CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Well, there is no such thing as a magnetic arc. Yes, it's called MAOP. But it's MICRO Arc Oxidation Process or Plasma Electrolytic Oxidization. What happens there is the surface of a metal (mostly aluminium) is heated up, 'burnt' by a microscopic small arc of plasma, the metal upper layer oxidizes and becomes ceramic in the process.

yeah, thanx - my goof there

edit: Dave - invalid link on second URL?

Last edited:
Thanx guys. What a shame that most of those MAOP got hoovered up and are in non functioning collections. Knowing my tendency to procrastinate, I need to build the cabinets first and then buy the drivers. Most likely a BR.

I've got several pairs of drivers waiting to be built into an active 3-way not including the subs. Open heart surgery last summer kinda put a slight crimp in my plans last year, but now that spring is coming, my shade tree wood shop will be usable again.

Bass-reflex vs Aperiodic relating to MA drivers? How do high aspect slot vents work?

I've been looking at those Fonken style enclosures and they look intriguing, but complex to build with my limited wood working space and tools.

I could put the largest diameter port in and stuff it with loosely compressed polyfill and experiment with slowly opening up the center.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aperiodic is typically suited to higher Qts drivers that you have trouble putting into a box. To get bass out of the Mark Audio, they need to be put in a vented enclosure (horn, TLs included). I am not a big fan of typical BR enclosures, whet the miniOnken do with their high aspect ratio slot vents is add an R to the vent, pushing them towards aperiodic (but they aren’t aperiodic), and increase their tolerance to the dynamic changes in T/S parameters (that lead to a typical tightly tuned reflex enclosure moving in and out of tune with the dynamics of the music or the setting of the volume control). One tends to get a small box and articulate, nuanced bass. But one is constrained with the alignment and bass only goes as low as it goes.

If one wants more bass there are some outstanding horns and TLs (mostly ML-TLs).

If one is using the MA driver as a midTweeter there is a lot to like about aperiodic midTLs where the goal is to suck up as much of the back wave as possible and to flatten the impedance curve.

dave

Steve - there are several designs in the "-Ken" family that use very simplified (high aspect ratio) slot ports on the bottom - or sides for horizontally oriented center channel applications.

For example, several variants on the CGR dMar-Ken for A7.3 ; http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/CGR-dMar-Ken73-190216.pdf

Over the past dozen years or so, this topology has proven to work well enough for most of the Mark Audio and Fostex FE and FF series drivers we've tried. Of course volumes and vent tuning details vary per driver and application. It's hard for me to keep track these days, but no doubt drawings exist for the Pluvias as well.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Pluvia 7, so far has fit into the EL70 boxes with no, or little, changes. There is a small set of P7 specific drawings, and we provide the EL70 set along with it. If you find an EL70 box not yet turned into a P7 box, just ask and we’ll check.

There is at least one freely available CGR (Classic Golden Ratio) box for most of the drivers we do miniOnken designs for, usually in 15mm material. Designs for other material thicknesses, cut plans, damping plans, other sizes (ie A10p) ar ein the paid plansets.

dave

One thing I've noticed about MA xmax specs is that it's past the linear limit even if it does so gracefully. it's really the xmech limiters if I'm understanding the cautionary break in notes correctly. I'd say MA's xmax limits are closer to Tang Band's. Don't know how graceful Fostex or TB are concerning exceeding their xmax limits on dynamic music.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Fostex tend to be quite graceful. In th eearly days some people were turning the cones of CHRs inside out by pushing them too hard. They all now come with the “arrestor” which audibly tells you when to turn the wick down. I still don’t know what that sounds like. The slow break-in with varied content is to ensure that the spider & the surround do not gain a “memory" which would affect the reproduction of fine details.

dave

Hi Dave,

Can't seem to find the link in P10: Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

I was able to get a 1st Gen MAOP driver and its on its way for delivery. Just wanted to get more info on the results or performance of the MAOP drivers. I intend to switch it with my Alpair 10.3M in an FHXL box that I am currrently using.

Hoping that I would be getting an improvement on the MAOP drivers.

Regards,
JoeyGS

Not all of these threads were lost, just archived. Mark deleted a lot of the threads before leaving, but i found 2 relevant threads and have moved them to the P10 forum:

Enabling, MAOP on Markaudio drivers
Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

dave

......with Fostex drivers, but the ones I've heard behave gracefully enough when pushed beyond Xmax......but they handle dynamically rich music quite well IMO.

Indeed they do; original driver designs all had under hung motors, so while Xmax could be as little as near zero there was often quite a lot of usable travel before the VC left the gap, so created a fairly euphonic distortion as its effective motor strength [Qts] weakened with increasing excursion, reshaping the driver's response to something akin to adding a progressive baffle step compensation [BSC].

Not nearly as accurate a reproducer as power requirements go up, but overall I much prefer them if for no other reason than I can hear where the driver limits are whereas the CSS/MA drivers there's no warning, just a 'clang' when the VC bounces off the back plate.

Fortunately, the few pairs I have 'clanged' repeatedly are very well constructed with no obvious change in performance, but sooner or later if I don't do something to protect them.......... :(

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t know what to say… this is what i get.

attachment.php

Caches?

dave

Attachments

• MAOP10-thread.png
    MAOP10-thread.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 453
Yeah, after I posted I remembered that sometimes when I post an old link I find it had come from 'somewhere' in my computer with no way to make it 'live' unless already in the web archive, which in this case is only the 'invalid kink' page.

So, anyway to somehow make it 'live' again even if just in the archive?

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.