Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Woden Falcon Build
Woden Falcon Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Scottmoose is offline Scottmoose  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

There isn't a vent. It's just part of the line. You can, but I wouldn't myself.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:56 PM   #12
jdrouin is offline jdrouin  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, ok. Thanks for explaining. I won't flare it.
Old 8th March 2018, 10:54 PM   #13
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Woden Falcon Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
A question just occurred to me: Since this build uses material that is 1/4" thicker than spec'd in Scott's original design, might it be worthwhile to chamfer or flare the vent opening at the back?
Not really.

I have converted a couple of these kind of Scott boxes from one thickness to another and am quite anal about it, but Scott is much less caring… you’ll be fine.

dave
Old 8th March 2018, 11:11 PM   #14
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrouin View Post
The grain is so open and deep that I think sanding would probably ruin it.
Rustins Grainfiller | Stainable Grain Filler | Wood Grain Filler
Old 15th March 2018, 02:31 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the grainfiller suggestion, scottjoplin. I will try to find that locally.

The material I'm working with has two different colors/grain patterns that I like for different reasons, so I made two pair of front baffles just to see how they'd look. One is lighter in color with better grain clarity and interesting patterns (as well as figures), the other is darker and redder with thicker and straighter grain. So I did a couple schedule boards with Watco Natural Danish Oil to see how that would affect the appearance. The boards are unsanded and divided into three sections: unfinished, Danish oil with no pre-stain (middle), and Danish oil with two coats of pre-stain (to see if it would even up the color contrast for a more consistent tone).

In the attached pics they are placed next to the driver to get a sense of how the box would look either way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0956.jpg (466.3 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0008.jpg (848.6 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (841.8 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (646.6 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (610.7 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by jdrouin; 15th March 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 16th March 2018, 04:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Started gluing today with the top and rear panels of speaker A, using right angle guides to try and keep everything square. The risk with this approach is that the side edges of the two pieces don't match up, which could throw off the seal when gluing on the final side. It took some finess with the right angle guides and bar clamps to make sure they didn't wander under pressure. I also used biscuits at that joint to keep things stable.

Testing revealed that the depth/angle guide on my cheap Ryobi biscuit jointer is very difficult to get square. It's far more accurate to measure, draw lines with a pencil, and use the guide marks on the side and bottom.

I think I'm going to go with the lighter/clearer grain on the visible sides in order to let the material show itself to best effect. Also, since most FF-series builds seem to use dark red/brown colors, this would be a little different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (731.8 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by jdrouin; 16th March 2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 16th March 2018, 04:33 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Keeping an eye on progress.
Old 17th March 2018, 03:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I’ve got a question that could affect how I construct the front baffle. If I chamfer the side edges along the front, is there an optimum baffle width to aim for?

Looking at everything pieced together for a dry fit, since I’m using nominal 3/4” (18mm) material, the external width is increased by 1/2” for a total of about 6 1/2”. It looks substantial enough that it might warrant attention for matching frequency response with the bass waves emanating from the rear or for proper dispersion from the front.
Old 17th March 2018, 03:36 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Within reason, not particularly. In this application it's primarily cosmetic, so I'd use whatever is the largest practical for your build material & leave it at that.
Old 22nd March 2018, 06:40 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

OK, thanks. Decision will be cosmetic -- either a 45* chamfer down the front side edges or a 3/8" roundover of all edges. Will see how it looks when sealed and flush-trimmed.

Coming along slowly but accurately. Exterior sides are square. Using biscuits to keep the manifolds square and properly spaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0291.jpg (499.2 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0292.jpg (528.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0293.jpg (550.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0306.jpg (530.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0307.jpg (545.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0310.jpg (468.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0311.jpg (602.8 KB, 56 views)

Woden Falcon BuildHide this!Advertise here!