Alpair 6M for Cyburgs Needle / BR M.A. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I am about to order some Alpair 6m drivers as they are priced very reasonably here in the UK and have good reviews.

I plan to use them in two configurations. The first is the Cyburgs Needle. The main thread on the needle suggests it will, has anyone had any experience? I want to build these just to switch up from my main set up for a while in my front room.

After I have had my fun I want to use these drivers as 5.1 surrounds in the mark audio recommended BR enclosure.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/pdf/markaudio-enclosure-plans/Alpair6M-BR.pdf

Has anyone had any experience with this cabinet and driver? Will it be appropriate for surrounds in a set up consisting of 5" woofer/tweeter speakers for LCR? I understand one should try to match each speaker in a 5.1 but GF isn't having it.

I see the Planet 10 tube vented design that looks similar in size but with a much larger port. Is this design superior?

In both instances the speakers will be driven by the HIFImeDIY T1-M amp supposedly putting out 50 watts ish.

Also, any thoughts on using and working with the Alpair 6m are appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I’d be careful about putting the A6.2m in a random ML-TL like the Cyburgs. It could work fine.

Scott did an ML-TL for the A6.2s but we were loath to release it because we figured that it put too much load on the drivers. Since then a Baby Lab has been released, being a tapered TL aimed at the desktop not as much load.

If you point me at the needle i can compare it to the Woden A6.2 specific line… i might even draw that one up and release it.

The A6.2 does work well in the Frugel-Horn Lite and provides a shocking amount of bass (really the 1st harmonic, but you don’t notice that until directly compared to a box that really goes down).

The Mark Audio relflex is a bit smaller than the optimum Mar-Ken but it should be fine… i am not a huge fan of conventially round pipe vents.

dave

Graham - I've not heard the MA website BR design, but have lots of experience with numerous Fostex and MA drivers in smallish vented designs. As I did over a dozen years ago with MDF vs BB ply, some time ago I built a couple of pairs of small BR boxes for Fostex FE series drivers with both round ports and DaveD's narrow slot ports.

I only have my anecdotal subjective observations - which apparently doesn't qualify as a data-set - but I've always found the high aspect ratio slot vents to deliver smoother bass response from just above the tuning frequency to below than the round ports.

This little guy http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMar-Ken6-1v0-map-231009.pdf
is one of Dave's designs that sized and vented accordingly has been very successful with a wide range of drivers in this size class

For a compact floorstander similar to the footprint of the Needle, there's probably a Pensil - another topology with which I've had some experience - and then as Dave notes, the FH-lite

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I forgot to mention Chris’ A6m surrounds… we put them into a specially shaped (to aim them properly when mounted up in the corners) 2 litre sealed box.

Note that the mMar-Ken chris points at is for the A6 (Gen 1) and while it is close to the A6p millSize, it is too large for the metal cone driver.

dave

Thanks, good advice. I was drawn to the Cyburgs as people say it works with a wide range of drivers but when something sounds to good to be true... I could just burn them if they don't work.

The Baby Labs you mention, could you point me in the right direction for these, please?

I want these to be thin and floor standing for the first phase in my plan.

I’d be careful about putting the A6.2m in a random ML-TL like the Cyburgs. It could work fine.

Scott did an ML-TL for the A6.2s but we were loath to release it because we figured that it put too much load on the drivers. Since then a Baby Lab has been released, being a tapered TL aimed at the desktop not as much load.

If you point me at the needle i can compare it to the Woden A6.2 specific line… i might even draw that one up and release it.

The A6.2 does work well in the Frugel-Horn Lite and provides a shocking amount of bass (really the 1st harmonic, but you don’t notice that until directly compared to a box that really goes down).

The Mark Audio relflex is a bit smaller than the optimum Mar-Ken but it should be fine… i am not a huge fan of conventially round pipe vents.

dave

Thanks, that's all very interesting. I might try some rectangular vents then later down the line and see.

Who doesn't like non-empirical statements! :)

Graham - I've not heard the MA website BR design, but have lots of experience with numerous Fostex and MA drivers in smallish vented designs. As I did over a dozen years ago with MDF vs BB ply, some time ago I built a couple of pairs of small BR boxes for Fostex FE series drivers with both round ports and DaveD's narrow slot ports.

I only have my anecdotal subjective observations - which apparently doesn't qualify as a data-set - but I've always found the high aspect ratio slot vents to deliver smoother bass response from just above the tuning frequency to below than the round ports.

This little guy http://frugal-phile.com/boxlib/P10free/mMar-Ken6-1v0-map-231009.pdf
is one of Dave's designs that sized and vented accordingly has been very successful with a wide range of drivers in this size class

For a compact floorstander similar to the footprint of the Needle, there's probably a Pensil - another topology with which I've had some experience - and then as Dave notes, the FH-lite

Graham - note that as Dave commented above re the mMarKens I mentioned above, and the Pensil on Mark Audio site are for the earlier A6 - although for intrepid modelers the revisions required to suit the newer A6.2's T/S parameters should be a piece of cake - indeed, may have already been calculated, just not published yet?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Scott's Baby Lab for A6.2 = Stinger, should be page 7 of the planset referenced in Dave's link above.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-081015.pdf

Just a question - what effect might unfolding such a design to a tall pipe have on the imputed LP filter effects of the multiple 90dg corners? - Oh, I see addressed by Dave above - too much multi-tasking on 5 hrs sleep and only one coffee so far today.

That sounds interesting and a decent challenge for my lack of inexperience here. Although, would I just be setting myself a challenge when the Kurt Nielsen design is already there?

Yes, those sides have a kind of old school Cadillac tale-fin vibe.

Woden Design 3" Box Designs, Baby Labs & more

You could straighten these out and then turn the steps into an even taper and get something similar to Kurt’s design. You would need more damping with out all the low-pass filters at the bends.

dave

Got it, thanks!!!

Scott's Baby Lab for A6.2 = Stinger, should be page 7 of the planset referenced in Dave's link above.

http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Woden-BabyLabs-081015.pdf

Just a question - what effect might unfolding such a design to a tall pipe have on the imputed LP filter effects of the multiple 90dg corners? - Oh, I see addressed by Dave above - too much multi-tasking on 5 hrs sleep and only one coffee so far today.

Wow, not what I was expecting at all! Looks great, I'm looking forward to getting going with this. Thanks, very generous of you.

If I braced the side panels could i squeeze them down to 12mm?

I've always towed/tilted my speakers and monitors so, great.

Not tuned as low as the Needle, Scott feels going that low is pushing the driver too far. Suitable for either of the A6.2.

I present Sasquatch. http://wodendesign.com/downloads/Sasquatch-A62-ML-TL-260118.pdf

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.