, Classic Golden Ratio, and the Compact FloorStander — all easier builds.

Yes the traps are not an easy build, but they bring a subtle reduction in diffraction signature (cross-section is roughly a teardrop shape), and they look cool.

dave
I let my A12p drivers run for 24h. I'm still on and off with the feeling of a mismatched pair but I have them so may as well build a small box and see what happens.

I don't want to invest too much into it not knowing if being in a box designed for them will balance out the perceived differences but also don't want to entirely skimp in the event it does work out, after all, I've yet to read of anyone else receiving sonically mismatched Mark Audio drivers.

I'm thinking one of the Mar-Ken plans, either the simple Classic GR Mar-Ken12p 0v8 or the more complex build wise trapezoid Mar-Ken12pxwT 0v82 (I have the plans from 2015) Please advise which build would be best to bring out the driver's better attributes in a small room?

The A12p really like a big box like the FHXL or Pensils. For a standmount, i’d choose the widest one possible. I could draw up an extraWide trapezoid, it would be kinda short overwise the CGR might have an edge in openness.

dave
I was under the impression A12p is not really suited for FHXL, has it been tried?

Would FHXL with A12p be preferred over the standard (smaller sized) Pencil A12p?

Thank you for the extra-wide trap offer but an ex-wide width short length stand-mount box would really only appeal to me for use as a center channel in a home theater system.

OK, now I just had a total "Don't You Feel Like A Schmuck When" moment! The good news is there is nothing wrong with my Mark Audio A12p driver pair. I obsessed over uneven glue overflow between the voice coil and cone underside as the cause of an imbalance that I apparently neglected to do a thorough tube check:eek: Just finished up with the old RatShack sound level meter to measure the drivers using a random YouTube stereo separation test video source. Swapped drivers L&R, the sound stayed with the channel. Was a mismatched, i.e., someone sold me a crappy pair of NOS Tung-Sol 6SFGT driver tubes!:mad: Swapped them out for a pair of NOS Philco 6SFGT tubes which came in their original boxes and problem solved! Could've sworn I switched around the tubes back when the imbalance became apparent, I certainly recall swapping L&R driver locations, who knows, maybe I screwed up the switch, concluded it was the drivers and stopped there. :confused: Got depressed over what I thought was a fault of the drivers and abandoned build plans, pretty much stopped going into the room where I kept that gear and listened to the other system in the den with the old HH Scott 222c int amp or the Bose wave raido/cd thing in the kitchen! Also attended a lot of live performances. Hobbies! Unbelievable!:rolleyes:

Time to put those 12p's in a box and find out what they can do!

Getting back on topic, "Full-Range for Small'ish Room", the question is do I go with the Classic GR Mar-Ken12p 0v8 for now and wait for Jane (intriguing horn option), or build the Pensil A12 because the GR Mar-Ken won't do the 12p drivers justice?

I tend to think the Super-Pensil A12 would have too much bass output for a smaller room and or not enough breathing room for the air it moves, IDK, been wrong about a lot of this stuff:boggled: Also IIRC, @ScottMoose prefers the sound of A12p in the standard Pensil over the A12p Super-Pensil, think I read something to that extent somewhere in the Full Range forum...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.