Pair of CHR70.3's Just Ordered!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now to decide what enclosures to put them in. They will be used as desk top near field PC monitors and I'd like to make the cabinets as small as I can get by with to preserve desk space (there is no nearby wall either). Any recommendations are appreciated. If these turn out to be good, I will probably add a sub for a great 2.1 system. I'm hoping that these will sound really good. I've seen some good comments about them here. I'm kind of worried about the soldering of the speaker wires to the terminals, with those plastic pieces nearby.
Thanks,
Clay

If you think of adding a subwoofer, 8L sealed, or a bit smaller with more stuffing, looks good to me, especially with the built-in elevated mid-bass. Even without a sub I'm sure it'd be fair enough in the bass department. Will they have their back to a wall?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That 4.7L enclosure is for a bass reflex cabinet or a sealed one?

Vented. Here are sealed sims. Looks like 7.4 litre net will give you a Q suitable to XO to something underneath, F3 = just under 90 Hz. Do note that the damping pluff you use inside the box will increase the effective size of the box, so something like 6.3 litres is a good target.

attachment.php

We use 24g solid for internal wiring (and usually for external to). A pair of stands pulled from a length of CAT5 cable.

dave

Attachments

• CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    CHR-70g3-sealed.gif
    23 KB · Views: 502
If I went with the Pensil cabinets, I would have my raised laptop monitor between me & the speakers, which would mess up the imaging. I am experiencing this same issue in another room. Based on this problem, I believe that the smaller desktop cabinets sitting on each side of my laptop would be the better option. Does anyone put their Pensils on stands to raise them up higher? - that's the only thing that I can think of to solve my issue with their placement.

Last edited:
Yes, I sit here & surf the web on my laptop while listening to music via youtube. I am using a pair of Paul Carmody's "Hitmakers" from Parts Express currently. These were my first and only speaker builds thus far. They are about 28" from my ears. I typically don't crank them up very often though. My wife sits about 8' from me most of the time and she doesn't like loud music. I'm not all that fond of it either these days!
I like the look of your Slim Classic GR dCHR-Ken70 design.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Generally yes. The big bezel of most of the Mark Audios is ideally rebated. Also important is to champher the back of the driver cutout (whether tidely with a router or crudely with a rasp). You can succeed by using 2 layers the top layer as thick as the bezel (6mm). The material can be cork or wood or felt (or layers of felt.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.