Alpair 6M for Cyburgs Needle / BR M.A. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If I braced the side panels could i squeeze them down to 12mm?

12mm would do fine… bracing always helps but you’d probably be OK without it. A holey brace, that also braces the driver to the back of the box would be worth going for. You’d want to increas e width by 8mm to account for the volume of the wood in the brace (assumming 30-40% holes)

dave

Thanks, I will have a good think about how to go about it.

Is the height and position of port the most crucial element to this deisgn? Eg, you mention increasing width to accommodate the brace, can it be thinner/ deeper as well? The port would change by 8 mm width.

But like you say, this may be academic as bracing isn't essential.

Thanks to Scott as well!

12mm would do fine… bracing always helps but you’d probably be OK without it. A holey brace, that also braces the driver to the back of the box would be worth going for. You’d want to increas e width by 8mm to account for the volume of the wood in the brace (assumming 30-40% holes)

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’ve updated the drawing & link in my earlier post. Scott did specifiy a Zvent, but that goe sout the window with th eslot vent.

You can change the aspect ratio as long as the net cross-section remains at 13cm2. Don’t make it too skinny (early reflections leed to cupped voices) or square

You have to take care with the slot vent version if you change aspect… the length, width & height of the vent all change.

dave

That's brilliant, thanks!

What does look appealing to me is to switch the depth and width around to 118mm deep by 110 wide as per the original spec. Sorry to trouble further but if I went with the slot port how would I change the port dimensions? I take it that the width of the panel making the slot is part of the length of the port?

I’ve updated the drawing & link in my earlier post. Scott did specifiy a Zvent, but that goe sout the window with th eslot vent.

You can change the aspect ratio as long as the net cross-section remains at 13cm2. Don’t make it too skinny (early reflections leed to cupped voices) or square

You have to take care with the slot vent version if you change aspect… the length, width & height of the vent all change.

dave

12mm with no brace fits my implementation best as I will be using the higher mounting position for the driver and at that position bracing will be ineffectual. Am I right in assuming that?

Wow, you're up late bro, rest! And if you do have time for the slimmer 12mm non braced slot port version at 110mm wide I would be bowled over, thanks for all the work so far!

Easiest to just leave it and fire it out the side… its time to go to bed (03:15 here), do you want it out the front and 12mm with a brace?

I can figure that out tomorrow.

dave

Last edited:
Hi, thanks, had a look but the doc is still the same? Really interested to see it, thanks!

All internal measurements are the same, I take it?

It turns out the switch to 118mm depth is pretty much compensated for by the reduction in material thickness so the vent does not change.

I have added this detail to the plans and th elink updated in earlier post.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.