Coral Beta 8 with 2x Eminence Beta 10B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been listening to my Coral Beta 10B's in reso cabinets and now it's getting hard to see past their shortcomings. Midrange is still wonderful, but top and low end are missing. Also, lower midrange is very coloured due to the lightweight cabinets. Last year I bought a pair of Coral Beta 8s, which should have a better high frequency response. Sensitivity is approx. 94-95 dB/W/m. I would like to pair them with a pair of Eminence Beta 10 woofers per side to augment the low range from about 100 Hz downward, aiming at a -3dB point of 40-45 Hz.

I found a lot of projects combining high sensitivity full rangers like the Fostex FE206 with a 12 or 15 inch Eminence or Beyma, but I couldn't find any drawings for a configuration with 2x10 inch woofers. I'm new to speaker building and calculating - apart from my reso enclosures, which hardly require any skill or knowledge. Also, I found it hard to calculate for two woofers per side instead of one. Are there any plans available for this configuration? Or would I have to stick to a 12 or 15 inch woofer to reach the desired bass response?

Coral Beta 10B in reso cabinets:

IMG_0922 | Coral Beta 10B | Remco Bruins | Flickr

I was mucking around with my Coral 60F-10 on OB in unison with Eminence Beta 15A.
Sound pretty decent but my final thoughts, one might have to relegate Coral as wide band
driver instead. Meaning a 3 way including a super tweeter. This would mean adding a band
pass XO on the coral which might defeat the purpose of a full range in the first place. Btw
I've listen to a friends Coral Beta & to my ears the 60F-10 sounds better & it's got enough xmax to build a two way.

Cherrs

Agree, without band pass XO on the Corals the concept wouldn't make sense, as the woofer is intended to relieve the Corals from their bass duties. I think I'll stick to the F.A.S.T. concept with just one 12" woofer, about which I found several threads. I might then combine it with a ribbon tweeter above ~14 kHz.

I've never heard the Coral 10F-60s. How would you describe their sound? I quite liked my Coral 10s - I found them pretty even throughout the 70Hz-12kHz range. The Beta 8s I haven't heard yet, but I was told they can sound rather 'forward', which can be tamed by a simple equalization network: Coral Beta 8 Fullrange Loudspeaker Measurements Data and Information Full Range

Hi Remco
Its very very even sounding nothing no nasties at all unlike the Coral Flat 8
that I have as well which has a honk at certain frequency. While testing the 60F
without Eminence, you could actually hear the lowest note in the double bass which
is about 40hz but without the impact. I would imagine this would sound great in a box
running full range with a super tweeter added. Speaking of which, I was expecting the
highs would be rollings off after 10k or so but listening to familiar music it lost nothing
much in comparison to my regular speakers ML Odyssey. Really really surprise, seems like
the guys who design this Coral really knew what they were doing. The cone is the stiffest that I’ve ever come across, supposely was coated by using corn mix. Very clever design I
might add. Little details that you don’t see in todays speaker design. Oh & its real heavy.
Seems like it has a cult following in Japan. If you can find a pair pls buy them, it’s a treasure find.

Cheers

Hi Sumotan,

The exquisite build quality of the Corals is one of the reasons I keep looking for them on ebay. I will try to find the 60Fs as well. I looked at the bass reflex cabinets as well, but my primary objective would be to use my Corals 8s as broadbanders, like the Hørning Alkibiades perhaps. Although the Coral reflex enclosures do look very pretty. I might build them for my Beta 10Bs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.