Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Peerless 3" computer speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2018, 02:51 PM   #1
champ222 is offline champ222  England
diyAudio Member

Default Peerless 3" computer speakers

Hi All

I bought a pair of Peerless 830987 drivers on a whim when i spotted them on ebay.

Spec here:

https://www.tymphany.com/wp-content/...LS-P830987.pdf

I quite fancy making some little speakers for my PC at the office.

Ive plugged the numbers into WinISD (i used this when i fiddled with speakers years ago) and i get a strange response whatever i do.

Since these arnt going to create any sort of reasonable bass anyway, how much of an impact will the box design make?

the biggest i would want them physically, works out about 2 litres (0.07 cu ft) If i halved that, would it really make much difference?

Usage is just regular PC usage, youtube videos, bit of music etc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Old 12th February 2018, 05:01 PM   #2
mikejennens is offline mikejennens  United States
This speaker DIY thing, it's pretty addicting!
diyAudio Member

Part way down the page are the results of Bass Box Pro with this driver. According to this, you might be surprised at the bass you can get.

Peerless by Tymphany 830987 3" Full Range Woofer

Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 12th February 2018, 07:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike

Thanks for that, ive been on that page but hadn't spotted that.

Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)
Sealed Volume 0.1 ft.³ Sealed F3 98 Hz
Vented Volume 0.22 ft.³Vented F3 59 Hz

the sealed option comes out at about the right sort of size. 0.22ft3 will be a bit bigger than i'm looking for.

I may play around with the dimensions though and see if i can make the ported design work, if you think its worth trying?

Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 07:39 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would try it if it looks like it will work for you. Those dimensions are only optimum, so smaller might work for what you want, especially if you plan on adding a subwoofer. If you wanted to go with something tall that you could set on each side of your desk, you could look at the Cyburg Needle or the TABAQ.

There is quite an involved thread on this forum concerning the TABAQ.

(Turbo) Electronics: Cyburg's Needle

http://coolcat.dk/bjoern/TABAQ_TL_for_TB.pdf

Mike
Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, Paul Carmody's Sunflowers, Jeff Bagby's Continuums; Planet 10 HiFi's MarkAudio A 7.3 Frugalhorns and MarkAudio CHP-70s, Nola Brio Clones with a Voxel Sub and a bunch of others...
Old 13th February 2018, 12:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks

Playing around with the dimensions, 2.5 liters (just under 0.1 cuft) is about the largest i could go for this project.

Those links look like cool projects, but its not what i'm looking for right now.

So looking at WinISD below, the blue trace is sealed, the red is tuned to 60Hz, and the green to 75Hz.

Ive chosen 22mm for port diameter, which should fit in the box ok for both examples.

Click the image to open in full size.

Unibox gives me a similar shape:

Click the image to open in full size.

would i notice this lumpy response? is it worth it to have a lower bass extension?

These will be used either side of a PC monitor at TV volume largely... perhaps a bit more when i'm in the office on my own.

Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking the lumpy response might not be very noticeable since it's only slightly more than 3dB max. If these will be close to a wall, that might help. If they are going to be more than a few inches from the wall, you might want to look into a baffle step correction (BSC) filter. That might also help smooth the lump.

Loudspeaker Diffraction Loss and Baffle Step Compensation Circuits

Mike
Old 13th February 2018, 12:44 PM   #7
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Considering it's a pretty small driver, I'd probably be happy with sealed f3<100Hz, which is achieved here.

Such a high-Qt driver in a vented box will always be somewhat lumpy in low-frequency transfer function. In your case, the 150Hz hump is a sign that the enclosure is simply too small. The lower kneepoint is the vent's contribution, which can be smoothed out to a certain extent if you play with the various damping and leakage parameters (Ql, Qa, Qp), but it's then often a trial and error process to reproduce the exact effect in a real enclosure.
Old 13th February 2018, 12:47 PM   #8
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejennens View Post
I'm thinking the lumpy response might not be very noticeable since it's only slightly more than 3dB max. If these will be close to a wall, that might help. If they are going to be more than a few inches from the wall, you might want to look into a baffle step correction (BSC) filter. That might also help smooth the lump.

Loudspeaker Diffraction Loss and Baffle Step Compensation Circuits

Mike
I think it'll be the other way around. The lumpy response will mitigate the baffle-step to a certain extent if away from walls, but likely sound boomier the closer it is to other room boundaries.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
Considering it's a pretty small driver, I'd probably be happy with sealed f3<100Hz, which is achieved here.

In your case, the 150Hz hump is a sign that the enclosure is simply too small...
Yes, the enclosure is too small really, but its a compromise (perhaps too much) because thats the max size i want to box to be.

the advantage of going sealed, is that i can drop the size of the enclosure even further, to say 1.8 litres, without a huge effect on the response... want to avoid a subwoofer though.

I have some rough boxes from an earlier project that i could make some new front panels for, i'll dig them out and see what volume they are...
Old 13th February 2018, 02:21 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Peerless 3&quot; computer speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IG81 View Post
I think it'll be the other way around. The lumpy response will mitigate the baffle-step to a certain extent if away from walls, but likely sound boomier the closer it is to other room boundaries.
Thanks for the correction. Looking at it again and heeding your words, I agree.

That's what I love about this group.... a guy can learn something everyday.

Mike

Peerless 3&quot; computer speakersHide this!Advertise here!