Looking to build a full range speaker...either a horn loaded or array(open baffle).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
an ob with the Alpairs would require a helper woofer. Horns like the Frugel-Horns or big Wodens are fine by themselves — althou with HT it is alway since to have subwoofers for the explosions & train crashes.

dave
This will be for our living room HT with a 65" 4k flat panel.. I will use a small sub or use something like the ones I posted above which would support some small bookshelf style single driver speakers. My wife really likes something like the ones I posted in the link. They must be a DIY as there is no way I can afford those in the link. The Frugals Mk3s are an option as are the small single driver bookshelf size...decisions decisions.

Our dedicated HT has a 195" 2.4 AT screen and will have K402 speakers modded to Synergy style with big subs

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My wife really likes something like the ones I posted in the link.

Just the satelitte or with the woofer. The posted centre channels can be multiplied out to the LR and even the surrounds

They must be a DIY as there is no way I can afford those in the link. The Frugels Mk3s are an option as are the small single driver bookshelf size...

Not really bookshelf size unless you include the stand the bookshelf needs to sit on.

Lots of diy offerings for the Mark Audio, not the least of which are those in the planet10-hifi paid plansets (some of those are in eccess of 50 some sheets).

dave

Just the satelitte or with the woofer. The posted centre channels can be multiplied out to the LR and even the surrounds

Not really bookshelf size unless you include the stand the bookshelf needs to sit on.

Lots of diy offerings for the Mark Audio, not the least of which are those in the planet10-hifi paid plansets (some of those are in eccess of 50 some sheets).

dave
The ones I posted in the link were sitting on top of subs...I would think I could do the same with your small speakers too.

My wife liked the combo of both...so it would be satellite, and sub for left and right channels...with a pair of satellites for surrounds, and either your center or another satellite for the center.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Using a sub/woofer as the stands for a satelitte is often done but not necessarily the best place sonically for the woofer as far as interacting with the room.

We have many woofers in our plansets that are designed to fit as stands… most are helper woofers thou and not really subs. To match well with FRs you should probably be looking to 8-10” subwoofers with (uncharacteristically) extended HF response. I’ve not used many, my experience so far only extends to the CSS SDX10 (to be revived by the new owner), but i am always on the lookout for more.

The speakers i am currently listening too (Tysen V2) have the woofers integrated into the cabinet but they are small and only reach F10 35 Hz or so, not subwoofer territory.

dave

Using a sub/woofer as the stands for a satelitte is often done but not necessarily the best place sonically for the woofer as far as interacting with the room.

We have many woofers in our plansets that are designed to fit as stands… most are helper woofers thou and not really subs. To match well with FRs you should probably be looking to 8-10” subwoofers with (uncharacteristically) extended HF response. I’ve not used many, my experience so far only extends to the CSS SDX10 (to be revived by the new owner), but i am always on the lookout for more.

The speakers i am currently listening too (Tysen V2) have the woofers integrated into the cabinet but they are small and only reach F10 35 Hz or so, not subwoofer territory.

dave
Thanks Dave. When I was looking I mistook the Markels as the new center. I now see the center. How does it compare with the MK3s? What are the dimensions, and would they match well for a center and surrounds if I went that route?

The Harsh XO is just a MiniDSP, correct or was the MiniDSP what was used to design the crossover? I use MiniDSP crossovers in my amp for my HT setup.

Yes, you can implement the Harxch XO with the miniDSP unit, if you don't want to buy the components.

For something 2-3' tall. a TABAQ would also be nice, although with the size of your room, you could try the TABAQ Large.

Also nice to look at:

3590d1181775260-my-tabaq-build-tabaq-thumb.jpg

Finally, since I think your room is great for OB, and if you want smaller sizes, the NOLA clones are very nice. It would be very easy to build 5 of them, cheap, as the drivers (TC9) are about $12 each, or you could upgrade to the TG9, at about $20 each.

With the money left, get a second sub... you can never have enough subs. Plus, it will even out the bass response, which is full of peaks and nulls when using only one.

Also, good looking little things!

raso-image180.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How does it compare with the MK3s? What are the dimensions, and would they match well for a center and surrounds if I went that route?

Which driver? The 4” drivers are typically 9 litre, i’d have to look up the dimensions. All of the released ones are not much taller than the driver (just enuff to avoid early reflections. With the paid plansets, there are more variations, and one becomes entitled to at least 1 custom design… i just did a 4.7 litre “center” for th ePluvia 7 for use embedded in the ceiling. Most of the 4” could go into that same encl.ure or a variation (he had a very strict depth requirement. For the A10p & A12p they could go up to 17 litre. A12pw is typically twice that.

With the same driver as the FH3 they would sound the “same” but for bass extension and effects caused by placement. Centres are usually under the TV on the equipment rack and that means they are not in the “open”.

dave

Which driver? The 4” drivers are typically 9 litre, i’d have to look up the dimensions. All of the released ones are not much taller than the driver (just enuff to avoid early reflections. With the paid plansets, there are more variations, and one becomes entitled to at least 1 custom design… i just did a 4.7 litre “center” for th ePluvia 7 for use embedded in the ceiling. Most of the 4” could go into that same encl.ure or a variation (he had a very strict depth requirement. For the A10p & A12p they could go up to 17 litre. A12pw is typically twice that.

With the same driver as the FH3 they would sound the “same” but for bass extension and effects caused by placement. Centres are usually under the TV on the equipment rack and that means they are not in the “open”.

dave
So if I was to cross them over at 80hz and was using the same drivers as the mk3 they would sound the same? Do you offer a flat pack for them too? I am unsure about getting good plywood in San Miguel de Allende Mexico.[emoji852]

It would be nice if there was someone around here that I was confident in that could cut the wood for me.

Plenty of builds out there using the TC9FD the amazes people, from wesayso's twin Towers, the Nola Brio and their clones, and even X's mini karlsonators.

All of them saying they couldn't believe the quality of the sound coming from those little drivers.

I did mention that the TG9 could be used as well, but you just couldn't help dissing the TC9, eh?

I have a lot of respect for what you did in the past around here, but lately, it's been "copy/paste" of all the same posts whenever you see either MarkAudio or Frugel-something in the title or within a thread, instantly boasting on your own design and the "enabled" process that only you offer... and pointing to your commercial plans.

I wouldn't have a problem with it in the Business section of the forum, but this is the DIY section, and it has no place here, especially since you are an Admin of this site.

Of course, the "copy/paste" also applies whenever you see TC9... and the bashing begins.

It's kinda killing the spirit of the DIYAudio spirit...

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Plenty of builds out there using the TC9FD the amazes people, from wesayso's twin Towers, the Nola Brio and their clones, and even X's mini karlsonators.

These accolades were why i bought 2 pair.

All of them saying they couldn't believe the quality of the sound coming from those little drivers.

And i, and others, could not believe why that was from what we heard from our pairs.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So if I was to cross them over at 80hz and was using the same drivers as the mk3 they would sound the same? Do you offer a flat pack for them too? I am unsure about getting good plywood in San Miguel de Allende Mexico.

Yes, pretty much so.

I don’t think i have shipped a flat-pak to Mexico yet, but it is still in North America so shouldn’t be outrageous… so far, other than flat-paks that wen toverseas compliments of the US military, only one person has decided it was worthwhile pating shipping to get one overseas (an FH3 flat-pak with drivers to Singapore, by boat i expect 8-12 weeks transit).

Email me if you want to find out more.

dave

Yes, pretty much so.

I don’t think i have shipped a flat-pak to Mexico yet, but it is still in North America so shouldn’t be outrageous… so far, other than flat-paks that wen toverseas compliments of the US military, only one person has decided it was worthwhile pating shipping to get one overseas (an FH3 flat-pak with drivers to Singapore, by boat i expect 8-12 weeks transit).

Email me if you want to find out more.

dave
I have a Texas mailbox, and a local company comes up and picks up mail and packages every week. I have been told there is a cheaper option for packages, and will check into it too. The problem with Mexico is it includes the shipping costs into the duty amount.[emoji853]

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still debating on getting flat packs...if I can find a good source in Mexico to purchase the wood and do precision cuts it opens up my possibilities considerably due to shipping costs requiring a smaller speaker. I am hoping I can find someone within an hour from my location that is up to the task.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have decided to build 3 Klipsch k402 Synergy style horns, and 4 Klipsch Belle bass bins with generic 18" x 10" horns. I will be using EV DH1A compression drivers, and Emminence Kappa 15c woofers for all the speakers. Down the road I hope to build an Open baffle, and a full range single driver speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.