Alpair 6M for Cyburgs Needle / BR M.A. Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I like the sound of a big puffy mass...

OK, I will try on the weekend to remove the old wadding and insert newer fluffier masses. Tho, I wonder if it would be beneficial to start again with ply?

The structure you want is no structure… one big puffy mass.

Here is what 40g of acoustastuff looks packaged/teased

40g-acousta-stuff.jpg

dave

Don't look here for an argument against using decent Baltic Birch plywood. ;) A trick of another designer of similarly configured enclosures - and I think Scott wouldn't mind saying one that's been around for decades - would be to make the rear panel removable on cleats to allow easy access to adjust amount & distribution of fill.

And even on something as compact as these, a little bracing never hurts

Attachments

• 7.3 Penils MarKenT 003.jpg
    7.3 Penils MarKenT 003.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
I'm starting to regret my shortcuts!

If I add cleats surely I will change the cross-sectional area and volume of the design, tho?

Don't look here for an argument against using decent Baltic Birch plywood. ;) A trick of another designer of similarly configured enclosures - and I think Scott wouldn't mind saying one that's been around for decades - would be to make the rear panel removable on cleats to allow easy access to adjust amount & distribution of fill.

I just had a thought... (Danger zone)

If I jigsaw out a very straight rectangle from the rear I could use the cut out and mount it to another panel so it could fit back in being secured by screws around the edge. Poorly doodled image attached.

I could put foam tape on the seems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 208
I don't think the slight decrease in total CSA / volume from adding cleats wouldn't be significant enough, but if concerned, your idea could certainly work. The cleats on Pensils above were 18mm square, and they also incorporated closed cell foam weatherstripping tape - not shown in the photo.

I have reassessed the fluffy mass and plumped for a fluffier filler. Hopefully once I have this in the issues will be solved.

I listened to the port very carefully with my ear to it and I could hear clear vocals. I guessing that once I get the stuffing right it will have a knock on effect to the other frequencies?

When listening to TV with them voices are very boxy and resonant with a dip somewhere in the upper mid (?).

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    489.4 KB · Views: 170
Right!

I have semi finished them! I rounded over the vertical corners, installed proper stuffing and painted them. A lovely peach colour to match our pastel front room.

The stuffing was the issue, they sound completely different and tonnes better. Though, I can still hear a little bit of mid frequency coming through the vent. I added 10-15g of stuffing to see if it would help but it is the same. I don't know if this is actually an issue as I have them crossed over at around 100hz with two sealed Tang Band 6.5" subs using a Minidsp balanced unit and they sound great with this sub reinforncement. I alter the crossover frequency a fair bit and I have set them as low as 80hz with no issues.

I have a question regarding the top end of the FR. Somethign was missing from the sound so I tinkered with Minidsp and ended up boosting at around 7.5khz at 2db with a Q of 0.5. I've attached a wonky shot of the EQ. Ignore the low end, I'm taming room modes. Is this common for this driver? Do others have experience with boost treble to make it sound right?

The drivers are 1mm proud of the recess, is this an issue? Also, does the slim cabinet and roundover edges have any impact on FR?

I am jolly pleased with the outcome so far, thanks to Scott and Dave for this design, very happy.

I am thinking of building something out of the Alpair 10p, maybe a 5.1 set up with this pair as rears. Is there a similar design that is tall and slim that would work? The accidental MLTL idea could be an idea but if I just design a tall bass reflex cabinet and port it as normal will I encounter more issues than benefits if this does not take in to account the quarterwave physics?

Really enjoying full range drivers at the moment!!!

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 97
The A10P and.3 have been around long enough that there's plethora of proven enclosures for them - I've heard & built probably half a dozen different designs. My personal favorite for sonic performance is the FHXL, but for simplicity of build and smaller footprint, the Pensil* is definitely worth consideration - I'm currently using a pair myself as front mains in a 7.1 system with all MA drivers.

*As with all of Scott Lindgren's designs, there's nothing "accidental" about the final published art.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sasquatch is really a derivative of the Pensil concept, so a set of Pensils would be the 1st suggestion… do note that the A10p & A10.3 versions are slightly different.

Scott & i have also recently designed Poplar (which may be the 1st of a series) that are shallow & deep with an overdamped tuning so that near or on wall placement works. These will be paid planset(s).

http://wodendesign.com/planset/Poplar-A10x-MLTL-teaser.pdf

dave

Having fully read the AMLTL I can see there is a lot of hate for the concept haha. I see why now.

The Pensils are a bit fat for my situation, unfortunately.

I found this design that seems little more than a modelled bass reflex in a tower form. The stuffing is not present in the same was as an MLTL however, the length suggests there is more at play here than meets the eye?

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/pdf/markaudio/mark6_2d.pdf

Ah, I see, thanks for your opinion. Is it possible to get decent results from a cabinet of that form?

Domestic life prohibits anything wide or bulky. I would be looking to cross over somewhere between 70-100hz. My understanding is a need a flat response for as deep as I can to ensure a smooth crossover.

Have you considered building the Cyburg Needle Deluxe Bamboo using the Tang Band W4 1320sif driver?

(See Needle Deluxe Bamboo | DIY )

I've built a pair and I'm very, *very* happy with them.
I built them for in my 270sqft kitchen thinking they'd be "okayish" for the time being, but they actually blew me away with their clarity and bass response (imagine that, from a single 4" driver :)) and now they're here to stay :)

(My speakers : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/65061-range-speaker-photo-gallery-369.html#post4933327 )

Have you considered building the Cyburg Needle Deluxe Bamboo using the Tang Band W4 1320sif driver?

(See Needle Deluxe Bamboo | DIY )

I've built a pair and I'm very, *very* happy with them.
I built them for in my 270sqft kitchen thinking they'd be "okayish" for the time being, but they actually blew me away with their clarity and bass response (imagine that, from a single 4" driver :)) and now they're here to stay :)

(My speakers : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/65061-range-speaker-photo-gallery-369.html#post4933327 )

Nice looking speakers mate!

Finally I have had the chance to get these going outside. Wow, very very nice and so glad I don't have to deal with room modes.

They can't reach very high volume out here, the low end gets a little confuse when pushed but what a treat!

Impressively articulate and so low.

Apologies for the garden, this is the first I have had the weather to get out since the winter and the garden went wild!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.