Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

3D printed speaker enclose; thoughts ?
3D printed speaker enclose; thoughts ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2018, 07:01 PM   #11
pandax is offline pandax  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I agree; but who would have guessed 10 years ago that foamcore would work as speaker material ?
And look at the amount of designs / speakers made out of foamcore nowadays !

3D printing is easy, and fairly cheap.
I want to try, tweak, and get a clear answer.
Because "nah it won't work, it's plastic" isn't enough for me ( no harsh feeling here, just saying )
Old 15th March 2018, 03:49 AM   #12
globalplayer is offline globalplayer  Germany
diyAudio Member

I am not saying it won`t work.
It just won`t sound like wood.
That`s all.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:55 PM   #13
hugo stiglitz is offline hugo stiglitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.
Like someone said earlier, you'd need to fill the enclosure with something heavy.
Sand and/or concrete comes to my mind.. unless you'll have some nasty cabinet resonances I fear
Old 18th September 2019, 01:37 PM   #14
dr frost dk is offline dr frost dk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

i made these the last 2 years and can say they sound better then ALL other wood cabinets i made (also hard to make an egg shape without CNC)

3D Printed Egg Speakers.jpg
EDIT: Also on Make: Magazine
3D Printed Egg Speakers | Make:

Also gives you soooo many options, right now im doing a transparent version with 72 ws2812b leds inside, like this very early 3" version in the video (crappy phone with "noise" canceling), but much cool as all diodes goes all around on the inside
YouTube

Download here
About dr_frost_dk - Thingiverse

Also doing subwoofers and the TDA7293/4 amp

Last edited by dr frost dk; 18th September 2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:41 AM   #15
impuls60 is offline impuls60  Norway
diyAudio Member

Cool looking printed cabinets! "Filling enclosure with something heavy" isn't always the best solution. There are more clever ways to control the energy inside the cabinets. The most advanced method would be printing with 2 filaments, one hard and one soft in layers. Or print with 2 layers with a small gap between and poor a special polyurethane (cant remember the name of the product)between for constrained dampening.
I would also like to see a front and back loaded horn in printed cabinet tuned really high. That way it wouldn't be so big..

3D printed speaker enclose; thoughts ?Hide this!Advertise here!