Some questions for my first 4 inch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The high Qts does mean that it may suit a over stuffed pipe or TL quite well - if done right then the in box roll off would be similar to infinite baffle or closed box.

(forgetting f-10dB waffle which means little with such a small driver, when you plan on using F-3dB to match XO to subwoofer)

But then if you stuff a vented box to the point that it acts in this way, then you may as well just stay with a closed box design (which would be smaller with a similar output)

Case in point, Fountek FW100B, Qts of about 0.6-0.7.
It will extend down to almost 40Hz in a 20litre vented box, with a Chebychev roll off.
But transient response in 4 litre sealed box, is better, F3 ends up about 100Hz, perfect for integrating to a sub at 100Hz.
Room reinforcement (cabin gain) means that the -3dB at 100Hz sounds nice an balanced.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...the best solution for this speaker to get some bass tones is a TABAQ enclosure which aesthetically...

I don’t know if it has been considered, but the Frugel-Horn Mk3 is likely the leading candidate to extract the maximum bass, both depth and gain, from a 4ish inch driver. And it is asthetically quite different, whether in a good direction or not, is something only you — and any WAF — can decide.

The one in the middle (with FE126eN2):

FH-family-photos.jpg

The Frugel-Horn Family

dave

But then if you stuff a vented box to the point that it acts in this way, then you may as well just stay with a closed box design (which would be smaller with a similar output)

Case in point, Fountek FW100B, Qts of about 0.6-0.7.
It will extend down to almost 40Hz in a 20litre vented box, with a Chebychev roll off.
But transient response in 4 litre sealed box, is better, F3 ends up about 100Hz, perfect for integrating to a sub at 100Hz.
Room reinforcement (cabin gain) means that the -3dB at 100Hz sounds nice an balanced.

Yes I don't think all the box should be fully stuffed I did put absorbing material next to the wooden inside.and one of the testing I made was to compare it without any as I said above.
I still have 2 pairs of them I could use the other 2 in a system with a 6" or even 8" woofer with more power. In such a case this one could be crossed somewhere above 200Hz depending on the woofer. The What do you think??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.