Use of different model of driver for a recommended back horn enclosure? sizes same.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The horn-load usually doninates but one has to be careful of substituting a different driver, particularily if there is no mechanism for tuning the horn to the driver.

Why not look at the Frugel-Horn Mk3? The W5-1611 has been successfully used in this horn — one does have to usea supraBaffle to make it fit.

dave

Hi Dave,

thanks.

Pardon my question I am new to this .
You mention that I have to use the supraBaffle to make it fit. I see pictures that don't seem to use the supraBaffle - Frugal-horn with small Ash waveguide, Tang Band W5-1611SAF… | Flickr ?
The reason I ask is, my wood work skill is level zero right now and I want to build a horn speaker with minimal wood work as I can get away with.

thanks.

GM

Joined 2003
This type horn design is pretty tolerant of T/S specs, so why not just make it a bit wider to give the driver some breathing room? Worst case is it will need extra damping and/or some series resistance. 'BIB' rules in horn design. ;)

GM

Ok, all that information confused me :), just realized what a huge ocean it is here.
So I sorted the front page of "Full Range" forum by views and saw 2 links next to each other - one TABAQ and another "Foam core board enclosures". So I guess my first build will be a FOAM TABAQ. Was even able to find a plan for TABAQ with W5-1611S.
Appreciate any guidance I can get.

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.