Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MarkAudio CHR-70 enclosure
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2018, 06:48 PM   #1
mariusro is offline mariusro
diyAudio Member

Default MarkAudio CHR-70 enclosure

Howdy,

I've got this fun project in mind.. I have an ellipsoid enclosure of about 10.67 liters (cannot change size). This is the starting point Looking for a reasonable priced fullrange but with good quality, I chose Mark Audio CHR-70 as a candidate.
Should I choose a sealed or ported enclosure? Doesn't seem like a big difference for this particular project. I would not expect the best bass response from this enclosure type and size.
For vented, I calculated a 35 mm port diameter with a length of 80 mm for a Fb of 53 Hz.
I'm thinking also of a 280 uF capacitor in series as a high pass filter, to protect more the speaker under 70 Hz, but I have doubts as to add any crossover components here.

Any ideas? My knowledge on the topic is quite limited. Thanks!
Old 5th January 2018, 07:17 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

CHR was the primary candidate, or have you already pushed the go button? If not, I'd suggest the Pluvia7.
A far cheaper approach for HP filter would be a PLLXO on the input of the amp driving the speaker - assuming of course you're not driving other speakers with it as well.
Old 5th January 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you have not already gotten the CHR the Pluvia 7 is a more suitable candidate and, IMO, is better sounding. It also does not require a rebate for the bezel. The P7 is not that much more expensive.

The optimum size i use for the CHR is 9 litres and for the P7 11-12 litre.

dave
Old 6th January 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wow, yes, seems a better idea, I'll go for the Pluvia 7! I've thought of several speakers, but this one I skipped, indeed. I am very curious of how it might sound in a Frugel-Horn. The ellipsoid enclosure might look interesting, but I suppose a Frugel-Horn might take the driver to it's full potential...

Thanks for the idea! You guys rock, as always!
Old 6th January 2018, 08:32 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The P7 works well in FH3. It is very much voiced like the A7.3 but is physically a bit more robust with a more durable cone and the new basket. It gives up some DDR to the A7.3 and has T/S that, so far, means it fits into enclosures originally designed for EL70 with little or no change.

dave
Old 17th January 2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Kingshuk is offline Kingshuk  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
The P7 works well in FH3. It is very much voiced like the A7.3 but is physically a bit more robust with a more durable cone and the new basket. It gives up some DDR to the A7.3 and has T/S that, so far, means it fits into enclosures originally designed for EL70 with little or no change.

dave
Hi Dave,
Does that mean that the P7 would work for the Woden Design enclosures designed for the CSS EL70?
Old 17th January 2018, 05:56 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

So far it slots right in to the enclosures as is, but there may be roomn for a tiny bit of optimization by adjusting the vent. We have talked about going thru the entire Lake District document but other work keeps getting in the way.

dave
Old 9th April 2018, 05:58 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Project finished
They sound nice, lows are more than expected, waiting a bit more on running-in because I feel they lack a little in the upper midrange - lower treble area.
Thanks guys for recommending Pluvia 7!

Old 9th April 2018, 06:51 AM   #9
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

mariusro,

Nice speakers, well done!
Old 9th April 2018, 11:31 AM   #10
sideways is offline sideways  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wowsers well done!!

What did you use for the enclosures??

MarkAudio CHR-70 enclosureHide this!Advertise here!