CSS FR125S 'fullranger' anything comparable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Exactly how "near" you talking about, Steve? As Dave says, there are literally scores of small FR drivers from which to choose in this category - I have a couple of favorites, including members of the Fostex and MA stables.

Fostex FF85WK
Fostex FF105WK

MA CHR70 (now Gen3)
Alpair 5.2
Alpair 6P
Pluvia 7

Then there's the question of budget.

Someone mentioned TangBand. I got the W5-2143 (for me) and the W6-2144 for my sister. For the money I am really impressed with these little drivers.

Here is the W5-2143 in a box and the frequency response.

Attachments

• W5-2143 Freq Chart.jpg
    W5-2143 Freq Chart.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 551
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The FR125 was limited by its abrupt stop when pushed to hard — full force right to the end — it made a very disturbing sound. In the end we decided not to use them in any BR enclosures. Hence sealed or aperiodic enclosures that do not go as low.

I haven’t directly compared to the FR125 but i do know the Pluvia 7 has really good LF potential.

dave

Perhaps planet10 or others can chime in as they certainly have more experience than I with Fostex drivers, but the ones I've heard behave gracefully enough when pushed beyond Xmax. Sure, they won't do club-level bass-heavy techno in any kind of sustained manner, but they handle dynamically rich music quite well IMO. I listen daily to a pair of FF125K (see my avatar) with an almost non-existant Xmax of 0.15mm and they have no issue playing at satisfyingly loud levels near-field.

I had 4 of the MK CHBW-70s which had a plastic frame and did not seem sturdy to me. I ended up using them in my friend's synergy for his mancave.

I had 4 of the VWR126X drivers in an OB and I found them pretty impressive for the mid-range. Build quality was quite good.

I have had a fair amount of drivers (yes, I do have a problem) and I am very impressed with the TangBand build quality and capabilities for the money.

Attachments

• OB pic #1.jpg
    OB pic #1.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 388
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
CHBW-70s which had a plastic frame and did not seem sturdy to me.

I like the plastic baskets… less ringing compared to aluminum or steel. One does need to be careful with the screws (but that is the case with all drivers — too tight is not good). The new Pluvia baskets improve the tech.

The CHBW is really a midbass… the top end is purposely shelved down about 15 dB at 5kHz.

dave

My two cents:

I never heard and know nothing about the CSS FR125S, so please read my comments in light of that fact. I own and have directly compared these drivers to each other: Tang Band W8-1808, W5-1611, W5-2143, Markaudio Alpair 10P, Alpair 10 Gen. 2. I have tested them both on a 48" X 48" baffle and in a variety of cabinets, all within one meter listening distance. Since the W8-1808 is an 8" driver and requires a fairly large cabinet, I think we can discount that one for your stated usage.

All of these drivers produce what I would call acceptable sound quality, but my favorite, the one I think has the best tonal balance both on and off axis, is the Tang Band W5-2143. It models well in a small bass reflex cabinet, but the limited Xmax restricts the bass output. If you can live with that limitation you will be rewarded with a driver that produces a smooth and detailed sound that is equally superb at both lower and higher volume levels.

Steve - for that close a listening distance, I'd suggest either the Alpair6P, or Fostex FF85WK. The latter is a bit more forward and dynamic in the mids, but in a nearfield application punches way above its weight class. I run a pair very compact pair of boxes with little Topping TP30 amp .

I've heard the FR125, and as Dave noted earlier, it was a helluva driver 10yrs ago, but there's more from which to choose these days. Of course there'll be lots of other suggestions - careful what you ask for, analysis paralysis is almost guaranteed at least once in a while .;)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.