Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Onkyo Wide Range for FAST/WAW
Onkyo Wide Range for FAST/WAW
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2017, 06:30 AM   #1
Supertzar is offline Supertzar  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Onkyo Wide Range for FAST/WAW

Hi everyone, I recently salvaged a pair of AlNiCo 5" Onkyo wide range drivers from some old bookshelf speakers. I tested them in a pair of open baffles, and I thought they sounded alright. Dave from Planet10 Hi-Fi was kind enough to measure their T/S parameters.

He suggested an open baffle built to specific dimensions to cancel out their strong peak around 160 Hz. Unfortunately I don't have the room for proper sized open baffles, so I was kind of at a loss for what to do with them.

Recently I started thinking about putting them in a heavily damped sealed enclosure with a high pass filter to flatten out their response. After fooling around with Hornresp a while I came up with a design that uses a 5 L Sealed enclosure with a second order high pass filter. The small enclosure moved the resonant peak up to about 250 Hz, with a steep roll off below that frequency.

What I'm wondering is, could a woofer be effectively crossed over around 250 Hz to these Onkyo drivers, even with such a steep roll off? What sort of woofer would work best? I'm also thinking the Onkyo's will need a BSC circuit.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0366mod.jpg (199.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0367mod.jpg (162.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg FRD Normal.JPG (40.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg FRD Filtered.JPG (39.4 KB, 102 views)

Onkyo Wide Range for FAST/WAWHide this!Advertise here!