Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Acoustic treatment of HIFI-room / bedroom
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th January 2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic treatment of HIFI-room / bedroom

Hi

I'm turning my bedroom into a very nice hifi room. I've never been a fan of TV to be fair, so I'd like to get rid of it and setup proper acoustics for my Dali Zensor 7 speakers. They perform very nice, and but I might upgrade them in the future, but I'd rather upgrade the acoustics before I start investing in better speakers. I'd therefore hear if you guys could help me. I don't have exact measurements of all walls, but I know from recordings that there is a terrible response-dip around 120-180hz (perhaps a bit lower actually) and I'd like to know how I can improve the rooms acoustics. The room is 2,6m x 4,5-5m and is 2,5m tall. There is a big sleeping-couch in the end and there's carpet on the floor. I was thinking about investing in diffusers for the backwall above the bed, but perhaps I should go for 2 basstraps (total 2meters tall) in the corners next to the couch.

Room - semi-bad acoustics - Album on Imgur

The sound now is not very warm, and I'd like it to be warmer. And also to improve the kick. What do you reckon would be a good solution? Also consider pricepoint, since I'm not gonna invest too much into this.

Thanks!
Old 26th January 2018, 11:07 AM   #2
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hi, you are going to struggle in a room that small with the speakers in the corners, where is your listening position? This technique can be helpful in a small room DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments
Old 26th January 2018, 11:12 AM   #3
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Hi, you are going to struggle in a room that small with the speakers in the corners, where is your listening position? This technique can be helpful in a small room DECWARE - Article about Setting up a Listening Room without Treatments
I sit on the bed and listen. Currently I move the speakers away from the corner. Like 20 cm from both back and side wall
Old 26th January 2018, 11:18 AM   #4
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

As an experiment, try moving the speakers a lot further away from the corners and listen near-field and see what happens to the dip, if anything.
Old 26th January 2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Grymer is offline Grymer
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
As an experiment, try moving the speakers a lot further away from the corners and listen near-field and see what happens to the dip, if anything.
I suspect that it is the side-walls that are killing the kick. The walls are about the lenght of 120-130hz apart.
Old 26th January 2018, 12:47 PM   #6
perceval is offline perceval  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Bass traps are a must. It will help the cancellations around that 150Hz.

If your time is precious, then there are products out there. If you have time and the inclination, you can build your own.

Also, you will need a dampening panel behind the couch to kill that reflection.
It can be done tastefully by using a frame, some absorption material and a picture printed on cloth over it, or just plain colours.

Look at the Led Zep panel behind this couch, it is meant to kill that early reflection coming back. You will need something like that since the couch is directly on the wall.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th January 2018, 02:19 PM   #7
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Start measuring to see what you have, works way better than to assume.
Learn how to read the measurements, they can show you what you need.

What a familiar looking room above
Old 26th January 2018, 04:27 PM   #8
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DIY diffusors. Sound Diffusers 101: Free Designs for DIY Diffuser Panels

The best way to deal with bass issues in a room is multiple subwoofers. Geddes, Tool & Olive have a lot to say.

dave
Old 8th July 2018, 10:05 AM   #9
jwicaksana is offline jwicaksana  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hello, bumping up this thread because this fits my situation and this thread is one of the more recent on this subject.
I am having a similar situation. Room is 230x290cm with 270cm tall ceiling. Before I tried placing the speakers on the long end, but the wall behind the speakers is a big window. The left wall is a drywall and the right wall is concrete. In this setup I can place two absorber panels on each side. I am just worried about the front wall being glass. In this setup, the sound is thin, bass is weak.

Recently I moved the speakers to a corner, following Decware's paper. This results in a more pleasant living space, but the audio is boomy in the mid to midbass area. My front wall is now a concrete corner.

Any pointers what I can do? Moving room is not an option right now, and I don't enjoy headphones as much as I do speakers. Thank you very much for any suggestions.
Old 11th July 2018, 09:44 AM   #10
wesayso is offline wesayso  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Do you have a measurement microphone?

Acoustic treatment of HIFI-room / bedroomHide this!Advertise here!