Golden ratio bass horn

I just aquired a pair of speakers. They are custom made by a skilled cabinet maker, based on the design of the original owner, the man who gave them to me, a former math teacher. He told me it is a bass horn designed in proportion based on the golden ratio. They have fostex full range drivers. The sound is wonderful and rivals the best speakers I've heard. I can get exact measurements later, the wood is 12 layer plywood. They are about 5 feet tall. Im wondering what you all think of this design, there are no folds inside just one flat piece of plywood going from the center to the bottom of the front baffle. Im not sure what exact driver is used. Thank you for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_5695.jpg
    IMG_5695.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_5696.jpg
    IMG_5696.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 729
  • IMG_5697.jpg
    IMG_5697.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 724
From the pictures the driver looks like it could be a Fostex FE20xE or FE20xEn series unit, but I could be mistaken as the images aren't close enough to tell properly.

Hard to say about the design without any actual dimensions, other than at least it's large (a good thing for horns), so it's acoustically efficient over its design passband. If there's no acoustic low-pass it probably has a higher upper corner frequency than I'd personally prefer, but YMMV as always, and we all have different priorities so that's observation only. It looks interesting & I hope you can post more details when time permits.

Last edited:
the front baffle is 18" and the internal dividing panel is 22" -my drawing is off but the measurements are correct. You can look at the photo to get a more accurate curve of the top. There is a flat part of the horn on the back as you rendered it, that is correct. The bottom of the horn does not have a flat part, as you can see in the photos, the bottom of the horn curves all the way to the front bottom

At a glance, it constitutes a simple offset driver pipe horn and since curves are used over most of its expansion it could be a 'golden ratio' flare even though it has parallel sides, with the downside that these cause a 'train' of eigenmodes along its length [AKA 'slap'echo'] like in a typical parallel wall room.

Without a whole lot of measurement points, no way to easily figure it's actual flare, axial length, hence do any sims unless a drafting program can work with less: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/51/0e/64/510e640a20baf4fcea8532b2c395b744.jpg

GM