Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

8" Full Range driver for use in 2 way system
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2018, 11:43 PM   #11
hollowboy is offline hollowboy  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard500 View Post
I am now looking at FaitalPro 15PR400 woofer. Trols Graveson uses this in his latest OB15 system. This has a smooth response out to 4k, much better response than Eminence drivers, so this should allow me to push crossover up a bit and use 6" FR driver as you suggest. Qts of this driver is around 0.32 so in an OB I may need ro add some low end EQ but this is not a problem.
I guess you've noticed that DJ city have them at a good price. They also have the 15HP1060, which costs 50% more, but has shorting rings and a larger Xmax.

Quote:
what are your thoughts on a good 6" FR driver?
Where in Melbourne are you?

I dunno about good, but some drivers you could listen to before ordering something:

Total Recoil (repair shop, Thornbury) was previously selling their own FR drivers, I think for $800 a pair. On quick appraisal, they looked like basic Lowther clones, and sounded OK. You could get an idea of the FR-with-whizzer sound.

I have a load of drivers and parts including a small collection of wideband drivers (near Edinburgh Gardens). You could get an idea of the FR-with-no-whizzer sound.

Quote:
I have implemented passive line level crossovers in my bi amp system [...] All calibrated by ear of course. The only tool i have used is a DVM and its no good for measuring SPL. But i think i got it to balance pretty well.
If you (and your colleague) are still calibrating by ear, I could possibly help. I have some test gear, and would like an excuse to hear the Eminence + EV horn system
Old 30th January 2018, 01:02 AM   #12
gazzagazza is offline gazzagazza  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Highly recommended is the quarter wave site. Martin King offers guidance on what you are attempting and if you gain access to his Mathcad worksheets you can model what you are planning and know it will work first time, crossover and all.
Old 30th January 2018, 01:13 AM   #13
hazard500 is offline hazard500  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
I guess you've noticed that DJ city have them at a good price. They also have the 15HP1060, which costs 50% more, but has shorting rings and a larger Xmax.

Where in Melbourne are you?

I dunno about good, but some drivers you could listen to before ordering something:

Total Recoil (repair shop, Thornbury) was previously selling their own FR drivers, I think for $800 a pair. On quick appraisal, they looked like basic Lowther clones, and sounded OK. You could get an idea of the FR-with-whizzer sound.

I have a load of drivers and parts including a small collection of wideband drivers (near Edinburgh Gardens). You could get an idea of the FR-with-no-whizzer sound.

If you (and your colleague) are still calibrating by ear, I could possibly help. I have some test gear, and would like an excuse to hear the Eminence + EV horn system
Hi Hollowboy, seems lie we are (were) almost neighbours, I lived in Fitzroy for 7 years before a growing family forced me out to a bark yard and bbq in Eltham. But Edinburgh Gardens is still only a 25min drive down the Eastern....

Thanks for the offer of help, I will send a PM and we can take this off line.
Old 30th January 2018, 02:18 AM   #14
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

I'm really like my TB1808's with Beta15's but I don't know much. Going to try Jordan's next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0204.JPG (136.9 KB, 483 views)
Old 30th January 2018, 11:57 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane77g View Post
I'm really like my TB1808's with Beta15's but I don't know much. Going to try Jordan's next.
I am glad that Tang Bands are working for you.. i would love to hear some but we don't even have a dealer in Australia.
Old 30th January 2018, 02:25 PM   #16
mkane77g is offline mkane77g  United States
Always Learning
diyAudio Member

TB was mentioned numerous times hence my post.
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:13 AM   #17
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowboy View Post
The 15HP1060 gets a thumbs-up from me. Keeps up with the Beymas.

Chris
Old 9th February 2018, 01:13 PM   #18
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Well, since you are ribbon kinda guy, you want to try the Neo planar8 or planar 10? Goes Don to the frequency you speak off...
Old 10th February 2018, 01:51 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Well, since you are ribbon kinda guy, you want to try the Neo planar8 or planar 10? Goes Don to the frequency you speak off...
Thanks I just had a look at these drivers... I am having some trouble reconciling the quoted frequency range for the Neo Planar 10 (150Hz to 6kHz) with the FR graph ... response at 150 Hz is 82 dB, than at 200 Hz its 85 dB then drops back to 83 dB at 250 Hz. This wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for what comes next - from 250Hz to 8.5kHz, responses rises 20dB to 103dB!!! So at a minimum you need a tweeter which is exactly what I don't want, and you have a huge rising response to tame. I am not sure what application would actually suit this driver.

but I am glad that you mentioned this - for I have a pair of BG RD75 tweeters parked in my spare parts room. I bought these around 18 years ago, and used them for over 10 years ago until i built my home made ribbons. So they have been largely forgotten until you reminded me of the BG drivers - what a great idea!! The big BGs are very highly regarded in some circles, and you have now given me an idea for my next project - 4 12" drivers per channel, 2 each side of a BG RD75, 1st order crossovers around 500Hz. My current set up (maggies and ribbons) follows this approach albeit crossover is around 666 Hz in deference to my somewhat more fragile home made ribbons. This gives incredible sound and its my design goal for all my speakers. There are some nice FR speakers around but they are not going to give the SPL and kick that I am now looking for. So I think that I am stuck with a 2way system for now - the big BG can deliver this but the smaller ones are not going to meet design targets.

Thanks, Hazard
Old 10th February 2018, 04:53 AM   #20
oon_the_kid is offline oon_the_kid  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Wow. Those have been out of production for a while now..

As for the crazy response, the answer is in the text. The speaker drivers were measured without Baffles hence the drop in lower frequency response..

But in any case, use the RD in your store room... Couldn't afford it while it was still available...

Oon

8" Full Range driver for use in 2 way systemHide this!Advertise here!