Options for tangband 1772 enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi! I have been living with these drivers for the last two years in the standard blh from the tangband site. While I love the midrange and tremble the bass leaves a lot to be desired. Is there an enclosure design that can perform better under 200hz;I have heard good things about Bob brines tl designs. Any other options ;I have also started thinking making a two way speaker with a large woofer handling bellow 200hz how does this sound to you;Thanks in advance for everyone taking the time to give me his thoughts

TB enclosures

Hi,

take a view on my HP,
look the Saxophon, RDH20, Posaune XL, or with sub the Schalmei

Attachments

• RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    RDH20 TB1772 monacorSPH-210 web.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 405
  • posaune XL ANS8  TK.jpg
    posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 406
  • schalmei_rieth5web.jpg
    schalmei_rieth5web.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 420
  • oskarr1.jpg
    oskarr1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 419
Sounds like what I've been struggling with.
I don't need rumble, but want more slam in the midbass.
I started with big 3-way vegas 25 years ago.
Now i like time alignment and detail.

I came to the conclusion that no way a 10" full range run wide open plus single capped tweet crossed to a sub (150hz or lower) would equal the tactile bass (even at low volume) of my double 15's that were crossed at 750hz.

So i ran the 15's with the full range.
But the 15's in parallel are 9db hotter than the full ranger.
So i turned the bass knob from +6 to -6.
Worked well but i was getting too much maybe from 300hz - 800hz.

So i now run the wide range wide open and the sub crossing at 150hz.

But since the z curve isn't steep on my 15's, i will order a 1.6mH inductor sometime.
That should give a low pass 6db roll off (and -6db) at 400hz (4ohm load).
Then turn the bass down, that would lessen excursion on full range driver = cleaner.

So, you can parallel a more sensitive, smooth frequency response driver with your 8", then play with a 10 band eq to see if you like the results.

Good luck and keep us updated.

What Is on my mind for now is to make a ported bookself enclosure for the 1772 and under that put a sealed 15 inch woofer crossed around 250hz with a first order crossover (I will need to find professional help for that cause my electronic skills are non excisting). I think I will have to look at a driver 8ohm around the same sensitivity as the 1772 for the base am I right;Also I use tube amplifiers based on 300b tubes with output of 8 watts I hope this combo doesn't fry my amps.. Or should I look for separate powered woofers for the bass;

I have discussed with some friends and they explained to me that the best way to go is different amps and a minidsp hd for crossover and equalisation. I think that that's a good solution in terms of quality and ease. Also I get to keep all of my 300b juice for the midrange I love! So minidsp hd on it's way! p.s I already own umic so cost is OK.

Karlsonator8 tunes 41Hz

http://i.imgur.com/tnbO9Yy.png

xrk971's proposed XKi for 1772 (and Beta10cx)

http://i.imgur.com/yKHZPMq.jpg

GregB's wide - shallow box

Album Archive

a DBR would be one option - look at Zobsky's w8-1772 comments

(the K-slot horn referenced was a BLH by RCA-Fan and intended more for 206 type parameters. The slit vent K12 was Karlson's 1956 - onwards Karlson 12 which (usually) had a 6-slit distributed port. That distorts badly on sine but works pretty well with music. A single port of their combined area would play sine quite well)

Please define "compromise" - zobsky - High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.