Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Dallas II Build
Dallas II Build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 04:50 PM   #11
Kyngfish is offline Kyngfish  United States
diyAudio Member

Hopefully I only have to build these bad boys once. The tilting router table would be awesome but the plane should be able to tear through that wood fairly quickly. Let’s find out!
Old 19th February 2018, 12:07 PM   #12
fb2017 is offline fb2017
diyAudio Member

I have built myself a pair more than a year ago, still enjoyign them as much as in the first day.
18mm all the way, it is a big difference if you use thicker stock. Under NO circumstances I would use thinner stock, as it will certainly be prone to resonances, sound colouring, etc...

The plans you shared, they are made for 18mm stock, you can do the math on the geormetry, and they are what I've used. If somebody is updating the plans (Planet10?) I do have a very efficient cutting arrangement, that allows reducing the material losses by quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyngfish View Post
Attachment 661120

Hi All - I started breaking down some Baltic Birch stock last night and drawing lines for a Dallas II build. I'll post pictures here as I progress - but I had two quick questions:
  • I noticed the plans shared on the forum were made for 1/2" stock, my baltic birch is 3/4" I don't especially want to start redrawing, how big a deal is that 1/4" internal dimension? Should I redo?
  • I have a track saw, table saw and sliding miter saw, so I think I'm good with the tools. The miter should easily handle the 11+ inch width for the angled cuts. EXCEPT that 12 degree cut on the 28 inch board. I'm trying to visualize the best way to do it, but the only way I can see is by standing that board up and hoping those 12 degrees clear my miter housing. Anyone else have any clever ideas? Chisel? Handsaw? Sandpaper?

Thanks!
Old 19th February 2018, 07:08 PM   #13
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dallas II Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbf View Post
If somebody is updating the plans (Planet10?) I do have a very efficient cutting arrangement, that allows reducing the material losses by quite a lot.
Thanx.

Please forward it to me and i will add it to the plans. I have added the reference to 18mm, but need to go over the plans and see if there is anything else i can add to the plans before posting the update so the timing is ideal.

dave
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Update and question

Hi all. So. Making progress on the build. I followed the plans here from Planet10 for measurements and applied them to the cutting plans also attached. Fairly easy. I broke it all down with a track saw and it all looks fairly accurate. The interior pieces will be cut down from a series of long pieces all the same width. 11 1/32”. In looking at the pieces I think track saws being what they are and my own human error - over the course of the long cuts I’m off by that 1/32” at times. Should I stick these things on the table saw and true them up or just not bother?

Thanks!

477543A9-61DE-42C0-BA51-C1253E8400E6.jpg
Dallas2-plans-redraw-251215.pdf
IMG_4178.PNG

Last edited by Kyngfish; 3rd March 2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 3rd March 2018, 07:19 PM   #15
IslandPink is offline IslandPink  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm going to have to start on one of these myself some time this year, been looking at the design and Ron Clarke's posting for ages. Very interested to hear what you think .
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:34 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dallas II Build
True is more important than exact size. Note that the imperial measurement is an approximation of the (to the mm) metric native sizes.

dave
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:16 PM   #17
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

I re-rip everything so that the odd discrepancy will be cleaned up. That said, having all your 90 degree cuts accurate is vital when so many angled panels are involved. No wonder people gravitate to cnc if they can afford it.
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:33 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
I re-rip everything so that the odd discrepancy will be cleaned up. That said, having all your 90 degree cuts accurate is vital when so many angled panels are involved. No wonder people gravitate to cnc if they can afford it.
Lol. I think if I could afford it, Id still try to do it with a table saw. Using a computer is cheating.
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:43 PM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Dallas II Build
CNC — unless 5-axis won’t help with trimming the ends to the righ angles, and would likely be slower. And it won’t cut any straighter than a CNC panel saw or well setup an doperated table saw. More waste too.

dave
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:20 PM   #20
phivates is offline phivates  United States
diyAudio Member

Agree on the cheating. 20th century attitude. I don't want a router to do the work of a proper saw even if one can plop a panel onto the thing and watch it do every step. Too easy!

Dallas II BuildHide this!Advertise here!