Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Some questions for my first 4 inch
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th November 2019, 01:40 PM   #41
mondogenerator is online now mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

The high Qts does mean that it may suit a over stuffed pipe or TL quite well - if done right then the in box roll off would be similar to infinite baffle or closed box.

(forgetting f-10dB waffle which means little with such a small driver, when you plan on using F-3dB to match XO to subwoofer)

But then if you stuff a vented box to the point that it acts in this way, then you may as well just stay with a closed box design (which would be smaller with a similar output)

Case in point, Fountek FW100B, Qts of about 0.6-0.7.
It will extend down to almost 40Hz in a 20litre vented box, with a Chebychev roll off.
But transient response in 4 litre sealed box, is better, F3 ends up about 100Hz, perfect for integrating to a sub at 100Hz.
Room reinforcement (cabin gain) means that the -3dB at 100Hz sounds nice an balanced.
Old 17th November 2019, 06:01 PM   #42
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
...the best solution for this speaker to get some bass tones is a TABAQ enclosure which aesthetically...
I donít know if it has been considered, but the Frugel-Horn Mk3 is likely the leading candidate to extract the maximum bass, both depth and gain, from a 4ish inch driver. And it is asthetically quite different, whether in a good direction or not, is something only you ó and any WAF ó can decide.

The one in the middle (with FE126eN2):

Click the image to open in full size.

The Frugel-Horn Family

dave
Old 18th November 2019, 08:00 AM   #43
vha is offline vha  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am impressed. That's nice need space. Did you try with 4FE35??
Old 18th November 2019, 08:23 AM   #44
vha is offline vha  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
But then if you stuff a vented box to the point that it acts in this way, then you may as well just stay with a closed box design (which would be smaller with a similar output)

Case in point, Fountek FW100B, Qts of about 0.6-0.7.
It will extend down to almost 40Hz in a 20litre vented box, with a Chebychev roll off.
But transient response in 4 litre sealed box, is better, F3 ends up about 100Hz, perfect for integrating to a sub at 100Hz.
Room reinforcement (cabin gain) means that the -3dB at 100Hz sounds nice an balanced.

Yes I don't think all the box should be fully stuffed I did put absorbing material next to the wooden inside.and one of the testing I made was to compare it without any as I said above.
I still have 2 pairs of them I could use the other 2 in a system with a 6" or even 8" woofer with more power. In such a case this one could be crossed somewhere above 200Hz depending on the woofer. The What do you think??
Old 18th November 2019, 05:56 PM   #45
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vha View Post
I am impressed. That's nice need space. Did you try with 4FE35??
No. I have thou just hooked up some 3FE25 and so far ó just as they break-in, sound very promising. FH3 is very vesratile wrt speakers mounted. Adjustment of the amount of damping allows tunign for driver, room, and taste.

dave

Some questions for my first 4 inchHide this!Advertise here!