Recommend driver for 1.16 ft^3 box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have a couple ideas but maybe someone knows of a FR driver that can get from 40hz to 18 khz.
Box internal width is 6.5" and external is 8" wide. Box is a flat-pack tower from parts express.

Like to be ported.
Use with low watt amps, so driver needs to be 95 or better effecient.
$100 each max
Willing to compromise a little on specs and cost.

I have already tried pm6a, too finicky and costs too much.
Tried 6.5" point source parts express FR. Written specs on low end don't even come close to reality.

Any ideas, love crossover hear them.

That's a bit of a tall order at a glance.

With 95dB average system sensitivity (@ 8ohm), you'll be lucky to hit 40Hz as f10 in this relatively small Vb. Most drivers that I can think of that come somewhat close will be a good deal more expensive than 100$.

FF225WK tuned to 45Hz will be about -8dB @40Hz in this volume with 93dB mid-band sensitivity, not counting any BSC. It's not a bad alignment once you factor room gain, I've ran mine in similar for a while. It's a good-sounding driver, but it does not hit 18kHz.

Just my 5¢ (no more pennies in Canada :) ).

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I have the cabs. Was going to be a 3 way, but I want/need a sensitive speaker for several low power amps. Rather then build a new box, prefer to utilize the 1.16ft^3 boxes.

I know its a tall order. Willing to be reslistic about a FR choice. I do have a couple of subs to use with a FR, but wanted to keep it pure.
I found that 40hz has enough info to keep things interesting. Perhaps 45 or 50hz does as well. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1.16ft3 = 32.85 litre.

1st question. How big are the amps? 1-2W?

You won’t find a 6.5” that is as efficient as you'd like. And 6.5 wide internal is less than i’d like for a 6.5” driver. Can you mount driver on the side?

If the box is a tower, you may well have to consider it as an ML-TL not a BR.

The only Fostex that would be close would be FF225wk as already mentioned. A bit wider than i’d use in that narrow a box (and it would have to be mounted on the side). The FExx6 series are not suited to reflex or TL boxes.

2 FF165wks might be made to work — the volume works, F10 in the mid-high 40s, 95 dB efficient, 98 dB senstive (4Ω), likely not enuff volume for an ML-TL.

2 SEAS FEA18RCZ get into the F10 low 30s sealed, 95.x sensitive (4Ω). Could be vented and reach F10 high 20s.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The PE 8" point source FR driver has a recommended box size of 1.15 cu ft.
— PS220-8

My miniOnken alignment stends to yield “small” boxes and uses 60litre = 2.12 ft3. Also, reports of efficiency seem to indicate that the spl is optimistic, like the Visaton B200 picked off the graph somewhere up were the FR has risen significantly.

And for an 8” i like to see at least 9” inside the box.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Typically we recommend 10w minimum for the Alpairs — the least efficient is about 87 dB, but that same driver works well in my room (large) with 2A3 SE as long as i don’t play it much louder than a bit above my normal listening level. The 5W ACA i am now using cover everything but party levels.

Unless you like to play at ear damaging levels or have a hard clipping amp you do not need that high of efficiency.

dave

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I don't like to listen at high volumes. 90db is surprisingly loud. I forgot.
Yep, I have the ACA too, now remember you saying you had one recently.
My Sonus Faber are 86 db, 6db down at 40hz. From this i made my original assumptions.

So Alpairs go above 90db? Though they stayed around 87, 88db.
Wouldn't mind trying them. They still in production? Saw they now produce entire speakers.

Thx.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My Sonus Faber are 86 db, 6db down at 40hz. From this i made my original assumptions.

I suspect they have an ugly impedance curve which any SE amps (like the ASA) won’t be happy with.

So Alpairs go above 90db?

A10p/A12p are 90 dB.

Your boxes are small for using the Pensil alignment, (8x11 inside, 35.5 tall) but an ML-TL alignment could probably be figured (Scott? Paul? Anyone?). For a reflex (assumming the quarter-wave action can be minimized) you’d need to use 2. That would take you to 93 dB efficiency, 96 dB sensitivity (4Ω).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the pulvia 6.5" looks impressive. 88db might

Pluvia are good, but the 2nd tier. At about a ½ dB less and less money (on sale) the A10.3 is a better bet (does need lots of break-in). I personally prefer the A10p, it is the same price.

ML-TLs are a bit different, but P11 likes 9 litres in my miniOnken alignment, A10.3 13 litres, A10p 17 litres. If you go reflex that is a lot of brinks in the box.

Pensils for P11 & A10.3 are the same xSection, A10.3 is taller than for A10p, P11 slightly shorter.

Scott also specified a “normal” ML-TL for P11 35” tall but smaller cross-section than what you have so i’d expect an ML-TL could be made to work in the volume you have (i haven’t looked up the height of your box yet).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Guess i didn’t go far enuff down.

Kinda short to be a tower. Shorter than the miniTower whitch is pushing it to be an ML-TL and bigger xSection but not quite as short as the COmpact Floorstander were i overcome the QWL action.

dave

PS: treating it as a BR one wouldn’t have to toss the shelf-braces, they would even work to fight QWL action.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.