combining two same full-range:does the low-range increase?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!
First of all, I apologize for my ignorance...but I'm a newbie.
Iìd like to combine two Monacor SP-205 fullrange for each cabinet (a sort of "array system").
This Monacor fullrange has a low frequency of just 100Hz, so my question is:
do you get a lower frequency response by using two Monacor SP-205 for each cabinet?...in other words, I mean: do the low frequencies range increase with two drivers in the same cabinet or they don't change at all?
Thank you for your kindness.;)
Best regards:)

Dual 8" ?

Dave is right.

I leveled my dual 4" (5" frames) with pennies at 10'.
Vertical sweet spot was so small, i couldn't hunch without losing past 5khz.
Smaller than 8" full range was the vert sweet spot.

I have a theory that you can array 12's, but i sold mine and can't tolerate a 55" tall box.

I'm a bass head and have been trying to increase bass to full ranges.

double horns

Hello,
why do you chose that driver, no data, expensive for the quality,
easy make a coil ~8 mH at + of the seccond driver.
Look your country look SICA.

in my double horns you can increase the bass around one oktave deeper in Bass,
your driver is not useful in horns.

Attachments

• RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 447
Using two drivers will allow you to EQ the low end more to your liking without running into trouble as soon as with one.
In other words you increase dynamic range.

Using two drivers, it's a terrible waste to low pass filter one of the drivers.
Instead you have a chance to improve directionality of the top end.

To combat attenuation due to interference in the highs do one of the following:
- Splay the drivers (angle them out from each other horizontally).
- Put the drivers one above the other as close as possible. That will limit the radiation pattern vertically which can be beneficial in certain settings and is was to accommodate in many cabinets.
- Finally, you could put one of the drivers on the back in bipole setup to have it reflect of a hard back wall.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Splay the drivers (angle them out from each other horizontally).

This has been quite effective with the microTower Castle builds, one driver forward firing, the other facing up Ooptionally with the top panel canted slightly forward). Chris is just about to embark on another version of these for his living room (i think it will be iteration #3).

dave

This has been quite effective with the microTower Castle builds, one driver forward firing, the other facing up Ooptionally with the top panel canted slightly forward). Chris is just about to embark on another version of these for his living room (i think it will be iteration #3).

dave

Wouldn’t that be vertically then? I was thinking more along Time Window or Epicure MT1.
But still yeah, that’s another approach.

Last edited:

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Using 2 FR drivers does not get you any lower, it only gets you more.

2 FR drivers does get you lower, if you use a 1.5 configuration. That means, you take out one driver fairly low with a coil. Using 2 in parallel isn't advised because you'll get interferences and you'll lose the main reason to use a FR anyway because you don't have a point-sound-source anymore.

2 FR drivers does get you lower, if you use a 1.5 configuration. That means, you take out one driver fairly low with a coil. Using 2 in parallel isn't advised because you'll get interferences and you'll lose the main reason to use a FR anyway because you don't have a point-sound-source anymore.

That’s not the main reason. You’ll get pseudo PS with a lot of other driver configurations.

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Not true. Gives you more not lower.

No, that's completely wrong! Doing 1.5 does not give you more headroom in THD, IMD or power. None of it. The one driver still has to do the same work, the same excursion, the same power, the same frequency range. You either get more bass SPL or deeper bass, depending on your XO and enclosure. So, no, it does not give you 'more'. You clearly have no concept about how a .5 system works.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am of course assumming the same enclosure parameters, ie 2x the box size.

If you use a parallel filter on the 1.5 you get 6 dB more bass, usually too much so EQed down you have less power flowing to the drivers, if you do not, then yes the same excursion etc but 6 dB louder.

If you use the series configuation the levels remain the same but driver excursion falls to a forth and you can turn everything up more before encountering the same excursion, etc as a single driver.

dave

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I am of course assumming the same enclosure parameters, ie 2x the box size.

If you use a parallel filter on the 1.5 you get 6 dB more bass, usually too much so EQed down you have less power flowing to the drivers, if you do not, then yes the same excursion etc but 6 dB louder.

No, it won't be louder, only in the bass!

If you use the series configuation the levels remain the same but driver excursion falls to a forth and you can turn everything up more before encountering the same excursion, etc as a single driver.

That's also wrong! It's only the case if you let them both run over the full range. But then you won't have a point source anymore, you will have interferences from the upper mid and higher and you won't have deeper basse either.

I'm actually quite sad you cannot grasp the concept of a 1.5 (or 2.5) system. I did not expect that inability from you.

Please stop it with the point source. YOU clearly have no idea of who you’re addressing.
The Qts of the drivers is still the same. Same sound in the same cab.
Only difference is dynamic range.
What happens outside the box is a different matter, but that’s not the main issue here.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
From the document i posted earlier it should be clear that i meant 6dB only below the turn over point of the filter.

I well understand 1.5 way. In the series configuration, the extra efficiency of 2 drivers is countered (close to exactly) by the decreased power at LF due to the system impedance doubling… half the power going in and that now split between 2 drivers. So each driver gettin a forth the power, so one can play 6dB louder before running into the same power level limits as a single driver )since those limits are almost always in the bass).

When using a parallel filter one needs to be very careful to set the filter point at or below the baffle step point to use baffle step to cancel (at leasty partially) the gain in level — best done in a room aided by measurement

In the series connection the where is much less critical, just needs to be below the quarter wave-length of the centre-to-centre of the 2 drivers.

I rarely find the need for, or use BSC so the series connection makes the most sense for me.

dave

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Please stop it with the point source. YOU clearly have no idea of who you’re addressing.
The Qts of the drivers is still the same. Same sound in the same cab.
Only difference is dynamic range.
What happens outside the box is a different matter, but that’s not the main issue here.

Ah, well, the only reason you want to create a 1.5 system is acutally to keep the point source. That's in- and outside the the box the same but actually matters outside. Oh and that doesn't matter who I'm adressing since the physics apply if you are 'addressing' it or not.

not that it matters, but jbl had a paper showing as you double the drivers, the excursion halves, and the harmonic distortion drops to a quarter.

I liked my dual 4" run wide open versus using 1 driver as baffle step.

Baffle step is tricky because the Impedence usually goes up, but not always on some drivers.

I found baffle step woofer made zero help at tv volumes, it helped louder, and really made a difference at beyond 105db or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.